How do many hours a day do you study?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
William
Textkit Fan

How do many hours a day do you study?

Post by William »

Hello all,

I have kept track of the time I spent studying for the last few months, and it turns out I study an average of 2 hours a day. It's usually an hour of German and an hour of Latin. This doesn't count reading books in my native language, English.

My question to y'all: How much language study do you do each day? Also, how much do you think one should study in order to make good progress?

Any and all answers are appreciated.

William

masuro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by masuro »

I generally do about half an hour of Latin a day but I don't think it's good study. I need to concentrate better.
As for how much you need to study, I think studying a set number of minutes every day is the key to successful language study.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It depends on the pace of new information that you have to learn, that is the pace of your class or the rate at which you progress through material. 1-3 hours a day is about what I do with a chapter a week, though I sometimes skip days.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

...well. yea. i dont study at all...nothing. no subject. i dont study and i still get good grades. its so weird. this past report card i had straight As (3 classes) and 1 A-. 4 classes total. its the same with my friend. he doesn't study and he probably got straight As for all 4 classes. i dunno whats wrong with me or him!

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Uni - lots

Greek - little (a few hours a week)

masuro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by masuro »

primitive wrote:...well. yea. i dont study at all...nothing. no subject. i dont study and i still get good grades. its so weird. this past report card i had straight As (3 classes) and 1 A-. 4 classes total. its the same with my friend. he doesn't study and he probably got straight As for all 4 classes. i dunno whats wrong with me or him!
Do you listen well in class? I didn't study in high school but got good grades because I bothered to pay attention in class.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

But soon I hope to start something soon, like german revive it, and welsh. Perhaps also bring my A&G to school but I always get distracted. There's always some one saying something that makes me laugh or other more attractive activities to be done. Or maths. Also you would get too many questions if you actually sat down in a room and started to read especially a smelly old Latin Grammar.

Nowadays I wonder where all the time goes.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I am probably past the optimum age to learn a foreign language, so I try to make up for that disadvantage by using every opportunity to study or read Greek.
It amounts to about 2-3 hours per day. considerably more on days that I don't have to go to work.
Somtimes I am a little disappointed by my progress, other times it seems okay.
When I am done studying grammar and vocab I read a easy reader.
I finished about 30 pages when my reading caught up to my vocabulary, so I started over. This was encouraging because I found I could read it over for the second time fairly quickly and I hardly needed a lexicon.
Whether 2-3 hrs is enough is irrelevant, it's all I got.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I think it's more than enough :o

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

masuro wrote:
primitive wrote:...well. yea. i dont study at all...nothing. no subject. i dont study and i still get good grades. its so weird. this past report card i had straight As (3 classes) and 1 A-. 4 classes total. its the same with my friend. he doesn't study and he probably got straight As for all 4 classes. i dunno whats wrong with me or him!
Do you listen well in class? I didn't study in high school but got good grades because I bothered to pay attention in class.
yea i do

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I spend a lot of hours a day studying, but languages ... hmm... if I count my Latin and Greek classes at school plus homework for those subjects that would be about 1 and 1/2 hours a day.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

primitive wrote:
...well. yea. i dont study at all...nothing. no subject. i dont study and i still get good grades. its so weird. this past report card i had straight As (3 classes) and 1 A-. 4 classes total. its the same with my friend. he doesn't study and he probably got straight As for all 4 classes. i dunno whats wrong with me or him!
Now I'm jealous :wink: .
It used to be like that for me too, I never learned anything and had top marks as I paid attention in class- when I started my Abitur it was a huge shock though, as I started failing exams and those who had before only had average grades were suddenly much better at everything. They were used to studying, whereas I just thought I could go on as before without learning a thing, but sadly that's not possible if you want good Abitur marks at my school. Now I've got used to learning and my grades are good again, but I just thought I'd warn you that at one point you may find that you have to start studying in order to keep up :-(.

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

The majority of the day is spent studying...
and I go to school on Saturday mornings...
and I do about 4 hours work at the weekend as well

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Episcopus wrote:But soon I hope to start something soon, like german revive it, and welsh.
:shock: Welsh!? I thought you hate Welsh?
It's probably not you, it's the lax school system. :wink:

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

i know some kids who have failed economics (required class) twice...its supposed to be a freshman class and some juniors and seniors are taking it because they are horrible.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

primitive wrote:i know some kids who have failed economics (required class) twice...its supposed to be a freshman class and some juniors and seniors are taking it because they are horrible.
Eh... and that means? :? (I know very little about US education system)

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

in my highschool, you have to get a certain amount of credits to graduate. this usually takes 4 years. 1 credit usually equals 1 passed class. they have half classes and classes worth 2 credits...but anyways, if you pss a class, usually that means you get a credit. you need so many math, science, and englsih credits. you also need i think 1 credit of physical education, 1 in economics, 1 in art, and maybe 2 in a foreing language? something like that. but the point is, if you dont get that credit for economics, you dont graduate. in other words, you cant graduate until you pass economics. some kids have failed it twice or maybe 3 times. well...yea. kids just dont want to try at all.

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

& high school is 4 years here - freshman year is first, then sophomore, then junior, then senior. :)

I spend about 45 min./day on Latin, Greek, and Spanish combined. :oops:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Ah, ok, now I get it :) .

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Just barely enough(or not enough) to follow up the Pharr-b study group. To say, to post answers to the lessons. Just skimming on the grammar from time to time.

Philomela
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Philomela »

I study about 2-3 hrs chemistry every night- HORRIBLE! as much latin as i have time for- as that's the subject i truly love to study... and about an hour of biology, and i practice some sign language every night...

installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by installer_swan »

God I wish I could be regular like you guys, I've never had any habit of studying(or doing) anything regularly. I just get into these manic fits :shock: of interest in something and start reading on it and working on a subject like mad for a period ranging from a few days to a few weeks, and that's it.

Even more unfortuntely, doing a course in any subject somehow manages to suck out all the pleasure out of it. Isn't that wierd. Throughout junior school I hated to have to study history social sciences, biology and languages(yes that's right), then when that got chucked out of curriculum after 10th, I despised Chemistry, then after coming to college I hated everything but physics (even *shudder* Overly-rigorous-Maths), Now I am doing only Physics courses and I find that although, most of the time the subject is really interesting,some of my proffessors have a way of making you wonder how anyone can be such an expert in making things boring. And other than Physics right now I seemed to be all fired up to learn languages. Well back a full circle.

Anyway, sorry if this deviated off-topic, so coming back to the point, I sometimes clock upto 16-17 hours of study a day, and sometimes go for days on end sleeping and running and eating and sleeping. But on the whole I'd say I study under 1 hr a day on average, if you limit it to course related work, or upto 3-4hrs a day if you widen the net to include anything academic.

Shanth

Bromden
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bromden »

Well, how do you define "study"? I've always liked this definition: the application of the mental faculties to the acquisition of knowledge.

Hmmm. Using that definition I think most of you will have to boost your numbers to get to a more exact estimate of the time that you "study". Higher, says I. Much higher.