What is your handle(username) at textkit?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

My Real Name
26%
Literary Character from some Graeco-Latin Source
4%
Other Fictional Literary Character
6%
Famous REAL personality
9%
Folk lore/Mythology
4%
Greek/Latin Word
24%
More wacky origin
28%

Total votes: 54

installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by installer_swan »

I'm sitting here in at the institute with nothing to do because the professor who is my project guide is out of station, & I can't go home 'cause he comes back on the 12th. So I'm here perfectly jobless posting stupid posts. Aah how I will look back nostalgically upon my pleasant colege days when I am an old edentulous man.

So, how did you decide upon a handle(username) for use here? Mine is based on a scrabble game where after which we tried to make a story connecting all the words, and created the grand epic wherein an Installer Swan fought a great battle with rodeo weeds amid smouldering aa and angry ais who paid rent in xus. Anyway what about the others?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I've had "klewlis" for over 8 years now (!). It came from a week when I was feeling particularly clueless and also happened to be looking for a new IRC nick. and here we are 8 years later and it is now a part of my identity... :P
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

I always use my real name, well, first name that is.

Adelheid

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I always use my real name too. On some sites I'm EmmaLB, Emma 85 or Emma LB and so on. It's only the EmmaLB posts you can find on google though :-P.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

:shock: I just searched for EmmaLB on google... 5 of the 10 first results are me!

rimon-jad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rimon-jad »

Rimon-jad is a Hebrew word. It means "hand granade". Rimon is a biblical Hebrew word for pomegranate, jad is "hand". Thus handgranade. This is the only place where I have such nickname. I kinda don´t like it very much, but, huh, never mind...

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

My name is allegedly what Archimedes shouted out as he ran through the streets of Syracuse naked after discovering that when an object is placed in water, the force exerted on the object is equal to the weight of the displaced water.

It’s also the name of a miners’ uprising in northern Victoria in 1854.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Stockade

I chose it because it links together Australia, ancient Greece and scientific thought. (It also throws Sicily in there, but I don't know what to do with that, so I’ll just quietly ignore it.)

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

My first name

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

I took mine from a city in a book (a series actually) I read. It was "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan. I think he is up to book 10 in the series now, just waiting on # 11 to come out. The city was a central part of the plot in one of my favorite parts. The embarrassing part is that I did not realize until after I had used my handle for some time that I had misspelled it (being the great speller that I am). I decided it was not worth the trouble to change it.

Rhuiden

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Like Bert, I simply used my first name. I should have picked something else 'cause there are now two Williams on these boards. But I talked it over with William A and he said I can stay.

I was thinking of using Episcopus but that one is already taken.

William B.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

I use my last name, since it's not terribly common and is thus usually available in online fora. This almost makes up for the usual mispronunciation of it.

Ah, now I'm remembering my very first Unix account, somewhere in '90 or '91, at UTexas, Austin. A friend had been talking about these "bulletin boards" and other things the school was just giving him access to, so I had him take me to get an account. I was amazed I could just walk in and the university would just give me access to these (then) terribly expensive computers and this freaky internet thing.

So, we wander into the office, I filled out a form, they looked at my UT ID, then asked me what I wanted for an "account name." This idea was new to me. My friend explained.

My mother is a voracious reader; I seem to have inherited that from her. During my early college years she was in a serious Anne Rice phase, and so had been passing off Rice's Vampire books to me. I had probably just finished the second(?) book when I wandered into the computer lab. Armed with that information I bet you can guess what I picked for an account name.

That's right: lestat.

This was a mistake. I was a serious usenet and irc commando for a while, and with that account name I got some very strange email directed my way from time to time. I learned my lesson.

So now I use some variation on my real name. It's way to late for me to be anonymous on the internet. I have junk accounts for when I need to give out an email address to download something, and for those I use a collection of aliases that don't involve my name.

