The Bible: the word of God?

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!
Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:54 pm

irrumatissimus es.
Nonne putas me esse matrem tuam? O magnum erratum!

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:08 am

Certe, o Petule, esne quoque stultissimus? linguane latina fugit te, inepte? Lege, si tibi placeat, irrumatissumus neque irrumatissima.

(et matris natura non licet) :wink:
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:16 am

Certe, o Petule, esne quoque stultissimus? linguane latina fugit te, inepte? Lege, si tibi placeat, irrumatissumus neque irrumatissima.

(et matris natura non licet)
Sic est! iam cognoveram te legisse declinationem falsum. Sed ratio verborum significat matrem tuam.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:35 am

Pete, if you post another thing in this thread that does not have anything what so ever to do with the original topic then I will delete it.
phpbb

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:16 pm

Pete, if you post another thing in this thread that does not have anything what so ever to do with the original topic then I will delete it.
That off-topic posting is exactly what I was complaining about! --before Kasper here started swearing at me in Latin. Am I to endure profane insults without giving back the like?

Clearly you are as arbitrary as fate and as harsh as Drakon, and if you really want to play god of your little message board and delete my posts when you don't like my opinions, then by all means, who can stop you except the powers above you? Not I, my friend.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:22 pm

Pete wrote:
That off-topic posting is exactly what I was complaining about! --before Kasper here started swearing at me in Latin. Am I to endure profane insults without giving back the like?

Clearly you are as arbitrary as fate and as harsh as Drakon, and if you really want to play god of your little message board and delete my posts when you don't like my opinions, then by all means, who can stop you except the powers above you? Not I, my friend.
I sure hope you are joking.
The trouble with having discussions with people we don't know, using a forum that is not face to face, is that at times it is hard to tell if someone is serious, sarcastic, out to hurt someone or just kidding around.
Sometimes I wish that the moderators would interupt a bit more.
Of course they don't want to play police-man, so I can understand that they want to use their authority as little as possible. As a rule the discussions are polite so don't get me wrong, I am not complaining.
Just play by the rules.
I'll stop now before I get rebuked for being off-topic :)

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:11 am

It appears that this thread has run it's course. I have enjoyed it. It seems most people here, including myself, had already made up their minds but there were a couple who seemed not so sure. If anyone has any additional questions, I would be happy to try to answer them privately.

Chiggles, I answered your PM a couple days ago, but I noticed tonight that it was still in my outbox (not sure what I did wrong). I am guessing that you never got it, I will try to resend it. Let me know if you don't get it soon.

Looking forward to the next discussion.

Rhuiden

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:18 pm

Bert wrote:I sure hope you are joking.
The trouble with having discussions with people we don't know, using a forum that is not face to face, is that at times it is hard to tell if someone is serious, sarcastic, out to hurt someone or just kidding around.
Sometimes I wish that the moderators would interupt a bit more.
Of course they don't want to play police-man, so I can understand that they want to use their authority as little as possible. As a rule the discussions are polite so don't get me wrong, I am not complaining.
Just play by the rules.
I'll stop now before I get rebuked for being off-topic :)
No, don't worry, you're not a spammer. Don't bother to reply to Pete anymore, Jeff has banned him.
phpbb

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:54 pm

Looking forward to the next discussion.
Excellent. Always nice to hold a pleasant discussion with intelligent correspondents. I shall look forward it also.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:54 pm

Don't bother to reply to Pete anymore, Jeff has banned him.
Although I appreciate the classical nature of his punishment (I will be expecting his tristia), isn't that bit harsh? Although he may have been somewhat inconsiderate and outspoken, jsut like most of us he is trying to learn these languages and (probably) needs all the help he can get.
Will you not reconsider? Perhaps put him on parole or some sort of good behaviour bond?
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”