homeric vocabulary frequency

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
bernardo
Textkit Neophyte

homeric vocabulary frequency

Post by bernardo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:52 am

In Homeric vocabularies by William Bishop Owen and Edgar Johnson Goodspeed the authors list words by the frequency they occur in the Illiad and the Odyssey; so that you have a list of words emphasizing which ones are used the most, or which ones are more important to memorize. Is there such a list available on-line?

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Vocabulary Frequency

Post by swiftnicholas » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:53 pm

The Owen and Goodspeed book is very handy, and small enough to be slipped in your pocket and carried around. But the Perseus (.org) website has a feature that allows you to form your own vocabulary lists, from any author or book or chapter, with great flexibility. You can fashion your own criteria, and decide how many words to list (ie. top 10%, 20%....100%). Perseus offers other tools too: commentaries, dictionaries, and grammars. But the core of the site is a library of Greek literature that can be electronically searched, and in which each word is hyperlinked to a definition, grammatical information, and endless textual statistics. Personally, I prefer reading and handling books, but Perseus is a great resource for identifying (or narrowing down) unusual forms. Sometimes, and especially with Homer, the hyperlinked information seems unable to positively identify a form, but it is often helpful and always free. I am also excited and grateful to have found this forum of interesting and motivated people!

Kaj
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kaj » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:30 am

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:14 am

One thing I am not very clear about the Owen book is, does it just list the words, or does it also give excercises/drills. Either way, I doubt I'll get it, but just as curiousity.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:15 pm

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:One thing I am not very clear about the Owen book is, does it just list the words, or does it also give excercises/drills.
Just lists. Frankly the vocabulary tool at Perseus is more useful, if less portable.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:15 am

Out of curiosity, is there a lexicon of homeric vocabulary per book for the the Illiad and the Odyssey? Something like "here is all of the vocabulary in book 1 of the Illiad" with the vocabulary list for the book 2 being the *new* vocabulary with respect to the book 1 and so on?

Thanks.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:18 pm

psilord wrote:Out of curiosity, is there a lexicon of homeric vocabulary per book for the the Illiad and the Odyssey? Something like "here is all of the vocabulary in book 1 of the Illiad" with the vocabulary list for the book 2 being the *new* vocabulary with respect to the book 1 and so on?
I've never heard of anything like that.

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:21 am

Interesting. It seems like a reasonable thing to have and prevents you from constantly looking through large dictionaries for a word when you can have a small dictionary for the words in the book you are reading. I suppose at the back of the dictionary you can have all words in alphabetical order with what book they came first in so you can look them up if you are totally lost. I actually spend the time to memorize all of the words in each Pharr lesson, and if I could do this per book, I would.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:35 am

psilord wrote:Interesting. It seems like a reasonable thing to have and prevents you from constantly looking through large dictionaries for a word when you can have a small dictionary for the words in the book you are reading.
Well, now, this is different. If you download the Minckwitz Odyssey 12 reader, the full vocabulary of that is at the end of the book.

But this progressive accumulation scheme you present would be difficult. Beginner's books do not typically start on line 1 and go through to the end, especially for the Epics which are, well, epic in scope. You get selections, and the Minckwitz book - which dumps you down into the middle, in book 12 - was designed to be a first reader after your year of grammar.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:34 am

The Pharr A group is almost done. Perhaps those who are progressing to Iliad B might record each time they have to look up something in a lexicon, and from that someone could compile a list of words/forms in the order they appear in Iliad B which a graduate of Pharr may need explained to them.

EDIT : Upon the completion of Pharr A, will there, be another session with Minckwitz's Odyssey M, or even a session with Iliad B?