I'm suddenly having fond memories of my lestat account. I can hardly remember that once there was no spam.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Hmm, mine is... oh well, almost anybody would know, or at least someone with a little knowledge of hebrew. It's a very rough attempt to translate the name of god. :P

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

annis wrote:I use my last name, since it's not terribly common and is thus usually available in online fora. This almost makes up for the usual mispronunciation of it.
I can well imagine how it is not meant to be pronounced, but what is the correct pronunciation? The a like the a in cat maybe?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Bert wrote:
annis wrote:I use my last name, since it's not terribly common and is thus usually available in online fora. This almost makes up for the usual mispronunciation of it.
I can well imagine how it is not meant to be pronounced, but what is the correct pronunciation? The a like the a in cat maybe?
Exactly.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

'handle'? I didn't know that.

Mine comes from playing clarinet. :P
Plus it's catchy

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

everytime i saw your name, i kept thinking it was the ablative plural of years in latin. i didnt think so since it wouldn't make so much sense.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Der Anfang des Bischofs

Post by Episcopus »

I hope Anfang is masculine otherwise I'll be embarrassing myself. See die Deutsche Lehrerin sagt uns nicht, ob ein Wort M F oder N ist, da niemand weiß, was ein "case" ist. :shock:

Als ich Walisisch lernte, vor etwa zwei Jahre, sagte die Lehrerin, sie habe Latein in der Schule studiert und davon fast alles vergessen. Diesen Tag hatte ich ein bisschen Geld gewinnt, das war 10 Pfund, nachdem ich einer Englischen Diskussion so viel beitrug, womit es nichts zu kaufen gab, außer einem Lateinischen Wórtebuch. Damals mochten alle úber Bischófe sprechen, weil unsere Lehrerin (und natúrlich alle andere) nicht wusste, woruber wir eigentlich sprachen :P Auf Latein, mit meinem Wortebuch, schrieb ich "Mein Bischof ist rot, weil ich 'galea perlucida' nicht getragen habe". Jag var så stolt! Daher war ich immer Episcopus.

EDIT!
William wrote:
I was thinking of using Episcopus but that one is already taken.
Vad! What's all this hating on the bishôp! I give out nothing but love and people just turn around back at me with the opposite! Talk about das inverse Theory! Don't hate on me because I have the best name ever! Haters be wack.

Lupus minimus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupus minimus »

Lupus Minimus as my middle name is Kurt, which is Turkish for "wolf" (my mom is Turkish). Minimus because just wolf would be a bit pretentious.
My real name is Jules Caron, which is just a boring French name.

jc

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

annis wrote:
Bert wrote:
Exactly.
um... that's how i always assumed it was. how are people mispronouncing it??
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by installer_swan »

I'm sorry I couldn't understand this very well, could someone please translate?
I hope Anfang is masculine otherwise I'll be embarrassing myself. See die Deutsche Lehrerin sagt uns nicht, ob ein Wort M F oder N ist, da niemand weiß, was ein "case" ist. Shocked

Als ich Walisisch lernte, vor etwa zwei Jahre, sagte die Lehrerin, sie habe Latein in der Schule studiert und davon fast alles vergessen. Diesen Tag hatte ich ein bisschen Geld gewinnt, das war 10 Pfund, nachdem ich einer Englischen Diskussion so viel beitrug, womit es nichts zu kaufen gab, außer einem Lateinischen Wórtebuch. Damals mochten alle úber Bischófe sprechen, weil unsere Lehrerin (und natúrlich alle andere) nicht wusste, woruber wir eigentlich sprachen Razz Auf Latein, mit meinem Wortebuch, schrieb ich "Mein Bischof ist rot, weil ich 'galea perlucida' nicht getragen habe". Jag var så stolt! Daher war ich immer Episcopus.
I think(thanks to google transalate and my dictionary) it went something like:
I hope Anfang is masculine otherwise I'll be embarassing meself, See our German teacher does not tell us whether a noun is Masc. Fem. or Neut., because none knows what "case" is. Shocked

Here's where I got confused. When I learned Welsh(?), approximately two years ago, the teacher, said she had forgotten all the Latin she learnt in school. Today I had minor monetary gains, 10 Pounds, because I contributed to an English discussion(?). There was nothing to do but buy Latin Workbooks(?) with this. At that time all bishops migh have spoken because our teacher(a different one) did not know that we spoke "Razz on latin"(?). With my workbook I wrote that " My bishop is red because I have not carried "galea perlucida"(shining helmet, right?) . Hunt var så stolt!(??) therefore I was always Episcopus.

