Homer: Movie to Books?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Homer: Movie to Books?

Post by classicalclarinet »

There is a little snippet in the NYT arts section today that reports Homer is the best seller of peotry in Britain and that "we've seen a huge revival for Classical Greek epic poetry this year, which we have put down to the "Troy" effect", accoring to Amazon.co.uk's senior book editor.

So there really might be a 'trickle-down effect"...

PS. who is planing to see the movie "alexander"?

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

So... The next generation of classicists will have very bad taste in movies and an unhealthy obsession with Brad Pitt.

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

What is Alexander? Who is making it? If it is the same people as involved with troy, I hope they find themselves someone able to write dialogue.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

tdominus wrote:What is Alexander? Who is making it? If it is the same people as involved with troy, I hope they find themselves someone able to write dialogue.
"Hector smash!"

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

I made two attempts to watch Troy, but simply couldn't endure it. :) As Catullus says, "quis hoc potest videre, quis potest pati? nisi impudicus et vorax et aleo". ;)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Eureka wrote:obsession with Brad Pitt.
And of course Colin Farrell.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

What's the deal with females and obsessions of attractive males? Albae quidem Jessicae velim in fossam veru impellere conari, attamen in aeternum mi solum erit inanis dignitateque valdissime carens.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

Everyone in the ancient world depicted him as with dashing hair, ect. , so I think pararells can be many in the present day.
(I don't think Farell has dashing hair, though.)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Episcopus wrote:What's the deal with females and obsessions of attractive males?
What's the deal with males and obsessions of attractive females?

Episcoparion, miram quaestionem ponuisti.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

I wonder if there was a boost in the number of people studying classics after the release of The Life of Brian.

ROMANI EUNT DOMUS

vidalf
Textkit Neophyte

Post by vidalf »

Did someone here watch "Helen of Troy" series? It has been released on the DVD in 2003 I think. Well I somewhat liked it, except for the portrayal of Achilles though... Anyways, it looks strange to me that whenever somewhere the Troy movie discussion arises, this one is almost never mentioned, while it certainly has its pluses over the latter... As well as the other way around of course.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

vidalf wrote:Did someone here watch "Helen of Troy" series? It has been released on the DVD in 2003 I think. Well I somewhat liked it, except for the portrayal of Achilles though... Anyways, it looks strange to me that whenever somewhere the Troy movie discussion arises, this one is almost never mentioned, while it certainly has its pluses over the latter... As well as the other way around of course.
This is because "Helen of Troy" did not have brad and orlando in it running around in short skirts.

Personally, I really enjoyed "Troy", and it bugs me when people pick it apart for "accuracy" instead of enjoying it for what it is--art and entertainment. Seriously, how could it be accurate in any sense since the standard against which it is measured is simply a myth itself, whose authorship and authenticity is also questioned? :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus