Philosophy in fiction.

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!
EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Philosophy in fiction.

Post by EmptyMan » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:05 pm

A freind told me that he was taught philosophical concepts through works of fiction. It sounds like an interesting way to learn rather than having to digest difficult technical terms. I tried to read Kant and Satre and they confused me after a single paragraph. So does anyone know of some good fiction books that teach philosophy?

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:19 pm

Phillip Kerr writes some sci-fi with philosophical thems. I'm not sure how wise it would be to try to actually teach yourself philosophy from his work. I think, instead, that you might have to read about the philosophy so that the book can be more thoroughly appreciated.
phpbb

EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EmptyMan » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:41 pm

I don't really want to teach myself philosophy through fiction. I just want too understand general concepts thorugh fiction since it would be more fun than having to learn all the weird technical philosophical terms and phrases.
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:22 pm

Hmm... there are a few philosophers who's writings are fiction and have been made into films, Satre for example. But I don't know if you'd be able to understand the concepts if you didn't know them before. I once saw one of his films and if my philosopher teacher had kept stopping the film to explain things I doubt i would have understood it.
Sorry I couldn't be much help really. but if you want to know some good books by philosophers which are understandable I can help there (thy just arenT' fiction).
phpbb

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Re: Philosophy in fiction.

Post by Democritus » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:41 pm

EmptyMan wrote:A freind told me that he was taught philosophical concepts through works of fiction. It sounds like an interesting way to learn rather than having to digest difficult technical terms. I tried to read Kant and Satre and they confused me after a single paragraph. So does anyone know of some good fiction books that teach philosophy?

Kurt Vonnegut. Try Breakfast of Champions. Or Mother Night. Or Cat's Cradle. His tone is cheeky but he grapples with ultimate questions on practially every page.

Oh, by the way, Theodore Sturgeon. I wouldn't say that all his writing is philosophical, but it is all thoughtful, and it's intenesly imaginative. There's nobody quite like Sturgeon.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:36 am

A friend of mine loves "Sophie's world", which i believe is a sort of philosophical beginners novel. However, I've never read it, so I can't tell you exactly what it's about. (or who wrote it though I think the author is Norwegian.)
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

Miles
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Miles » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:06 am

"Sophie's World" is an excellent choice. I recommend it to anyone who is a beginner at philosophy and doesn't know where to start.
phpbb

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:19 am

Kasper wrote:A friend of mine loves "Sophie's world", which i believe is a sort of philosophical beginners novel. However, I've never read it, so I can't tell you exactly what it's about. (or who wrote it though I think the author is Norwegian.)
I read the first part of the book and it was interesting. I never finished it because I didn't have time. :) Anyway, it kinda takes you through the key historical philosophers through a fictional story, so it might be exactly what you're looking for.

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:22 pm

There was once a time were I've induldged in reading Plato's dialogues and was fond of Socrates's ways getting results by having the correct answers before putting the questions. I even tried to immitate him and believe me it was not so difficult as it looks at first glance. But soon I discovered that his method is not perfect and never leads to the best result.

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:27 pm

hi thomas, that's very interesting. could you please explain that in more detail for me, thanks. i've been studying socratic method for a while now and find it complex. what method did you actually follow and why do you think it doesn't always produce the best results, thanks, chad. :)