Ludi

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Phylax
Textkit Member

Ludi

Post by Phylax »

Just a thought: would it be a good idea if our good colleagues whiteoctave and cweb255 (bless 'em!) had a special board for their combats: a sort of gladiatorial arena exclusively for them? Then we would know where to find them, circling around each other, crouched and wary - retiarius and secutor, net and trident - and be not quite so astonished to find them at it yet again in someone else's innocent and placid thread?

On the other hand, it *is* rather good fun to find their cuts and thrusts enlivening otherwise quiet little threads ... so I don't know...

But! How about a Komedia board for our friend Episcopus! Equipped specially for him with the cyber equivalents of cap and bells, pig's bladder on a stick, juggling balls, exploding jaffa cakes, perhaps even an enormous phallus!

I offer up these suggestions in good fellowship,

Phylax

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ludi

Post by annis »

Phylax wrote:pig's bladder on a stick
Um. What in the world is this for? Is Morris dancing involved?
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

annis wrote:
Phylax wrote:pig's bladder on a stick
Um. What in the world is this for? Is Morris dancing involved?
Pig's bladder: very important accoutrement in the efficient and effective mediaeval jester's tool-kit. Use? To bounce on people's bonces. The stick increases the bladder's moment, and amplifies its impact.

And alas yes, I am afraid to say, William, it does involve nowadays Morris dancing: a Morris 'side' often has a crazy anarchic member attached to it, a joker or jester or knave, not infrequently dressed in travesty, all too often making dangerous play with a pig's bladder. The world is such an unsafe place.

Would you like me also to expand on "phallus"? [How I immediately very much regret having used the word 'expand' in this context! :D ]

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Interesting post Phylax!

I feel it my duty to remark the inverse properties of these games. That's to say, whiteoctave should be fighting nor cweb nor any one of other for he is a comedian in his own right. Also he does not tend to fight, nay rather just call cweb a twat! Not that I as a neutral sempercoherent moderatoris similis persona agree.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Phylax wrote: all too often making dangerous play with a pig's bladder.
"Dangerous PLay with a Pig's BLadder" - this is a lovely phrase, with satisfying phonetics. I'll see if I can use it in a meeting soon.
Would you like me also to expand on "phallus"?
I'm of an age where I can still handle that on my own, but thanks for asking.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chrisb »

I once had to explain to a bemused Italian student what I believed the reason to be for Morris dancers beating the ground with their staves. She wasn't at all impressed by the idea that they were waking up the seeds. :?

chrisb

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Phylax wrote:Just a thought: would it be a good idea if our good colleagues whiteoctave and cweb255 (bless 'em!) had a special board for their combats: a sort of gladiatorial arena exclusively for them? Then we would know where to find them, circling around each other, crouched and wary - retiarius and secutor, net and trident - and be not quite so astonished to find them at it yet again in someone else's innocent and placid thread?
Glad to see that I wasn't the only one following their discussions with great interest.

WB

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

I'll see if I can use it in a meeting soon.
I should consider it an honour, were you to do so. :D

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

I once had to explain to a bemused Italian student
I think you were remarkably courageous to try to explain anything about Morris Dancing, Chris!

I am reminded of what the composer Sir Arnold Bax said: "One should try everything once, except incest and folk dancing."

Phylax