Other Good Language Forums

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Iulius Caesar
Textkit Neophyte

Other Good Language Forums

Post by Iulius Caesar »

When first endeavoring to take Latin my intentions were to learn the basic structure and language roots so i could learn other modern day languages. Textkit.com really helped me get through Wheelocks and now I think I have enough basic Latin to learn some modern language. I was wondering, does anyone know of a language forum just like this one for languages such as: Spanish, Italian, German, French, etc. Or even some to help teach Russian, Japanese, or other languages not related to Latin? Thanks for your help!

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

I don't know any such forums, but why not immerse yourself amongst forums full of native speakers on a subject you enjoy?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I have searched. I failed. I stay textkit.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

I have two nifty pre 1923 Spanish Grammars, perhaps we can talk Jeff into starting a website :wink:

Older Spanish Grammars are neat they teach the language fully aware of all the dialects (they weren't ignorant, they just had a different theory than the ones today). They teach the actual language and expect the student to be competent enough to either pick up a reader for a dialect or just get used to the differences through reading in that area.

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Other Good Language Forums

Post by NelsonN »

Iulius Caesar wrote:I was wondering, does anyone know of a language forum just like this one for languages such as: Spanish, Italian, German, French, etc.
Excellent daily tutorials and forum for Spanish.
http://spanish.miningco.com/

Here is a French language site, also hosted at about.com with a forum.
http://french.about.com/

Here is another one with several languages, of which French is among them, but very little goes on there. Great idea, but poor participation.
http://www.sans-voix.com/

Hope this helps some.

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Other Good Language Forums

Post by mariek »

NelsonN wrote: Here is a French language site, also hosted at about.com with a forum.
http://french.about.com/

I've used the French language site on About.com in the past. It is pretty good. Lots of resources, articles, lessons. Good participation on the forums.

Another French resource (not a forum) I like to use:

Grand dictionnaire terminologique
http://www.granddictionnaire.com/btml/f ... 1024_1.asp
You can look up some terms that you may not easily find in your French dictionary.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

tdominus wrote:I don't know any such forums, but why not immerse yourself amongst forums full of native speakers on a subject you enjoy?

That can be quite challenging! I tried it for a very brief period on a computer forum in French. I think part of the problem for me was computer terminology.

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

mariek wrote:
tdominus wrote:I don't know any such forums, but why not immerse yourself amongst forums full of native speakers on a subject you enjoy?

That can be quite challenging! I tried it for a very brief period on a computer forum in French. I think part of the problem for me was computer terminology.
Yeah, I'd expect that to be difficult considering the French attitude to borrowing words. :) Still, I feel it's the best way to become fluent in a language. As you point out, doing so would require some prior competence and confidence in using the language.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

How about one for (Elementary) German?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

er Hugo in 3 Months german?

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Perhaps the series should hire you as Public Mascot?

And my library doesn't have it. :(:(

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

But perhaps I outghta buy it.. 15$ ain't especially discouraging..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

That woman's story about the sick child and insulin is truly inspiring!!

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Uh, uh, if anyone is interested in spanish I can help... up to some point of course :D

I knew of a very good japanese language forum in spanish, but it has gone down because of some troubles the autor had. It was very very good, it's really a shame. I could just keep with my japanese if the kanjis weren't so many!

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

forums

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

Has anyone tried any of the language groups on Yahoo or MSN? They have them for both learners and native speakers.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

haha and it can save a child's life also. (from a reviewer on amazon): "Schnell bitte! Mein kinder ist furchtbar Krank! Er braucht insulin!" and then as she could understand the child was saved. Who said that German was the language of killers.

vidalf
Textkit Neophyte

Post by vidalf »

http://www.masterrussian.net/mforum/
A part of the site dedicated to the learning of Russian language. There are several helpful native speakers. Some other language subforums were added recently, although they are somewhat silent yet...

Also worth noting the forum I've came about recently, it looks quite interesting so far.
http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/

Btw, I don't think that Russian is completely not related to Latin. Although the Latin words in it are not so plentiful as in Latin's direct descendants, the grammar is pretty similar to that of Latin in many aspects... I mean, the familiarity with Latin grammar definetely will make learning of Russian easier.
Last edited by vidalf on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete »

Even television has decayed to sex selling decadence. It's possible to just unplug the TV and never go to the movies, but there are valuable shows to be seen as well. If you know where to look and what to look for, it can be possible to live a clean Christian life and still be "entertained".

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Pete wrote:Even television has decayed to sex selling decadence. It's possible to just unplug the TV and never go to the movies, but there are valuable shows to be seen as well. If you know where to look and what to look for, it can be possible to live a clean Christian life and still be "entertained".
uh, Pete?

Perhaps I'm blind, but what does this have to do with this thread? Its an interesting thought though. I myself have eliminated cable, and have no antenna. I watch DVD's, use the net, and XM radio. Programming for TV is garbage, and the price does not match the product.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Pete wrote:Even television has decayed to sex selling decadence. It's possible to just unplug the TV and never go to the movies, but there are valuable shows to be seen as well. If you know where to look and what to look for, it can be possible to live a clean Christian life and still be "entertained".
Can't a lot of modern TVs block cretain programmes? (For if you have kids.)

As for yourself, just don't watch what you don't want to watch.

(BTW, I'd also like to know what this has to do with the thread topic?)