Latin study group

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Would you like to participate in a beginner's Latin study group (soon)?

Yes, using the Wheelock's Latin textbook
16%
Yes, using Latin for Beginners, by D'Ooge (available free from Textkit)
24%
Yes, using Beginner's Latin, by Collar & Daniell (available free from Textkit)
No votes
Yes, I would be willing to use any of these textbooks
16%
Yes, but I would only be willing to use the free textbooks
27%
No, I do not wish to join a study group at the present time
16%

Total votes: 37

benissimus
Global Moderator

Latin study group

Post by benissimus »

I would like to collect some information for a possible future Latin study group. Please do not vote for one of the textbooks unless you would actually join a group using that textbook; i.e. do not vote for a textbook just because you like if you already know Latin.

If you have an advanced knowledge of Latin and would like to help lead the study group, please PM me.
Last edited by benissimus on Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I have Wheelock, 3rd ed. And the others are available at textkit, there's no problem with the choice of textbook. And I want to begin Latin someday, only I have too little free time to devote in languages and currently focusing on Greek. And it is general agreement that you should not study both of them in parallel, that it could confuse you. But then again, I might never begin Latin if I postpone it until I get a good grasp of Greek. And I get more and more intrigued by the exposure to Latin here. :)

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

I would love for a new Latin group to start. Wheelock would be preferable for me since I have it in print, but D'Ooge is fine too, if that is more popular.

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

i'd prefer D'Ooge since i've been studying with it succesfully, it's really easy to get into it and it could be an option besides wheelock's (since they are some latin sutdy groups focused only in it)

a textbook plus a grammar book and complementary exercises would be great ! :D

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

I would prefer Wheelock

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

I would prefer Wheelock, too. However, I'd probably still join up if one of the free texts were used.

WB

Raider
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Raider »

I would prefer to use D'Ooge; the fact that it's free makes it the most attractive choice for me. Whichever book is chosen, though, I think a beginner's Latin study would be fun, and I'll most likely join.

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

i've heard a lot of good things about wheelock's but it'd be a little difficult for me to get it since i'm not in the US :oops:

anyway, any good latin text to start with is very welcome :)

HSingTnK
Textkit Neophyte

New Here

Post by HSingTnK »

Hi. I'm new here and interested in joining a new group. I took Latin for two years in highschool but I'm pretty sure its not likely I'll remember much, if anything. My daughter is using Artes Latinae but I like a more traditional approach myself. She has quit using it temporarily but will be doing it for credit soon so I figured if I joined a group, I could get a head start so I can be of help if needed. Also, how neat to brush up on it!

I would be willing to use any of the free texts if that is what the group is doing. I really am not in a position to buy another text.

Thanks in advance,

Zumzo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Zumzo »

I`d like to participate in a new Lating group!Sign me in :D
I voted for any of free textbooks

Marcus Regulus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Marcus Regulus »

I am partway into D'ooge, but I am early enough in it to still try a study group using the other free textbooks. I have a budget you know :D

Phonascus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phonascus »

I've been trying to teach myself for about a month now, and a group for either Wheelock or D'Ooge would be very welcome.

Marcus Regulus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Marcus Regulus »

Just a question -- do we have any idea when this is going to start? I think it would help me stay accountable so the sooner the better.

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

I'm currently working on Greek, but did also intend to brush up my Latin.

So I would be interested in a Latin group for beginners. Don't mind really which book is used.

Regards,
Adelheid

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Same question as Marcus Regulus: any schedule as to when this would be starting?

Just me being impatient.

Regards,
Adelheid

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I can't really give a date right now, it's only gone from idea to probability since posting this thread. It will not begin for at least a month. Latin for Beginners by D'Ooge is the book that will be used, since the poll clearly shows it is the most appropriate book.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I haven't voted (so as not to skew the results). But I might join in on this Study Group, it'll help me get back on track. I think Latin for Beginners is a good book choice since it is free and thus would be easily accessible by everyone.

RachelK
Textkit Neophyte

Post by RachelK »

If we use Wheelock's, I'd love to join!

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

benissimus wrote:I can't really give a date right now, it's only gone from idea to probability since posting this thread. It will not begin for at least a month. Latin for Beginners by D'Ooge is the book that will be used, since the poll clearly shows it is the most appropriate book.
It's just me being impatient, really, but is there news on this subject?

Adelheid

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Hi Benissimus,

I’m studying Latin with the D’Ooge book but, as I had only gone thought one third of the book, I would love to join a study group that uses that book.

Best regards.

Andrus

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

I wouldn't mind joining a D'Ooge group. Couldn't harm to make a thorough revision of the basics.
:)
Int

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

I use both books as supplements to each other, but my biggest problem is finding the time. I'd definitly try to make time!

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

D'Ooge

Post by Interaxus »

I just noticed that there is a copy of D'Ooge's Latin for Beginners currently being offered on eBay should anyone be interested (I already have a copy).

Cheers,
Int

Keegan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Keegan »

I might look at that copy on eBay. I would join a study group, I think I have enough time to do so. Is it starting anytime soon?

Beati Pauperes
Textkit Neophyte

Lovely!

Post by Beati Pauperes »

I love this idea. I would be willing to be part of this study group using Textkit's free tests. They have helped me a lot! Hoping this idea goes into construction, greetings to you all :D

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus »

i favour D'Ooge because i have no grammar (well, i knew what verbs, nouns, adverbs and adjectives were before i started). D'Ooge is the only author i've come across who assumes my level of ignorance. And he doesn't make me learn large tables of crud without explanation.

If there is another text with similar accommodations that is voted in then i'll consider switching.

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: D'Ooge

Post by sisyphus »

Interaxus wrote:I just noticed that there is a copy of D'Ooge's Latin for Beginners currently being offered on eBay should anyone be interested
Ah, now, the 1911 edition at 8 USD, or the 1921 edition at 290 USD? Amazing the difference a decade can make.

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: D'Ooge

Post by edonnelly »

sisyphus wrote: Ah, now, the 1911 edition at 8 USD, or the 1921 edition at 290 USD? Amazing the difference a decade can make.
Must be because of all the advances that were made to the language over those ten years.