Short naps and short attention spans and other short things

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Short naps and short attention spans and other short things

Post by Episcopus »

I was just thinking about Timothy. He said "...short nap". Is every one else capable of taking random short naps? It takes so much effort from me even when so tired to go to sleep. I can not take short naps! I either sleep or I do not sleep. I can't stop thinking about some elements sometimes however.

I don't know exactly the point of this, but whiteoctave has disappeared so I am bored. We used to play chess see. Now because he's a LOSER working all the time ooh you epiphony episkopos stikhomythia, no I meant a stick wherewith one play 'softball' is it? Also due to his lack of existing in this place I suppose I can say whiteoctave sooo like bite me!!! you LOSER!!!
He shan't be offended, he knows I am grateful but still you're a loser mate. Only joking.

No but seriously I appreciate your help you loser. Speaking of losers do you know, not due to desire but boredom, that I am doing 6 a levels. I was too cheeky to the maths teacher today, you know when kids haven't done their homework they're usually either not there or off it or on the retreat and slightly nervous. And they get ooh detention. I said a proud "Noooooooo! I haven't done it! Can you NOT give us any more homework please?" It was quite funny actually and although this post sounds like an Aurelia diary it's pretty much the opposite in terms of compliance. Oh no wait for realism. I saw my crush today in maths. oooh my god. She would not give me a sheet of something so I just used it as an excuse to play on her and hug her and fight her. oooh and she sooo smiled at me because I am a rebel. oooh. Bad boy 4 life like. Hypocrisy don't you just love it. This is asking for some one to insult me. Come on jeff! Or even the notorious Natester!

Sooo like in chemistry I asked the cheekiest question of them all, that every one after all these electron orbital configurations really wants to know but does not have the audacity. oh yes. "Sir, have you ever actually seen an electron? Do they have smiley faces?" "No and no" "What if you are proved wrong in the future and your whole life's work will be a failure?" He credit to him explained why electrons were in different situations, talking about the T.V. and how electrons are ejected into the vacuum to the screen etc. So I asked him if I shove my hand in my T.V. will I get electrons all over my hand, and what will I happen if I lick my hand and subsequently eat them. And he still talked to me with respect.

No potatoes today. There was a tennis ball but you know, a potato is a potato. You say potato I say tennis ball unfortunately.

I should go out more that's agreed well I am tomorrow to see that disturbing film the village and nancisar some honeys. I have my eye on a christian girl with red lips who has suddenly turned so fine. I'll make some boy accidentally tip some juice over me so that I might have an excuse to take my shirt off and walk to the front of the cinema to the toilets and I don't even have to say anything to them. Och jag ska också bära en bouncy ball.

As whiteoctave would say, I'm off to read another 350 lines of ThucycydididEuripdpdididididices, but you can replace ThucycydididEuripdpdididididices with weights and 350 with some.

Feel free to ignore all of the above. As I said I am bored and tired.

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

My psychology teacher in eleventh grade said that short naps (20-30 minutes) are good for you, but long ones aren't. The reason is that during longer naps you run the risk of falling into the REM stage of sleep. When that happens, people generally sleep in cycles of about four hours. Waking up in the middle of such a period makes it harder for you to get back to your activities because your body wanted to finish that four-hour time period of rest.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

I never could master the cat nap either. I need Hours or none. Like Episcopus, it takes too much effort to fall asleep at all. Churchill was supposedly a notorious napper. Perhaps I'll work on it. 8) That's it, I'll devote long sections of my day to mastering the short nap.

elisa
Textkit Neophyte

I enjoy naps

Post by elisa »

I enjoy naps, but haven't had the chance for them in a long time. I definitely cannot take 20 minute naps. Mine are more of the two hour variety, and often I take them with the hopes of a lucid dream (knowing you're dreaming while you're dreaming), which happens much more often for me during naps than during regular sleeping hours.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Please... don't tell me you are taking Chemistry A-level! :shock:

You don't even know the difference between an electron and a proton...

:wink:

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Short naps and short attention spans and other short thi

Post by benissimus »

Episcopus wrote:I was just thinking about Timothy. He said "...short nap". Is every one else capable of taking random short naps? It takes so much effort from me even when so tired to go to sleep. I can not take short naps! I either sleep or I do not sleep. I can't stop thinking about some elements sometimes however.

I don't know exactly the point of this, but whiteoctave has disappeared so I am bored. We used to play chess see. Now because he's a LOSER working all the time ooh you epiphony episkopos stikhomythia, no I meant a stick wherewith one play 'softball' is it? Also due to his lack of existing in this place I suppose I can say whiteoctave sooo like bite me!!! you LOSER!!!
He shan't be offended, he knows I am grateful but still you're a loser mate. Only joking.