How good is my translation? I didn't get much of it.
klewlis wrote:um... that's how i always assumed it was. how are people mispronouncing it??
I also thought that was the most common way people might pronounce it.

Shanth

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

klewlis wrote:um... that's how i always assumed it was. how are people mispronouncing it??
Change the initial vowel to long a (English long, not Latin or Greek long).

Many teenagers think it the epitome of wit.

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

Many teenagers think it the epitome of wit.
Vae! not me!

Many teenagers are also idiots. :?

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

I didn't realize that. :o
I pronounced it like as Latin.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Mingshey is my name close to what my brother used to call me more or less playfully.
My real name on my passport is Myungsunn Ryu. An American, when carefully heard my name, put it as 'Mn-young-son Ree-you'. I thought it was quite a fuss to write it in full.

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Post by FiliusLunae »

Hi.
Well, as I said in my introductory post, my name comes from the song «Hijo De La Luna» by the Spanish group Mecano. Being into the Romance languages, usually when I register for services online, I use the name in the various languages, depending on the site.
So, I have: Portuguese: filho da lua; Spanish: hijo de la luna; Catalan: fill de la lluna; French: fils de la lune; Italian: figlio della luna; and now, finally registering for something having to do with Latin, I'm using: filius lunae.
:-)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

FiliusLunae wrote:Hi.
Well, as I said in my introductory post, my name comes from the song «Hijo De La Luna» by the Spanish group Mecano. Being into the Romance languages, usually when I register for services online, I use the name in the various languages, depending on the site.
So, I have: Portuguese: filho da lua; Spanish: hijo de la luna; Catalan: fill de la lluna; French: fils de la lune; Italian: figlio della luna; and now, finally registering for something having to do with Latin, I'm using: filius lunae.
:-)
What I have read something similar to the title of the song is 'das Mondenkind', a new name für die kindliche Kaïserin by Bastian, in Michael Ende's "die unendliche Geschichte". Can it be related to the song?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

An intelligent well adjusted teenager is as rare as a Hydrogen isotope of 75 isotopic mass in considerable underground abundances detected without a mass spectrometer.

Sorry for writing in german I felt like it some is probably wrong because I suck. Anyway it was just in the very old days, long ago even before I began latin, I won £10 from english and nothing else to buy was there so I bought a latin dictionary an obscure item looked mysterious. Ah so long ago many years it lay on my desk until indeed I found textkit. Ah so long ago my dears. I love you jeff! And your floor. Sorry. Anyway back in dem days we used to use bishop a lot and no teacher knew what we be saying. One french teacher we actually scared her. But that might also have been due to vivid stories involving pigeons. And shrimps and little girls. Some things really uncalled for but that's pretty much how I learned my french! She called me Monsieur Eveque. So naturally Eve/(i)(s)c(op)-[us] seemed da natural choice. My friend Asif actually guessed da Latin form.

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Post by FiliusLunae »

mingshey wrote: What I have read something similar to the title of the song is 'das Mondenkind', a new name für die kindliche Kaïserin by Bastian, in Michael Ende's "die unendliche Geschichte". Can it be related to the song?
Well, I speak absolutely no German (I know nothing that's not Romance... hehe)! I barely know what "ich" means. "das Mondenkind", I assume that means "The Moon child"?? The other stuff, I don't know what it says.
I've never known that the song I'm referring to has anything to do with a German one. Whenever people ask me what the title means, I usually say "Son of the Moon". "Moon Son/Child" would do as well, but I believe "Son of the Moon" is more approppiate. The group Mecano is from Spain and was popular in the 80's (though its members are still on the spotlight), and so was this song. I however discovered it only a few years ago. It deals with a gypsy, the moon, a child and an angry gypsy man. You should listen to it, it's quite interesting. As far as the German song, I have no idea what it could be about, but do let me know if it's anything similar.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

