Pictures of the Past

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Pictures of the Past

Post by Adelheid »

When I was very young (well, 10 years old), I was very much impressed by a painting by Maccari, representing Cicero speeching against Catilina.

http://www.ac-nice.fr/etabs/audiberti/l ... tilina.php gives you a view of the painting I am referring to.

The painting was displayed in a book about Caesar and somehow very much influenced my vision of Romans (and also, I don't know why, made me sympathise with poor little outcast Catilina, not with Cicero). I think I also saw an echo of this representation of the senate in the movie "Spartacus"? Even now, I use this painting as a background on my laptop.

I was wondering, did any particular paintings, movies, influence YOUR vision of the (Roman) past?

Awaiting your reactions I will go and contemplate the passing of time (I am a LOT LOT older than 10 years right now).

regards,
Adelheid

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Adelheid, great idea.

Is it okay that I include a Greek work, seeing you seem to be looking for Roman works? The Romans found it, so that should count for something...

I saw this piece in an art book when I was about 14, and I was mesmerized. I was terrified by it, not knowing the story. Actually, as an adult knowing the story of Laocoon, it still scares me.

William B

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Greek examples are just fine too, that's why I posted (Roman) and not Roman. My example just happens to be Roman.

Regards,
Adelheid

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Oh, and my example isn't even ancient, it is, as far as I know, a 20th century work.

Adelheid

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Oh, I remember that painting too, lol, it was in my Latin book. Because of this painting I kept imagining the senate to be round. What surprised me most when we visited Rome was that we took a look at the building that was supposedly the senate - and it was an oblong room! :shock: Hehehe, looked like the house of commons a bit.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

I could say that, rather, the paintings and art from the past, influenced my vision of the present, and the future. I was always deleited in the beauty of the aegyptian, greek, and roman art (if we could say that romans had art of their own).

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

I saw this in a book when I was twelve and so I always imagined it was like the Norse, sticking a giant statue on the boat prow :oops:

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

From Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

This movie was a real inspiration to me.

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

Oh wait....I think they did actually stick it on the prow :oops: :oops:

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Not the actual stone statue, did they?

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

wait, no what I said first was right - it's a statue of her on a prow, but they didn't put it on...a prow...
....:oops: :roll:

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc »

(I've been to the Vatican Museum, and I've seen the Lacoon. Stunning.)

"The Death of Socrates" by someone. Yeah, I know that's a big help. Also, the illustrations in "Ecce Romani!" were a big influence.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pictures of the Past

Post by Eureka »

Adelheid wrote:I was wondering, did any particular paintings, movies, influence YOUR vision of the (Roman) past?
Asterix. :)

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Amy, did you know that this statue was inspired by your nike?

Look here:

http://www.artdreamguide.com/adg/_arti/ ... us/507.htm

It is also depicted on the 20 eurocent coin, issued by Italy. I love this statue! I even went as far as to buy the first edition of that silly little coin, which I carry with me all the time now. "Forme uniche della continuità nello spazio". The name of the statue is a piece of art in itself ...

Adelheid

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Looks like it just popped out of a 'Gundam'-kind of anime. :P