No but seriously I appreciate your help you loser. Speaking of losers do you know, not due to desire but boredom, that I am doing 6 a levels. I was too cheeky to the maths teacher today, you know when kids haven't done their homework they're usually either not there or off it or on the retreat and slightly nervous. And they get ooh detention. I said a proud "Noooooooo! I haven't done it! Can you NOT give us any more homework please?" It was quite funny actually and although this post sounds like an Aurelia diary it's pretty much the opposite in terms of compliance. Oh no wait for realism. I saw my crush today in maths. oooh my god. She would not give me a sheet of something so I just used it as an excuse to play on her and hug her and fight her. oooh and she sooo smiled at me because I am a rebel. oooh. Bad boy 4 life like. Hypocrisy don't you just love it. This is asking for some one to insult me. Come on jeff! Or even the notorious Natester!

Sooo like in chemistry I asked the cheekiest question of them all, that every one after all these electron orbital configurations really wants to know but does not have the audacity. oh yes. "Sir, have you ever actually seen an electron? Do they have smiley faces?" "No and no" "What if you are proved wrong in the future and your whole life's work will be a failure?" He credit to him explained why electrons were in different situations, talking about the T.V. and how electrons are ejected into the vacuum to the screen etc. So I asked him if I shove my hand in my T.V. will I get electrons all over my hand, and what will I happen if I lick my hand and subsequently eat them. And he still talked to me with respect.

No potatoes today. There was a tennis ball but you know, a potato is a potato. You say potato I say tennis ball unfortunately.

I should go out more that's agreed well I am tomorrow to see that disturbing film the village and nancisar some honeys. I have my eye on a christian girl with red lips who has suddenly turned so fine. I'll make some boy accidentally tip some juice over me so that I might have an excuse to take my shirt off and walk to the front of the cinema to the toilets and I don't even have to say anything to them. Och jag ska också bära en bouncy ball.

As whiteoctave would say, I'm off to read another 350 lines of ThucycydididEuripdpdididididices, but you can replace ThucycydididEuripdpdididididices with weights and 350 with some.

Feel free to ignore all of the above. As I said I am bored and tired.
Like, yesterday, I did not sleep at all the night before because I was watching Kill Bill: Volume I and we had to call a tow truck in the morning because my brother's car doesn't work and he has to drive me to school. But my brother wouldn't wake up so I let him sleep for an hour because I didn't really want to go to school anyway because I was so tired from watching Kill Bill: Volume I the night before! So he called the tow truck at about 9 am and I had to be in class at 10:30 am. I thought I had time to go to the store like, so I went there and there was a new cashier who was nicer than the usual one who glares at me and follows me around even though I go there every day. So I went to go pay for my Arizona Iced Tea © and whooooooooooaaaa the cashier was my former Latin teacher! So we went off and did Latin all day and giggled and ran around in a field and under a bridge.

So about 15 minutes later I got home and my brother was outside talking to a guy in a carpet van so I got the idea that this carpet cleaner van was like some mechanic from the tow truck company but that was a pretty stupid idea. So the van drove away because my brother was just giving it directions and I went inside and Episcopus was not on msn messenger so I got really depressed and ate 2 burritos. Then the tow truck showed up and revived the car and we went to school and I went to school and there was a yam on the ground! So I kicked the yam of course and it hit my chemistry teacher in the face. I said I was sorry but he just walked away like nothing happened. He was not the same in class that day for he turned all of the lights off in the class and when people complained they could not see he took out his zippo lighter and burnt all of our tests and left them flaming on the classroom floor for light. Then at lunch time I saw my old high school crush in the quad and we went and sat together and giggled and fed each other french fries and wrote latin stories teeheehee

And later when my brother picked me up he said I looked like a crackhead because I was so tired and I was feeling sick so of course I decided to go straight to bed when I got home, so of course when I got home the first thing I did was go on the computer. And then I read 360 lines of Thucydides and then I did the equivalent amount of pushups/weights/whatever. Then I went to sleep with Episcopus' favorite song playing by Brandy and Monica "The Boy is Mine" (the dream was about getting a little black mouse as a present which purred but in the dream I lost the mouse :().
Last edited by benissimus on Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I have a hard time taking any naps, at any time. Can't fall asleep.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Firstly my favourite song is NOT the boy is mine! It is the worst song that I have ever heard in my life. I prefer whiteoctave's music to that. Steven you make me irascate. And the yam thing is a total LIE. Mensonge! On peut le voir de loin! In the quad? Your shameful parody is innaccurate to say the least. I do not eat french fries. You can not do 1 press up. Also no one here or there can write latin stories which please me.

I read an amazing french poem today. It was about figures in a mansion park forgot the name. Made me think though. It was about old times and they had returned and one used tu but the other vous showing some sort of lack of will to relive the past as spectres.

