Avete!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Avete!

Post by Sappho »

Hi, everyone!

I study classical filology at the university of Brussels, and since I really want to learn to speak and communicate in Latin (Greek I will try when I have better mastered it) I thought here would be a nice start.

Valete!

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Welcome to Textkit Sappho!

I like your username: not very long ago, some group members were daydreaming about finding a book of her poetry in the Egyptian sands.....sigh.

Je ne connais pas le latin malheureusement, mais j'apprends le français (lentement).

Enjoy your time here :D

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

En Belgique le français est obligatoire en école primaire et secondaire, donc je suis assez capable de comprendre, écrire et lire cette belle langue. Mais normalement je parle le néerlandais. Merci pour ton bienvenu!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Eek! Please use a smaller image for your avatar! The little piggies are squishing the posts.

And welcome to Textkit. :)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Avete!

Post by mariek »

Oh my! What a big picture you've got there!

Welcome to Textkit!!!

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

Oops, sorry I'll change it, I thought it would turn out much smaller.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Those guini pigs remind me of Hercule Poirot I saw in the "Death on the Nile", a TV cinema. Especially because he used to say he was a Belgian.

Welcome to Textkit!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Thank you for resizing your avatar. It's much better now. :)

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

Those guini pigs remind me of Hercule Poirot I saw in the "Death on the Nile", a TV cinema. Especially because he used to say he was a Belgian.
Hercule Poirot is indeed a Belgian, yet from the French speaking part, whereas I come from the Dutch speaking part.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Sappho wrote:[Hercule Poirot is indeed a Belgian, yet from the French speaking part, whereas I come from the Dutch speaking part.
Ah, Belgium. The home of Galler chocolate.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

...and the wrongly called "French" fries, the Belgian waffels, sprouts, chicory and many more culinary things. :wink:

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hello Sappho and welcome to Textkit!

Is it true in Belgium that you have waffle stands on street corners? That sounds so much tastier than the hot dog stands we have here in Cleveland, Ohio.

I'm sorry, I'm always thinking about food. :-)

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

Yep, lots of wafflestands in the cities and also when there are events (fairs, market, ...) and hotdog stands we have too, though it's mostly combined with hamburger and/or fries and/or fritters.
By the way, I also think a lot about food, especially since I'm with my grilfriend, her mother cooks great!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

that sounds so yummy! I never heard about the waffle stands until I was watching a food program recently, and now I'm jealous! It's not the big monuments and attractions that make me want to travel, it's the small things like waffle stands, the opportunity to drink beer at a McDonald's, or discovering the very best cup of coffee ever!!

The only street food we have here are these really, really bad hot dog carts that nobody in their right minds eats from.

Don't get me wrong.. i love a good hot dog.. just not from those carts that get hooked up to the back of a van at the end of the day :wink:

jeff
Textkit Founder

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Sappho wrote:...and the wrongly called "French" fries, the Belgian waffels, sprouts, chicory and many more culinary things. :wink:
Bojou, binamêye (Yes, it is Walloon, another Belgian language, for "Hello, Miss!").

About Belgian-made food, there is also something called "Fromage de Herve" (Cheese from Herve), which could be counted among chemical mass destruction weapons. If Pres Bush knew...

William : Sadly, although I live only 15 km (10 miles) away from the Galler factory, my wife does only enjoy Swiss Lindt 85% chocolate... C'est la vie !

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Sappho wrote:...and the wrongly called "French" fries,
In the Netherlands, jokes abound about the Belgians and their love of French Fries (Pattat)

oistos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oistos »

The French also tease the Belgians for their love of fries. When I was living in France there was a movie on TV along the lines of "History of the World Part One" (Mel Brooks) and when they showed the King of Belgium he had a "corne a frites" in his hand.
Of course the French don't have too much room to talk. I stopped at one of their stands outside a train station. The sign said "sandwiche jambon frites", so I ordered it thinking it was a ham sandwich with a side of fries. Well, it was a ham sandwich with fries as a TOPPING. It was good, just somewhat unexpected. I'm sure my arteries were not thanking me.

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

The sign said "sandwiche jambon frites",
We call a similar sandwich in a dialect from Brussels "ne mitraiet" (from the French word mitraillet)

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Could you fight a 'patatje oorlog' with that? :)

Ingrid

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

oistos wrote:... it was a ham sandwich with fries as a TOPPING...
That reminds me of our hot dogs... or maybe hot dogs in all countries come with fries as a topping? :?

oistos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oistos »

We call a similar sandwich in a dialect from Brussels "ne mitraiet" (from the French word mitraillet)
Like a machine gun??? Is it shaped like a barrel with all the fries sticking out the end?

That reminds me of our hot dogs... or maybe hot dogs in all countries come with fries as a topping?
Apparently we need to start a cullinary oddity forum... :P

Anyway, welcome Sapho. You can call me Jeffke. That's the nickname some Belgian friends gave me years ago. :)

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

oistos wrote: The sign said "sandwiche jambon frites", so I ordered it thinking it was a ham sandwich with a side of fries. Well, it was a ham sandwich with fries as a TOPPING.
Take away the ham and you have what is known in England as a chip butty.

oistos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oistos »

Anyway, welcome Sapho.
I mean Welcome SAPPHO... :oops:

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

It's ok jeffke :wink: I have a typing problem (somehow my fingers like to do their own things, wahaha, oops naughty me, er do not interpratate this the wrong way) so I don't mind.
Like a machine gun??? Is it shaped like a barrel with all the fries sticking out the end?
Well, it's just a long shaped sandwich with meat, tomatoes, cabbage, fries and mayonaise (or another saus).
Could you fight a 'patatje oorlog' with that?
It's already a mess if you try to bite in it (regarding all the things the sandwich contains), lol