Adestne

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Adestne

Post by Lucus Eques »

Saluete!

I was wondering where the accent would fall on adestne; I realize -ne is enclitic, but I never actually thought about its effect on pronunciation in a combined word like that. Quid putatis?
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Come to think of it, what happens for something like rosa liliumque? Does the stress fall on the -um-?

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Cyborg
Textkit Member

Post by Cyborg »

I think it's adestne and liliumque.
that's because in lilium the iu are both short, so it cannot be a
diphthong. so when -que is used, the stress falls on "um" alone (not "ium").
in "adestne" I simply cannot see why would not the stress fall on "est".

anyway, that's just what I've read so far. let us both wait for the experts. :)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Cyborg wrote:I think it's adestne and liliumque.
that's because in lilium the iu are both short, so it cannot be a
diphthong. so when -que is used, the stress falls on "um" alone (not "ium").
Okay, the relative stress was my question, not specifically regarding the "um" or "ium" — however, if the 'i' is short, it will act somewhat consonantally, more like an English 'y' than a completely distinct vowel. uide Italian pronunciation.
anyway, that's just what I've read so far. let us both wait for the experts. :)
Indeed.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Cyborg
Textkit Member

Post by Cyborg »

liliumque sounds the strangest thing.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

The stress always falls before an enclitic. There is some argument as to what constitutes an enclitic for the sake of accent, but you're safe to put the stress immediately before an enclitic -que, -ue, or -ne. When you get a word like itaque or ubique, it is not as clear because the enclitic is inseparable from the word if you want to preserve its meaning.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Besides, in adestne and liliumque penults are long by position. Hence they should be stressed anyway.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

Cyborg
Textkit Member

Post by Cyborg »

benissimus wrote:The stress always falls before an enclitic. There is some argument as to what constitutes an enclitic for the sake of accent, but you're safe to put the stress immediately before an enclitic -que, -ue, or -ne. When you get a word like itaque or ubique, it is not as clear because the enclitic is inseparable from the word if you want to preserve its meaning.
You reminded me I read about this itaque case somewhere... I remembered: it was on A+G. Here it is:
A+G pp. 7 wrote: a. when an enclitic is joined to a word, the accent falls on the syllable next before the enclitic, whether long or short: as, dea'que, amare'ue, tibi'ne, ita'que (and...so), as distinguished from i'taque (therefore). So (according to some) ex'inde, ec'quando, etc.
I just cannot imagine why would anyone need to append the -que to an "ita".

mraig
Textkit Member

Post by mraig »

Cyborg wrote: I just cannot imagine why would anyone need to append the -que to an "ita".
The same reason that we might say "and so" when we could just say "so". Sometimes you just want your meaningless connective to be two syllables instead of one.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

mraig wrote:The same reason that we might say "and so" when we could just say "so". Sometimes you just want your meaningless connective to be two syllables instead of one.
Mm, very well put. Locutus benissime.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Cyborg
Textkit Member

Post by Cyborg »

Oh, I did not know -que could be used with adverbs too. I thought it were only for nouns.

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

Benissimus quoted A & G:
ita'que (and...so), as distinguished from i'taque (therefore)
mraig wrote:
The same reason that we might say "and so" when we could just say "so".
The way I understand the A & G quote is that ita'que and i'taque have totally different meanings.

"Therefore" and "and so" are synonyms.

I understand that ita'que (and...so) is used when one wants to use the enclitic -que (and) as a conjunction and ita (so) as an adverb.

The ellipsis given in A & G between "and" and "so" indicate that in English other words intervene.

E.G. It was stormy, and it rained so heavily that flooding was likely. ("Therefore" or "(and) so" are not suitable here.)

Magistra