I think I'm abandoning my learning of Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

I think I'm abandoning my learning of Latin

Post by JLatin1 »

I've come to the point where after a year a Latin, I feel like wasting my time. My teacher really hasn't inspired me to want to learn the language. She almost seems kind of neutral about it. Not that Latin isn't a beautiful and interesting language, but there are other languages that I wish to focus on. These are at the present time, Spanish and Hebrew. I do not know whether or not I will learn a lot in Spanish class at school, but I will certainly go out of my way to try to get something out of the course.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Vale.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Say it ain't so I will not go!

If you would desert Latin for Hebrew then I agree with your decision to leave this language :shock:

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

How can anyone learn Latin who can't even speak/write his/her own language? If Jlatin1 "feels like wasting his time", let him do so. If Episcopus is a foreign speaker of English, I forgive his unintelligible sentence construction. Otherwise, perhaps he should put Latin and Swedish on hold? :(

Cheers,
Int

Sebastian Swift
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sebastian Swift »

Interaxus wrote:If Episcopus is a foreign speaker of English, I forgive his unintelligible sentence construction.
Unintelligible? Perhaps that monstrous chip on your shoulder is impairing your ability to read English.

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc »

shalom aleichem, chever. v'gam, hasta la vista.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Salve Sebastian,

Which chip are you referring to? Please explain "Say it ain't so I will not go". Is that a quote? Alsö, isn't "If you would desert" a bit antiquated?

Salve yadfothgildloc,

I think learning Hebrew is a great idea. Some fifteen years ago I learnt the rudiments of Arabic (a close relative) and recently I ordered a beginner's course in modern Hebrew from eBay but it hasn't arrived yet. As-salaam alay-kum!

Salve JLatin1,

Please excuse my temporary pique at someone leaving the fold. In fact, you give the most reasonable reason of all - an uninspired teacher. Mejor suerte la proxima vez!

Salve Episcope,
Stetson! Hypocrite lecteur! Mon semblable!

Int

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Upon reflection, I see that my original comments were totally out of order. Sorry, all! :oops:

Int

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hi, JLatin1!
I'll tell you something. My high school physucs teacher had succeeded in convincing most of the students physics was a dull and boring stuff. He also had a suffocating voice, say, he could suffocate you by just talking to you, even if you didn't understand him, or did understand him. And the lectures were already intolerable for this one thing, so the fact that the contents of the lectures lacked any inspiration hardly mattered.
But I enjoyed my physics study on my own and majored in physics in the college.
I just tell you this, but things are not all the same for everyone.
Vale!

JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

I might do a little Latin independent study.

Post by JLatin1 »

We'll see how things go. I might not abandon Latin completely, but maybe I will do an independent study in my spare time. Next year I'll probably be studying either Hebrew or Spanish in school or possibly both. That would mean 3 languages at a time. I think it's doable.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: I think I'm abandoning my learning of Latin

Post by Carola »

JLatin1 wrote:I've come to the point where after a year a Latin, I feel like wasting my time. My teacher really hasn't inspired me to want to learn the language. She almost seems kind of neutral about it.
I too suffered from a boring Latin teacher - somehow I stuck with the class but didn't continue with any further studies. Now 40 years on I am back studying it at university and loving it! Don't think you are abandoning Latin, just putting it on hold!

As for Episcopus' English - it is unique. I hope he keeps writing in the same way for many years to come. English needs him! Let's not get all boring and pedantic, would you rather he wrote like the people who make up government by-laws? Now they really insult the language!!![/b]

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

Hi Jonathan,

I wish you every success in your Hebrew and Spanish pursuits. Just don't forget that you learnt something from Latin, too! I think Latin gives you a basical understanding of languages, but if you find other more languages more useful, you are, of course, free to do so. Don't forget, btw, that there are many Greek geeks here, too, should you become intereste in that language.

Generally speaking, I think we're a lot of language fanatics in here: Swedish, English, French, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Coptic.... it's basically the same: learning a language and immersing one self in a foreign culture.

Don't forget your friends in here: tell us about what you learn! :)

P.S. Episcopan English -- where is that practised?

Barrius
Textkit Member

Re: I might do a little Latin independent study.

Post by Barrius »

JLatin1 wrote:We'll see how things go. I might not abandon Latin completely, but maybe I will do an independent study in my spare time. Next year I'll probably be studying either Hebrew or Spanish in school or possibly both. That would mean 3 languages at a time. I think it's doable.
3? Three? I can't even master English, and it's been decades! :D

I love Latin, just wish i had more time for it.