Emma you cheeky bugger! Since when do I not the difference between a proton and electron?! :shock: I'll have you know I am the best chemistry student the teacher thrives on my queries. Granted I may not know too many things but that's a bit drastic my dear german.

Lupus minimus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupus minimus »

I actually have a very mild case of narcolepsy (sp?), which means that every few weeks I will just have to crash (pretty much anywhere) and sleep for about two hours.
This can be quite annoying, but also quite funny. Luckily, my work colleagues are understanding, and they are not surprised if they see mee lying behind my desk, my head resting on a telephone book.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Well I must admit that I often have to fight going to sleep on the bus, during double German and of course during Latin. But it's worst on the bus, because if I go to sleep on the bus, and it's so hard not too, I might suddenly wake up a few km away from where I want to be.

And I remember trying to explain GCSE chemistry to you on msn. You were getting quite confused about how much a Carbon atom would way and what those annoying neutrons were doing next to the protons if all they do is sit around being heavy. :P

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Your explanations sucked! In the end I talked to a chemistry teacher while making fun of other people who bought their own chemistry books, she is very cool called them 'Loooosers!' that is a teacher. Anyway she told me simply the extremely easy 2 years' work. It is so simple i had pretty much full marks you were just talking far too much german mate :shock: chemistry is shockingly easy. However show a british person another language and they suddenly become shockingly dumb. :?

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Emma_85 wrote:And I remember trying to explain GCSE chemistry to you on msn. You were getting quite confused about how much a Carbon atom would way and what those annoying neutrons were doing next to the protons if all they do is sit around being heavy. :P
I would hope that that's beyond a high-school chemistry course. :shock:

Anyway, I could give an answer to that... But, like all good physics explainations, it just raises more questions. :D

Oh, and Episcopus, all chem is easy. What self-respecting person would ask for chemistry explainations?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

er...some one who does not know 1 thing about chemistry apart from the chemical symbol for gold? I was and am so poorly educated that it is funny.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

The older I get, the more I love short little catnaps. If I can sneak in 20-30 minutes of shuteye before I head off to work, I feel like a new man.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Episcopus wrote:er...some one who does not know 1 thing about chemistry apart from the chemical symbol for gold? I was and am so poorly educated that it is funny.
If it wasn't for your knowledge of Latin, you'd be one to think that the chemical symbol for gold was 'Go'.

(Just to clarify, good bishop; I was responding to your request for insults.)

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

The symbols for silver, lead, sodium, tin, and potassium also come from Latin.

EDIT:
And iron.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Dacicus wrote:The symbols for silver, lead, sodium, tin, and potassium also come from Latin.

EDIT:
And iron.
Aren't all the elements from Greek or Latin base words?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Most of them, I think he meant to point out the ones that have obscure symbols (if not for knowledge of the Latin roots). I remember sitting at my desk wincing while my chemistry teacher butchered the etymology of these and other chemistry terms one day. He thinks all Latin words end in -um, that the word atom comes from the Greek word atmos (like atmosphere), and he incorporated these misconceptions into the textbook for the course which is written by him. :roll:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

MyIlium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MyIlium »

Chemistry blows. I thought the chemical symbols were OK, but I mean, who really understands how the base constant relates to the potential of a buffer?

I'm watching a rerun of our old orchestra concert right now. Ouch. There's me, screwing up.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Sigh. I never understood chemistry. I was given a passing grade with the solemn promise never, never, ever to go into the field of chemistry. I’m more than OK with that.

And he’s writing a book on it? I’d wager it only comes out in mimeograph format.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

It's probably because there is the tiniest hint of doubt in your mind; for, after all, no one has ever seen an electron! And no one ever will mwaha! Which the chemistry teacher stresses every lesson now. That's the uniquity of chemistry, other studies have actually been conspected.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Episcopus wrote:It's probably because there is the tiniest hint of doubt in your mind; for, after all, no one has ever seen an electron! And no one ever will mwaha! Which the chemistry teacher stresses every lesson now. That's the uniquity of chemistry, other studies have actually been conspected.
Meh! We like seeing things because it’s our strongest sense. We therefore think we understand something only if we’ve seen it. But I ask you; do we understand a car best by looking at it, or by having someone explain to us what it does?

If we were dogs, we would want to smell everything. If we hadn’t smelt something, we didn’t understand it; but if we had smelt it, we understood it perfectly. Just like the electron, then, we could never understand a block of steel.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Eureka wrote:But I ask you; do we understand a car best by looking at it, or by having someone explain to us what it does?
Actually, neither. I understand a car best by driving it. And by having to go repair various pieces every 2 weeks. ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

MyIlium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MyIlium »

Episcopus wrote:It's probably because there is the tiniest hint of doubt in your mind; for, after all, no one has ever seen an electron! And no one ever will mwaha! Which the chemistry teacher stresses every lesson now. That's the uniquity of chemistry, other studies have actually been conspected.
I dissent. Haven't people already "seen" electrons through their fancy-schmancy magnifying equipment? Or so they say...

