firefox and homepage

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

firefox and homepage

Post by Bert »

I just installed Firefox.
Just before the installation was completed I had a choice to make 'Firefox start' (or something like that) my home page. I unchecked the box and then continued.
It ended up being my home page anyway.
I went to the site that I want as my home page (Sympatico), clicked on 'make this page my homepage' with out any result.
Is there something obvious that I am doing wrong?

Sebastian Swift
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sebastian Swift »

After navigating to Tools > Options..., in the General section you'll see a text field for Home Page. Enter the URL you want to be your home page in that field.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Got it. Thanks.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

I just installed Firefox for the first time last week. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Anyone using thunderbird?

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

I just installed Firefox for the first time last week. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Anyone using thunderbird?
May I recommend some extensions?

Adblock (for those annoying flash ads)
ForecastFox (Weather forecasting)
All-in-One Gestures (mouse gestures - quicker and easier than back buttons)
BugMeNot (if you ever have to enter subscription details for a newspaper)
And finally BBCode (for boards such as this)
Stumble-upon is also quite nice - it helps you find websites related to your interest, so that you can aimlessly browse the web more easily.

As for Thunderbird, it's OK. I never got a great deal of spam, so the main advantage over Outlook wasn't much use to me. I get quite a lot of mail in Outlooks own Rich Text format (which Thunderbird doesn't support), but once there's an extension for it, I'm moving over.

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

Almost forgot -

FireTune

Makes your pages load faster.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Geoff wrote:I just installed Firefox for the first time last week. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Anyone using thunderbird?
I use Thunderbird and I like it very much. Previously I had been using the Mozilla Suite (which contains the programs that are now Firefox and Thunderbird). I use Windows at work and Linux at home, and both programs (Firefox and Tunderbird) are great on each OS.

I would say that the advantages of Thunderbird over other mail programs are not nearly as numerous or significant as the advantages of Firefox over other browsers, but I would give it a try.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Turpissimus wrote:Almost forgot -

FireTune

Makes your pages load faster.
After I have "firetuned" my pc, do I just delete this should it stick around.
(I don't need any extra icons on my screen.)

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus »

If you install Adblock you might like to use a published blocking list. Just read the instructions. If you doubt the authenticity of the site (as you should) you can find your way to it through the Adblock home site (through Firefox). Or just google it. There are similar alternatives i believe.
Turpissimus wrote: As for Thunderbird, it's OK. I never got a great deal of spam ...
You lucky, lucky, nay, LUCKY *******. At work i get between two and three hundred e-mails over night. On a good day only 80% of them are spam. Sometimes 97% of them are spam.

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

After I have "firetuned" my pc, do I just delete this should it stick around.
(I don't need any extra icons on my screen.)
The desktop icon? Delete it.
You lucky, lucky, nay, LUCKY *******. At work i get between two and three hundred e-mails over night. On a good day only 80% of them are spam. Sometimes 97% of them are spam.
Hmmm. Is thunderbird any good at sorting these? I do wonder exactly how clever its spam filters are.

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus »

Turpissimus wrote:Hmmm. Is thunderbird any good at sorting these? I do wonder exactly how clever its spam filters are.
This, sadly, i don't know. At work i'm only able to use The Dark One. At home i use my partner's PC (i work with the cursed things all day, why would i buy my own?). Whilst far from stupid she's familiar with The Dark One and doesn't fully appreciate its destructive potential. i've been fairly successful in getting her to switch from The Security Hole That Dare Not Speak Its Name. Maybe it's time to take the Next Step. :lol:

i haven't investigated, but i'm sure there must be independant (freeware) third parties that will help with spam filters.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Turpissimus wrote: Hmmm. Is thunderbird any good at sorting these? I do wonder exactly how clever its spam filters are.
It's pretty good, but not perfect. You can manually mark images as spam and it tries to "learn" what is and what is not spam. It usually gets rid of about 80% of my spam. It deletes the spam messages for you so you never have to see them. On the down side, though, about once a week it marks a legitimate message as spam, so it's not perfect and I occasionally have to look through the deleted mail to make sure there's nothing in there by mistake..