Greek Vocab

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Sunshine
Textkit Neophyte

Greek Vocab

Post by Sunshine »

Hey guys,

Im new here. I was jus wondering about the vocab tool page. It looks like there's only latin vocab stuff on there, or is it just me?. Anywhere I can find Greek vocab?

Thanks. :wink:

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Hello Sunshine.

There isn't yet any Greek vocab. (Something about not being able to send accented Greek letters via email, I think.)

Maybe someday, I guess.

Sunshine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sunshine »

:roll: oh i c. Thanks for your help Eureka! 8)

Sunshine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sunshine »

Another question... is there a difference between hellenic, old testament, new testament and ancient greek?? Or is it all jus the same thing with different names.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Sunshine wrote:Another question... is there a difference between hellenic, old testament, new testament and ancient greek?? Or is it all jus the same thing with different names.
There are basically three eras (that we have here):

Ancient - The time of Homer. Homeric Greek is a poetic dialect from that time.

Classical - The golden age. Each city had its own dialect at that time. Attic Greek is the dialect of Athens at this time.

Hellenistic/Roman - Post Alexander the Great. One dialect was basically used throughout the Greek world: Koine Greek.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Eureka wrote:
Sunshine wrote:Another question... is there a difference between hellenic, old testament, new testament and ancient greek?? Or is it all jus the same thing with different names.
There are basically three eras (that we have here):

Ancient - The time of Homer. Homeric Greek is a poetic dialect from that time.

Classical - The golden age. Each city had its own dialect at that time. Attic Greek is the dialect of Athens at this time.

Hellenistic/Roman - Post Alexander the Great. One dialect was basically used throughout the Greek world: Koine Greek.
I call all these three Ancient Greek and divide them into Homeric, Classical, and Koine.

chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chrisb »

The Greek word list for English and Welsh AS level exams is available at

www.etoncollege.com

in a handy pdf file. Select Eton in Action from the first menu and Greek Project from the second.

chrisb

Sunshine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sunshine »

You guys are awsome! :wink: Thank you so much

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Bert wrote:I call all these three Ancient Greek and divide them into Homeric, Classical, and Koine.
That's what I would call them too, but unfortunately, I think someone had already named them before I got there. :wink:

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Eureka wrote:
Bert wrote:I call all these three Ancient Greek and divide them into Homeric, Classical, and Koine.
That's what I would call them too, but unfortunately, I think someone had already named them before I got there. :wink:
Me :?: :)

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Here is a link to a PDF containing all the words in the New Testament occuring more than 50 times. This accounts for something like %80-%90 of word occurences in the NT.

http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/documents/elgkvoc.pdf

Look at some of the other resources on his site for additional study helps
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/default.htm

There is an intermediate vocabulary which includes the words used 10 or more times http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/document ... ssignU.pdf

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Oh yeah,

welcome to textkit, what's your interest in Greek?

Sunshine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sunshine »

Thanks for the links and the welcome. My goal ultimately is to read the greek version of the bible. There's so many different interpretations out there, n I thought it would be neat to read the earlier texts for myself. :)

I also do classics at college.

And y'self? 8)

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Great, good idea about reading the Bible in Greek, it can help you avoid many common mistakes. Someone studying classics of course will know that context is still the final authority.

I'm a Bible student, but my Greek is little. I'd eventually like to read some Marcus Aurelius, and Aristotle later, but those are way out my reach right now. I'll just work on my NT reading skills for some time.

Check out Samuel Green's grammar here at textkit, its one of my favorites and a great supplement to William Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek. Think about reading the NT first then look at the OT LXX in Greek. The OT was originally written in Hebrew.

Sunshine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sunshine »

Cool. It's nice to be around people who share the same interests. :D

Yeh it seems like most people start with the NT. I had downloaded and made a start with White's book.

What would you recommend... should I just start with the books specifically for the NT like Mounces or should I use both books?

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Sunshine wrote:Cool. It's nice to be around people who share the same interests. :D

Yeh it seems like most people start with the NT. I had downloaded and made a start with White's book.

What would you recommend... should I just start with the books specifically for the NT like Mounces or should I use both books?
If you want to be able to read both Attic and Koine, it's best to start with Attic, because it's easy to go from Attic to Koine, but not the other way round.

chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chrisb »

If you want to read the NT, a very good site to start off with might be:

http://www.btinternet.com/~mispar/GNotes/

The whole of the NT is there, in Greek, split into weekly study sections. The text is not translated for you, but there are good notes on vocabulary.

chrisb