FiliusLunae wrote: As far as the German song, I have no idea what it could be about, but do let me know if it's anything similar.
It is not a song, but a fantasy novel by Michael Ende, which would translate in English as "The Neverending Story". If the song is actully about a gypsy, a child, and the moon, it seems definitely NOT to be related to the novel.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

mingshey wrote:
FiliusLunae wrote: As far as the German song, I have no idea what it could be about, but do let me know if it's anything similar.
It is not a song, but a fantasy novel by Michael Ende, which would translate in English as "The Neverending Story". If the song is actully about a gypsy, a child, and the moon, it seems definitely NOT to be related to the novel.
"The Neverending Story" was one of my favourite movies as a child. I wonder if it's the same one...?

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

In fact, it is. But I thought it was really silly (saw the movie after reading book). Some of these days I'm gonna read it in German.

messalina
Textkit Neophyte

Post by messalina »

way back when i was in high school, students in all of the languages got language-associated names. so in latin, our teacher gave us "latin names." i got messalina, and so..

little did i know when i got the name who messalina really was... :wink:

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

our teacher gave us "latin names." i got messalina, and so..
Your teacher must have been a most mischievous person!

I chose my handle from the Greek word for "watchman" or "guard" (I explain this for the benefit of our Latinist colleagues who may have little Greek; apologies for being obvious to you Hellenists!) because one of the interpretations of my rather Anglo-Saxon personal name Howard is "keeper or warden of the cattle enclosure" - literally "hoo- or hoe- or howe-ward", or simply "watchman".

Another interpretation of the name is "hog-warden" so I suppose I could have chosen something like Hyoboskos, which has the advantage amongst the huge number of Greek words for swineherd of sounding in Greek vaguely like my own name. But, I just wasn't feeling very piggy on the day I joined the forum!

Bromden
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bromden »

Who was Messalina?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Bromden wrote:Who was Messalina
"(Valeria Messalina) (msl´n) (KEY) , d. A.D. 48, Roman empress, wife of Claudius I. She was the mother of his children, Britannicus and Octavia. Her reputation for greed and lust was supposedly unknown to her husband until, in Claudius’ absence, she publicly married her lover Caius Silius. A political plot was apparently involved, and Claudius’ secretary Narcissus informed the emperor. Messalina was killed."

http://www.bartleby.com/65/me/Messalin.html

Bromden
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bromden »

Still, it is a pretty name.

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Post by FiliusLunae »

Oh ok.. hehe.. sorry. And yeah, in Mecano's song, it's a gypsy, a child, and the moon, and speaking of accents, even Sarah Brightman recorded it, I'd dare say with a not-so-bad Madrilenian accent.
Well, it's all clear now. :)

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Wow....I've been out of the action for quite a while.....I usually try to weigh in on these posts.

My name....Kopio.....is from my 2nd year Greek class. My Greek prof made us all chose names for ourselves. I chose Kopio from the verb KOPIAW meaning to "labor to the point of exhaustion", because I have 2 jobs, a family, and go to school in my spare time :lol:

Funny sidenot. This didn't happen in my class, but the year before.....the prof would take roll by saying everyone's Greek name in the order they were seated....much to his chagrin he came upon a funny combonation....ALLA/ then GUMNOS!! that's right folks....but...naked! I guess they all laughed so hard they cancelled class for the day!

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

my nick is simply after the goddess of discord.

davidshq
Textkit Neophyte

Post by davidshq »

My handle developed over a very long period of time. I got on the internet when I was probably around 11. Soon after I began dabbling in website design. My first site's name I can no longer remember, but after that I decided I wanted a "professional" name (okay, so for probably a 13 yr. old, it sounded professional), so I chose David's HeadQuarters. Eventually I registered a domain - davidshq.nu. After a few more years I decided David's HeadQuarters didn't sound professional enough so I contracted it to DHQ. Now I go mainly by the handles DHQ and davidshq. The davidshq domain is defunct, now I only own dhq.nu and civilwarsearch.com. I sometimes use civilwarsearch or civilwarsearch.com as a handle as well.
David.