translation:some latin verse

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
medea
Textkit Neophyte

translation:some latin verse

Post by medea »

1.Caeli,Lesbia nostra,Lesbia illa,illa Lesbia,quam catullus unam.plus quam se atque suos amavit omnes,nunc in quadriviis et amgiportis glubit magnanimi Remi neoptes.

&

2.Eripuit fulmen caelo,nova fulmina mittit. Eripuit caelum deo,nova spatia struit. Homo homini res muntanda. Nemo contra hominem nisi homo ipse.

Thank u very much~~

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: translation:some latin verse

Post by benissimus »

medea wrote:1.Caeli,Lesbia nostra,Lesbia illa,illa Lesbia,quam catullus unam.plus quam se atque suos amavit omnes,nunc in quadriviis et amgiportis glubit magnanimi Remi neoptes.

&

2.Eripuit fulmen caelo,nova fulmina mittit. Eripuit caelum deo,nova spatia struit. Homo homini res muntanda. Nemo contra hominem nisi homo ipse.

Thank u very much~~
Why don't you give it a try first? The first is one of Catullus' raunchier poems.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

medea
Textkit Neophyte

sure sure,my complement

Post by medea »

the first one I did is here:

God,our Lesbia,Lesbia--she,this Lesbia,is the one and the only one for Catullus.His love to her is more than that to himself and anything of his own.now she robs the offspring of great Rimus on the alleyway and at the crossroads.

It seems that the last sentence doesn't make sense to me in the context,if it's translated literally in this way.~~~~I'm not sure whether the latin word "glubit" can be read as the word "rob" in E~~but that's the only one I could get in my dictionary..... :shock: faint~~~

Sebastian Swift
Textkit Neophyte

Re: translation:some latin verse

Post by Sebastian Swift »

medea wrote:1.Caeli,Lesbia nostra,Lesbia illa,illa Lesbia,quam catullus unam.plus quam se atque suos amavit omnes,nunc in quadriviis et amgiportis glubit magnanimi Remi neoptes.
Oh, Catullus. I am so depressed that I won't see thee again until the AP exam in May.

I'd love to take a crack at this since it isn't in the syllabus.

O Caelius, my Lesbia, that Lesbia, that very Lesbia whom alone Catullus loved more than himself and all his own, now she strips the grandchildren of magnanimous Remus on the cross-roads and in the alleys.

I suppose grubit conveys the idea of Lesbia stripping men of their clothing as if they were trees and their clothes bark. Nostra is the poetic plural, often used to mean "my." Right indeed, benissimus. This is reminiscent of the three-hundred-lovers poem. ;)