I know it's a lot to ask but.....

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Deccius
Textkit Neophyte

I know it's a lot to ask but.....

Post by Deccius »

Salvete omnes,

Did I translate this correctly?

Ubi Hannibal puer novem annorum erat, pater eius, nomine Hamilcar, ad Hispaniam multis cum militibus navigare parabat. Multis ante annis Romani Hamilcarem in bello vicerant; ab Carthaginiensibus insulas Siciliam et Sardiniam ceperant. Nunc in animo habebat Hamilcar ad Hispaniam transire et ibi imperium novum condere. In Africa manere nolebat puer Hannibal, itaque patri appropinquavit.
"Pater, pater!" clamavit Hannibal. "Duc me tecum ad Hispaniam! Noli me in Africa cum pueris relinquere!"
"Sed tu puer es," respondit pater, qui eo ipso tempore omina ad aram consulere parabat. "Viri Carthaginienses, non pueri, hostes Romanis sunt."
"Si ita cogitas," inquit Hamilcar, "necesse tibi erit id iure iurando affirmare." Manum filii in capite victamae posuit.
Hannibal, "Ego semper hostis Romanis ero," inquit. "Semper contra Romanos pugnabo. Non quiescam nisi urbem Romam cepero."
Itaque Hamilcar secum ad ad Hispaniam filium Hannibalem duxit. Multis post annis, ubi Hannibal dux Carthaginiensium erat, ingentem exercitum contra Romanos duxit; multa et mira perfecit. Contra Romanos diu pugnavit et eos multis in proeliis vicit. Numquam habuerunt Romani hostem ferociorem.

When Hannibal was a boy of nine years, his father, called Hamilcar, was preparing to sail with many soldiers to Spain. Many years before the Romans had conquered Hamilcar in war; they had captured the islands Sicily and Sardinia from the Carthaginians. Now Hamilcar was intending to go across Spain and to found a new empire there. The boy Hannibal was not wanting to remain in Africa, and so he approached (his) father.
"Father, father!" Hannibal shouted. "Take me with you to Spain! Do not abandon me in Africa with (these) boys!"
"But you are a boy," (his) father replied, who at that very moment was preparing to consult the omens to the altar(?). "The Carthaginian men, not boys, are the enemies of Romans.
"I am not a boy," said Hannibal. "If you are an enemy of the Romans, (then) I too am an enemy of the Romans.
"If in this way you think," said Hamilcar, "it will be necessary for you to affirm it by swearing to an oath." He placed the hand of (his) son in the head of a sacrificial victim.(?)
Hannibal, "I will always be an enemy of the Romans," he said. "I will always fight against the Romans. I will not rest unless I will have captured a Roman city."
And so Hamilcar took (his) son Hannibal with him to Spain. Many years later, when Hannibal was taking of the Carthaginians(?), he lead a huge army against the Romans; he accomplished many wonderful things. He faught against the Romans for a long time and conquered them in many battles. The Romans never had a fiercer enemy.

Thanks for your help!
Deccius

Ioannes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ioannes »

Not bad at all! You understood the text without difficulties. Grats!

I have some notes, though:

victima, although it's "victamae" in text (could be a typo. never seen that render before.), is an offer (mostly animal) for sacrifice.

(...) ubi Hannibal dux Carthaginiensium erat:

you suggested "when Hannibal was taking of the Carthaginians", this is a bit unfortunate.

Carthaginiensium is genitive (pl.), dux, a predicative to Hannibal, giving:
When Hannibal was the Carthaginians leader/commander.

------
I'll be back later. need to run.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Non quiescam nisi urbem Romam cepero

I think this should be: I will not rest unless I will have taken the city of Rome (not just any Roman city).

Hope this helps.
Ingrid