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

MyIlium wrote:
I dissent. Haven't people already "seen" electrons through their fancy-schmancy magnifying equipment? Or so they say...
It's a lie! Believe none of it.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

No one has ever seen an electron. People have just about seen the atom but not electron. They have a negligible mass in comparison to 1 of a proton or neutron and there are 6.02x10^23 atoms in 3g of Lithium for example. That's a load of atoms. God knows how they saw a bloody atom. I want to see one.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Episcopus wrote:No one has ever seen an electron. People have just about seen the atom but not electron. They have a negligible mass in comparison to 1 of a proton or neutron and there are 6.02x10^23 atoms in 3g of Lithium for example. That's a load of atoms. God knows how they saw a bloody atom. I want to see one.
How do you define “seeing”?

If you define “seeing” as being able to view the position of something, without necessarily being able to view its details, then we have seen individual atoms with an electron microscope (i.e. by firing electrons at it and measuring how they rebound).

What’s so exciting about seeing the results of that? (All you see is the shape of the surface of the material.)

(BTW, does this make me God?)

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

Here's a quote from my biology textbook about electron microscopy:
The SEM [scanning electron microscope] is especially useful for detailed study of the surface of the specimen. The electron beam scans the surface of the sample, which is usually coated with a thin film of gold. The beam excites electrons on the sample's surface, and these secondary electrons are collected and focused onto a screen. The result is an image of the topography of the specimen. The SEM has great depth of field, which results in an image that appears three-dimensional.
Like Eureka said, they just see the surface shape of the material. If the material consists of one layer of atoms, however, they can basically "see" an atom.

There's also a technique for seeing the inside of a specimen using a transmission electron microscope. My biology textbook talks about the technique in conjunction with the study of cells, however, so I don't know if it can be used to view atoms.
No

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Dacicus wrote:
No
I donno, the bishop was pretty clear on the matter:
Episcopus wrote:God knows how they saw a bloody atom.

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

Eureka wrote:I donno, the bishop was pretty clear on the matter:
Episcopus wrote:God knows how they saw a bloody atom.
I'm pretty sure you know that what he wrote is a common expression used to indicate personal lack of knowledge about the topic to which it refers. I think the personal ignorance is the important point of that expression. It does not imply that only God knows, although He certainly understands the topic much better than we do.

Barrius
Textkit Member

Re: Short naps and short attention spans and other short thi

Post by Barrius »

Episcopus wrote:So I asked him if I shove my hand in my T.V. will I get electrons all over my hand, and what will I happen if I lick my hand and subsequently eat them. And he still talked to me with respect.
Ask him about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. I mean, how can you know the proton/electrons are there, when the measurment of such disturbs their path thru space?

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

P.S. I like naps when I can get them. A brother-in-law takes one during lunch - just pulls off the road and snoozes for 20 minutes or so.

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

:oops: Timothy, what is gingilismus?

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

"gingilismus medicamentum bellissimum est"

~embellished latin translation of "laughter is the best medicine"
link

It can't be that much of a famous saying - Google lists only three references to it. And two of those refer to Tim here.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I have been wondering the same thing...

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

atriades wrote::oops: Timothy, what is gingilismus?
pealing laughter.

I like humor. I love to laugh. It makes me feel good. What goes around, comes around. So I'm trying to send some along. 8)

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Turpissimus wrote:
It can't be that much of a famous saying - Google lists only three references to it. And two of those refer to Tim here.
Now that's funny. :lol:

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

Ask him about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. I mean, how can you know the proton/electrons are there, when the measurment of such disturbs their path thru space?
Experiments have been done that support their existence. For example, look up J. J. Thomson and Ernest Rutherford. Furthermore, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle refers to measuring observable properties of particles, not their very existence. You have to assume that the particles exist and that they exhibit certain measurable properties before you can go about measuring those properties.

MyIlium
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MyIlium »

Well, at any rate you're walking a fine line when you say that chem. is the only science that hasn't been quote conspected. You can't exactly see gravity or sound waves and the like, or any of the things in the realm of physics, for that matter. You just have to take them for granted. And electrons very nearly fall in there, since they're so small they exhibit very strong wave properties, which puts them more near the energy end of the spectrum than matter.

I must have missed where gingilismus came in.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Oh my I learned the mass of electron today and electron gun saw. But it was bloody 5kW! 9.109 x 10^-31 ! Ouch. 1/1840 proton. Then a nut threw a chemistry book out of the window. Then I found a lunchbox on the table and threw it out of the window.