What is your handle(username) at textkit?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

What is your handle(username) at textkit?

My Real Name
26%
Literary Character from some Graeco-Latin Source
4%
Other Fictional Literary Character
6%
Famous REAL personality
9%
Folk lore/Mythology
4%
Greek/Latin Word
24%
More wacky origin
28%

Total votes: 54

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

eris wrote:my nick is simply after the goddess of discord.
oopsy daisy

I always thought it 'you will be' 8)

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Episcopus wrote:
eris wrote:my nick is simply after the goddess of discord.
oopsy daisy

I always thought it 'you will be' 8)
I get that a lot. Maybe I should add an avatar to clarify the name? hmmm.
However, I like "You will be" as well. :D

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc »

rimon-jad wrote:Rimon-jad is a Hebrew word. It means "hand granade". Rimon is a biblical Hebrew word for pomegranate, jad is "hand". Thus handgranade. This is the only place where I have such nickname. I kinda don´t like it very much, but, huh, never mind...
atah m'daber ivrit?

(Mine is Cold Light of Day, spelled backwards)

Matteos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Matteos »

Hail eris <fnord> !

rimon-jad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rimon-jad »

אני יודע מעט עברית
I study mainly Biblical Hebrew, I have no opportunities to speak b´ivrit.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Mine's just a latinised version of my real name (Carol). However I like "ClassicalClarinet's" name - maybe I could have "VeryLoudSax" or "TryingToSoundLikeBennyGoodmanClarinet"? A bit too long maybe?
If I don't stop eating Christmas chocolates it might be something less flattering! :roll:

MyIlium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MyIlium »

yadfothgildloc wrote:
(Mine is Cold Light of Day, spelled backwards)
Oh. I was wondering. I thought it was Norse or Saxon at first. ~_^

Mine was just what popped into my head then, and it seemed appropriate, considering the Iliad is a huge part of classical literature. I don't have a constant 'internet identity.' This makes it very hard to remember which screenname goes where.

echomikeromeo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by echomikeromeo »

Episcopus wrote:An intelligent well adjusted teenager is as rare as a Hydrogen isotope of 75 isotopic mass in considerable underground abundances detected without a mass spectrometer.
I'll try not to get offended on behalf of me and my friends, who I would say are eminently intelligent and well-adjusted. I would elaborate on our intelligence at great length, but that would seem like bragging. Dico discere Latinam non posse esse stultum, though I probably made a grammatical error or two there.

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

My handle reverses my first and last names: Nicholas Swift. I made it up on the spot (clever, huh?), but it has since occured to me that--to someone without the proper background information--it might sound like a creepy guy or a con-artist. :? I would prefer that you imagine an incredibly fast sprinter, or maybe an incredibly brilliant thinker---if you can muster that kind of imagination. :wink:

Just out of curiosity: can you change your handle? or is it now set in stone?

medicatura
Textkit Neophyte

Post by medicatura »

I came up with the handle "medicatura" when registering for my email account. ;) I wanted something different from my usual handles that I've used on AIM and so on and so forth. Since I want to be a doctor, I immediately thought of the Latin verb medico, medicare. Now, grammatically, this isn't 100% correct, but I adjusted it to the future participle because it's something that I hope to be in my future. ;) A little weird, I know, but ... :) It works. Heh.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

echomikeromeo wrote:I'll try not to get offended on behalf of me and my friends, who I would say are eminently intelligent and well-adjusted.
Uh.....I think you mean my friends and I.....sorry, but for one so eminently intellegent and well adjusted....you should have caught the grammar error in your native language. :wink:

I just couldn't help myself! :D

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

echomikeromeo wrote:I'll try not to get offended on behalf of me and my friends, who I would say are eminently intelligent and well-adjusted.

Uh.....I think you mean my friends and I.....sorry, but for one so eminently intellegent and well adjusted....you should have caught the grammar error in your native language. Wink
Surely "on behalf of" is a prepositional phrase. "Me" would be perfectly correct, no?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Turpissimus wrote:

Uh.....I think you mean my friends and I.....sorry, but for one so eminently intellegent and well adjusted....you should have caught the grammar error in your native language. Wink
Surely "on behalf of" is a prepositional phrase. "Me" would be perfectly correct, no?
"on behalf of my friends and me" is what I would go for. Me last out of courtesy.

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

Bert wrote:
Turpissimus wrote:

"on behalf of my friends and me" is what I would go for. Me last out of courtesy.
You know that in Latin, grammatical person agrees with the first person rather than the second and the second person rather than the third: Et ego et tu manus sustulimus. Also, for "Gaius and I" the Romans said Ego et Gaius. In the words of Bradley's Arnold, "When therefore Cardinal Wolsey said "Ego et rex meus" he was a good grammarian but a bad courtier". Interesting, eh?

oistos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oistos »

My handle is one of the Greek words for arrow. It was late and I was trying to think of something since the administrater's name is Jeff. Gotes Frieden? Gottfried? Godfrey? Geofroi? Jaufre? Godofredo? Pax Dei? Theou-eirene? (yikes)

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

Turpissimus wrote:

Uh.....I think you mean my friends and I.....
"Me" would be correct. Actually "myself" might be better, since "I" was the subject, after all.

I hear the incorrect substition of "and I" for "and me" so often, that I now think of it as "and-me-phobia." Everyone is afraid to say "and me," they want to say "and I." Apparently "and I" is just correct by fiat, gosh darn it.

It's gotten so bad that the descriptivist in me wants to start calling it correct, as a variant form. But then the proscriptivist angel on my right shoulder slaps me and tells me to stick to the traditional grammar.

Regarding my handle: I like Democritus because his idea about atoms turned out to be right, even though there really was no way he could possibly have known this or proved it. Either he had startlingly astute intuition, or just dumb luck. Either way, it gives hope to modern-day loons and their crackpot ideas. Someday we shall be vindicated! :)

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

It's no wonder I have a footshaped mouth....whenever I open it.... :roll:

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

Eh, I made mine up simply because it sounded cool when I joined a computer club (called the UPL) at my University. Turned out the University proper and the UPL had separate user databases so I could pick what I wanted. The first phase of permanency came when my University account was deleted (cause I didn't take any CS classes one semester) and the University computing facility declared that the databases between the UPL and them were to be joined in the interim. Then the next semester I took a course and the University synchronized my student id numbers with the UPL: 'psilord' became my official student related username. The second phase of permanency happened when I got a job with the University. I have written my email address all over the place in documentation of a fairly major software product and in correspondence with who knows how many people. :) 'psilord' will be my name forever. I use it basically everywhere.

I found out years later it is also the name of a minor character in the X-Men series of comic books.

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

My nick I think most of you now who it was. Then why did I choose it? Not only because she is the first female poet (and a wonderful one too)attested in European literature, but also because she represents the lesbian community (as she was from Lesbos, she was a Lesbian, and that name was since the twentieth century used for homosexual women).
And I happen to fall in love with women too...

This nick I only use on this site because I thought it more appropriate than my casual nick: Captain KJ (KJ coming from Kathryn Janeway, I used to be a star trek fan, well, I like it still but not in that amount :P )

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Kopio wrote:It's no wonder I have a footshaped mouth....whenever I open it.... :roll:
I tend to have a similar problem, just a little less conspicuous. I have a mouth-shaped foot. Same effect. Perfect fit.:wink:

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Post by FiliusLunae »

I remember a song from a musical a friend of mine participated in while in high school. I think it was Guys And Dolls.
The song is called "Marry the Man Today". Adelaide, a cabaret dancer, discusses with Sarah, a missionary, why they should "marry their men today." Anyway, the lines that relate to the me/I issue are:

A: Now doesn't that kind of apply to you and I?
S: (Correcting Adelaide) You and me!!!
[Pause]
A: Whatever!

:wink:

Psilord79
Textkit Neophyte

Psilord

Post by Psilord79 »

My usual internet nickname is Psi-Lord, straight from the Marvel Comics universe (he's a future version of the son of Reed and Sue Richards, from the Fantastic Four, with most of his psionic powers developed)—although I should've really left the hyphen out when I picked it. :oops:

However, when I was registering here, I found out someone arrived first as the local Psilord :evil:, and so I just tacked 79 (my birth year) to the end of it instead.

hippocampae
Textkit Neophyte

hippocampae handle

Post by hippocampae »

I am intrigued by the hippocampus ... so when the time came to set up a handle, this is the best the ether could give me. The saying, "animo tuo manda", we copywrote for obvious reasons. The hippocampus makes us all different in many ways and thus the saying and logo for our group of senior students.

hippocampae
Textkit Neophyte

handle

Post by hippocampae »

I tried to get 'hippocampus' because of my memory research. By the time I got there my senior students advised me that none was avilable. Because of my desire to learn latin I decided on Hippocampae. And our motto became "Animo Tuo Manda". It was done and the seniors (the over the 65 gang) have been trilled ever since.

RachelK
Textkit Neophyte

Post by RachelK »

My real name: Rachel Kelley. Does the fact that I'm actually Italian make up for the un-classicalness of my name? :)

psilord
Textkit Member

Re: Psilord

Post by psilord »

Psilord79 wrote:However, when I was registering here, I found out someone arrived first as the local Psilord :evil:, and so I just tacked 79 (my birth year) to the end of it instead.
Interesting.... In all my years I've never run across another person who chose 'psilord' for their nick. And to find that person on a greek board is oddly appropriate.

Nice to meet you.

Psilord79
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Psilord79 »

psilord wrote:Interesting.... In all my years I've never run across another person who chose 'psilord' for their nick.
Same here. :) I didn't even bother checking before registering because I didn't even think someone else might ever come up with the same idea. :D I even thought of picking a totally different nickname, but I'm so totally used to mine I wouldn't really feel myself. :oops: How exactly did you choose it?
psilord wrote:And to find that person on a greek board is oddly appropriate.
Tell me about it. ;)
psilord wrote:Nice to meet you.
Same here.
«Μη φοβάσαι Μητέρα, και αυτός Αλέξανδρος είναι.»
“Non errasti Mater; namque et hic Alexander est.”

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

Psilord79 wrote:How exactly did you choose it?
I've always had a particularly deep--and some who know me well might say morbid, fascination of the method and implementation of the intellect and consciousness. So, one day (in 1994, when I got my computer account) I decided that "psi" had connotations of the essence of consciousness and "lord" was to be lord and master. So, "psi-lord" was "the master of consciousness ". Truth be told, that's why I picked it.....

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus »

Teenage angst reinforced by the fortuitous (or hapless) discovery of Albert Camus. Corny, i know, but i've always retained an interest in the image (call it a memento of a near miss). This was rekindled when i found Iain Banks' barbarian in The Bridge hilariously stumbling through Greek mythology systematically (and accidentally) destroying all the common icons.

Ironically, perhaps, i'm actually here to learn Latin ;-)