How many languages is it practical to learn at once?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Keegan
Textkit Neophyte

How many languages is it practical to learn at once?

Post by Keegan »

Lately, I have been finding there are more and more languages that I want to learn; definately more than it is practical to study at once. I am currently studying Japanese and Latin, and am a novice at both of them. I think I might be able to handle a third language, but I don't want to find myself confusing the rules of one language with the rules of another. The languages I wish to learn are Ancient Greek for the literature of that language (same reason I'm studying Latin), Biblical Hebrew so I can read the Old Testament in it's original language, French to prepare myself for the possibility that I may find myself in Quebec at some point in the future, Mandarin and Cantonese due to the statistically improbable amount of native speakers of those languages living in my hometown, and Old English (Anglo-Saxon) just for giggles. How many of these is it practical/possible for me to study at once? Should I wait until I become much better with the languages I am currently studying?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hello,
As many impractical languages as you can devote, I'd say, plus a practical one, like Japanese as you mentioned.

0 * x + 1 = 1.

:lol:

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

I've been wracking my brain over this issue ever since I developed an obssession with language. For me, my limit is two at once. The third, you can just dabble and play around, but I don't recommend doing even that because before you are able to admit it, you're studying three languages at once. Then you become despondent and just say what the heck, I'll just add another one since {insert subjectively rational excuse here}. And then... well, you get the idea.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Hrm, I hardly ever get the rules mixed up, unless they're similar languages, like sometimes I'll transpose Latin onto Greek or Hebrew onto Arabic. Currently I'm learning Latin (when do we ever truly finish?), Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, French, Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Coptic, Hieroglyphic, Old English, Old Icelandic, Gothic...I think that's it. Now, I may be much better at some, and I may not really now anything of others, but the way I found best is to just keep a notebook in didactic style and go through cycles, i.e. Latin translation for a while, than Greek translation for a while, then learn more Hebrew, than learn more Korean, than learn more Chinese, than go back to Latin, then again to Greek, than some Egyptian, than some Chinese again, etc...

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Who has experience with studying modern and ancient Greek at the same time? Can that be done without mixing the two up too much?

Regards,
Adelheid

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Adelheid wrote:Who has experience with studying modern and ancient Greek at the same time? Can that be done without mixing the two up too much?

Regards,
Adelheid
Who would ever want to learn Modern Greek? The pronunciation makes my ears bleed.

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

cweb255 wrote:Who would ever want to learn Modern Greek?
Well, I do, obviously.

Is a pronunciation that makes your ears bleed a reason to dismiss a language?

Adelheid

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Adelheid wrote:
cweb255 wrote:Who would ever want to learn Modern Greek?
Well, I do, obviously.

Is a pronunciation that makes your ears bleed a reason to dismiss a language?

Adelheid
I think that pronunciation that makes cweb255's ears bleed is not a reason for Adelheid to dismiss the language. :)

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

come on, efcaristO?

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

cweb255 wrote:come on, efcaristO?
My question to you remains: is a pronunciation that makes your ears bleed a reason to dismiss a language?

I didn't say that I think Modern Greek sounds beautiful (but I wouldn't say that either about ancient Greek, having listened to some of the links from another thread right here :D )

Regards,
Adelheid

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

And perhaps I will ask my original question in a separate thread :D .

[size=134]ευχαριστώ[/size],

Adelheid

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Adelheid wrote:And perhaps I will ask my original question in a separate thread :D .

[size=134]ευχαριστώ[/size],

Adelheid
What reasons do you have for learning it? Are you going to travel to Greece? Sure! Go for it! Are you interested in evolution of Greek? Sure! Have fun!

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

cweb255 wrote:Go for it!
Approval was not what I asked for, but thank you nevertheless :wink:

Any thoughts on what I actually asked are still welcome.

Regards,
Adelheid

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: How many languages is it practical to learn at once?

Post by edonnelly »

Keegan wrote: How many of these is it practical/possible for me to study at once? Should I wait until I become much better with the languages I am currently studying?
It is easy to study many languages at once, but it is much more difficult to study them well. I am reminded of an old Chineese proverb: The hunter who chases two rabbits catches neither.

If your goal is to study for the joy of studying itself (the hunt) then you need not worry -- you can study as many as you like. If, however, you really want to master a language, you may want to be wary of taking on any more new languages.

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Wouldn't an important question be "how much time does one have"?

Currently I have a block of about six extra hours a day in which to study. I am able to work on German and Latin at the same time, but I doubt that with my modest skills that I would be able to do that if I had only one hour a day.

WB

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

William wrote:Wouldn't an important question be "how much time does one have"?

Currently I have a block of about six extra hours a day in which to study. I am able to work on German and Latin at the same time, but I doubt that with my modest skills that I would be able to do that if I had only one hour a day.

WB
I am somehow managing 3rd year University Latin, the White Greek group and music practice on about 1 1/2 hours per day, but I have to admit that sometimes things get done in a rather sketchy way. But life's too short - try everything. You'll soon sort out how much you can do without collapsing. :lol:

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Carola wrote:But life's too short - try everything. You'll soon sort out how much you can do without collapsing. :lol:
Great advice, Carola!

WB