New teacher = horror

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

Re:New teacher = horror

Post by mariek » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:34 pm

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=256;start=60#2849 date=1060109595]<br />I saw that 40 degrees, and immediately thought "Celsius", and almost fell over from sympathetic heat prostration. [/quote]<br /><br />How funny! <br /><br />I like your easy conversion. Now why didn't they teach that to us in school? It was always add or subtract 5/9 or 9/5 or something like than and then add or subtract something else. As you can see, I really don't remember what it was.<br /><br />The metric system seems so logical to me. I don't know why we don't just convert over to the metric system. I can actually multiply and divide by 10's and 100's! <br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:41 pm

hers is a rounding... it's actually 1.8 and 32 degrees ;)<br /><br />either way, -30 C is almost the same as -30F and in either case it is cold!<br /><br />as in everything else Canadian, we use partly metric and partly standard... distances and liquids are metric, but we still say "3 inches of snow" and talk about weight and meat in pounds and people's height in feet and inches. it's just to confuse the children, i'm sure ;)<br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:50 pm

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=256;start=60#2867 date=1060119696]<br />hers is a rounding... it's actually 1.8 and 32 degrees ;)<br /><br />either way, -30 C is almost the same as -30F and in either case it is cold!<br /><br />as in everything else Canadian, we use partly metric and partly standard... distances and liquids are metric, but we still say "3 inches of snow" and talk about weight and meat in pounds and people's height in feet and inches. it's just to confuse the children, i'm sure ;)<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I was in 4th grade when we switched to the metric system. My father was a math teacher at the time, and thought it a good thing. There were two fall-outs from the process.... the good one was that my father decided to convert a bread recipe to metric, as an experiment. It didn't work well the first couple times, so he took it as a challenge, took over making bread from my mother, and has since become a terrific bread-baker..... and we got spoiled rotten at home on fresh bread, cinnamon rolls, etc, etc, etc..... <br /><br />The bad fall-out is that I never learned either measurement system properly..... so, for example, I don't understand liquid measures at all, measure trip distance in kilometers, short distances in inches and feet, weights in pounds, and I cook in farenheit, though I check the temperature outside the house in celsius.....<br /><br />Systemly-challenged.....<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:20 pm

<br />Using both methods sounds very confusing. You're both ambi-measuring or whatever you'd call it. :)<br /><br />I understand the challenge of converting recipes, I did this once for a recipe given to me in metric. My first calculations were way off, it was a good thing I rechecked my results before actually starting! <br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:33 pm

Yes.... the conversions for recipe amounts seem to be more concerned with Nice Round Numbers than accuracy......<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:03 pm

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=256;start=60#2974 date=1060209202]<br />Yes.... the conversions for recipe amounts seem to be more concerned with Nice Round Numbers than accuracy...... [/quote]<br /><br />That's like playing with fire. Some recipes are less forgiving than others!<br /><br />I've seen some cookbooks which give both measurements, which I think is a nice feature. I guess they would tend to use round numbers, though they try to compensate (e.g. 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp)

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:52 pm

[quote author=Carola link=board=6;threadid=256;start=45#2371 date=1059608440]Distance education is a big thing here - even though I live in a fairly large city (Adelaide) I do my Latin (part of a BA) at a university about 1500km away. I go there once a year and combine it with a trip to see the rest of my family. [/quote]<br />Carola, As a fellow Aussie I'm curious which universities offer distance Latin courses. Which university's Latin course do you do?<br />
phpbb

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:34 am

Looking back over this thread, it appears we have taken a left turn and gone off topic. Perhaps we should start a new discussion thread moving forward.... ???

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:02 am

[quote author=tdominus link=board=6;threadid=256;start=75#5202 date=1062517941]<br />Carola, As a fellow Aussie I'm curious which universities offer distance Latin courses. Which university's Latin course do you do?<br /><br />[/quote]<br />I am doing my course through the University of New England at Armidale and I am very pleased with how it is all going. We have a residential school once a year for most of the subjects, which is great fun. All the marking notes I have had so far for assignments have been full of information, hints and explanations; also you can ring or email if you get really stuck. Their study guides are very good.<br />Here is the School of Classics web address :<br />http://www.une.edu.au/arts/scch.htm/ <br />
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:42 pm

I'm not really used to all this starting new threads, when things start to stray from the original topic. But that's probably because another forum I often go to has a different system. Maybe it's called the tree-system. You can see who has posted a reply to which person in the discussion and so lead a few different discussions in the same thread.
phpbb