Recent Purchases!!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Recent Purchases!!

Post by yadfothgildloc »

I just got, from the OUP, the newest LSJ and the OCTs for the Iliad and Carmina Catulli.

$147, on sale.

:)

Sebastian Swift
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sebastian Swift »

And what exactly do those acronyms stand for?

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Oup: Oxford Univerisity Press.

LSJ: Liddell Scott Jones (Last names of authors of the Greek Lexicon)

OCT: Oxford Classical Text

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc »

Sebastian Swift wrote:And what exactly do those acronyms stand for?
LSJ is the "big" Greek Lexicon. It now lists the Linear B forms of Greek words, when they're known. OCT are one of four standard critical texts (OCT, The Loeb Seriers, the Teubner Edition (Loeb, but in German)( and there's a French one).

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

That's quite a good haul for the price!
yadfothgildloc wrote:LSJ is the "big" Greek Lexicon. It now lists the Linear B forms of Greek words, when they're known. OCT are one of four standard critical texts (OCT, The Loeb Seriers, the Teubner Edition (Loeb, but in German)( and there's a French one).
Actually the Teubners are more like the OCT series - there is no translation in these. The French version of Loeb is Budé.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

annis wrote:
Actually the Teubners are more like the OCT series - there is no translation in these. The French version of Loeb is Budé.
:o

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc »

annis wrote:That's quite a good haul for the price!

<snip>

Ahh thanks on both accounts.

Sebastian Swift
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sebastian Swift »

As long as we were discussing the Oxford University Press, why on Earth is the Oxford Latin Dictionary priced at about $200-250 (U.S.) everywhere it's sold? It'd be awesome to possess one, but... (nods head at the price)

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Actually, I remember seeing one at amazon market place for $175. It's for the latest printing -2004 I think. I'm not sure if there is anything really different from the latest prininting, but I think the paper stock might be thinner...? To tell you the truth, I think the price isn't that ridiculous. If you buy a measley college textbook these days, it's around $100.