what are the kids listening to?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

what are the kids listening to?

Post by Jeff Tirey »

It's the start of a new school year and I'm wondering what's making its rounds on campus.

I'm in serious need of some new tunes. I try to stay on top of music but lately I have been listening to the same stuff over and over and over.

Lately I have been listening to a lot of:

Interpol (um, you're missing out if you haven't heard their tunes)
Death Cab for Cutie
British Sea Power
Guster
Modest Mouse
Keane
The Postal Service

Anyone have suggestions? My tastes are for college/indie rock. I'm a Real Audio subscriber so I can listen to just about anything.

Rap, R&B, Urban and Country suggestion need not reply :wink:

Anyone know of good Spanish rock bands?

jeff
Textkit Founder

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

sunny day real estate, braid, christie front drive, deseparacidos, kids near water, mineral, spy versus spy, gene, urotsikudoji, suction, waterpistol, every band on Deep Elm (except camber and seven storey), silver sun, aereogramme, oceansize, far, hopesfall, jawbreaker, eels, refused, reuben's accomplice, texas is the reason, symposium, lemonheads, reno kid. they just came to me as i typed, but there are around, say, 450 other bands that i think make truly good music.

~D

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

listening to sunny day realestate right now...
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

haha, you two surprise me (I don't have any suggestions at the moment).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Me too.
I would have thought that both jeff and whiteoctave listen to classical music. (Try it, it's good.)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Bert wrote:I would have thought that both jeff and whiteoctave listen to classical music. (Try it, it's good.)
It is good. But one can't stomp to it. For that... Dieselboy!

(This falls out of Jeff's usual range, I think.)

Have I raved about Hybrid at you already?
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Titus Marius Crispus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Titus Marius Crispus »

Hmm.. I have never heard of a single one of those groups.

Are we on different continents (North America here)?

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

man, I sure do love Moon and Antarctica. It has always been my favorite Modest Mouse cd, and now that they're publicly played, they kind of lost their edge.

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

Flogging Molly (I'm seeing them in concert in a few weeks!), White Stripes, Evanescence, Incubus...not sure if those are in the genre you want.

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

I'm embarrassed to suggest music to a college student, but I like X Japan and Dir en grey (japanese bands)

hehe & in my mind texas is the reason => emo => bright eyes => http://ablemedia.com/ctcweb/sound/passer.mp3

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Bert wrote:Me too.
I would have thought that both jeff and whiteoctave listen to classical music. (Try it, it's good.)
Surprise! Surprise! Classical, like that too - but for work I like the faster stuff. I have an autographed Paul Oakenfold poster on my wall and I could listen to Daft Punk's "One More Time" for about 4 hours straight.
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Aurelia wrote:Flogging Molly (I'm seeing them in concert in a few weeks!), White Stripes, Evanescence, Incubus...not sure if those are in the genre you want.
White Stripes know how to rock. I like their tune 'The hardest button to button'
Textkit Founder

cicerosum
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cicerosum »

Well, over here in geezerland Louis Armstrong, Art Blakey, Charlie Christian and Benny Goodman never go out of style. And Coltrane and Monk of course.

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

jeff wrote:listening to sunny day realestate right now...
One time I bought a CD by this band, just because I liked the cover art so much. The CD was "Diary." I had never heard of them, and had no idea whether they had a following.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

i don't think I could listen to Daft Punk just one more time... ;) like Prodigy?

Lupus minimus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupus minimus »

Anyone know of good Spanish rock bands?
My personnal favourite is "Soda Stereo", from Argentina. They broke up about 15 years ago, but their last album "El ultimo concierto" is rock at its best.

Also from Argentina, with a strong ska flavour, are the "Fabulosos cadillacs".

Good is Mexico's "Mana", especially their album "Suenos liquidos" (the n being an "egne"). Shakira PRIOR to her conversion to English is also fun.

Although not rock but "vallenato", excellent, is Carlos Vives, my favourite album being "Tierra del olvido".

Anyway, let me know if I can be of more help,

jc

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

ah I feared whiteoctave might like all those underground punk things. All the choirboys try to rebel the mass hymns with the heaviest stuff but not as far as rap because it's so nasty. Conversely I have not once in my life bought a cd by a white person.
Rap, R&B, Urban suggestion need not reply
:cry: That's a bit racist

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Episcopus wrote:ah I feared whiteoctave might like all those underground punk things. All the choirboys try to rebel the mass hymns with the heaviest stuff but not as far as rap because it's so nasty. Conversely I have not once in my life bought a cd by a white person.
Rap, R&B, Urban suggestion need not reply
:cry: That's a bit racist
No it's not. First off - don't change my quote. I said:
Rap, R&B, Urban and Country suggestion need not reply
So I don't like listening Rap, R&B, and Urban. Big deal.

I do have this CD by the Brand New Heavies which is mostly rap - it's excellent http://www.textkit.com/0_B00005A09H.html
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Sorry I just thought country might weaken my already ridiculous point :o

Nice avatar, what is it about though ?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Episcopus wrote:Sorry I just thought country might weaken my already ridiculous point :o

that's my 18 month old son, Nathan.
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

If your baby were ugly you know I'd be honest about it :lol: But that's a lovely baby jeff, I didn't know you had it in ye :wink:

I think I should post a picture of my newborn daughter to continue the tradition of proud parent avatars. :P

mbdittmar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mbdittmar »

Give Bebel Gilberto a listen. Her new CD is top-notch.

elisa
Textkit Neophyte

The only post here I can really relate to is

Post by elisa »

The only post here I can really relate to is the one by Lupus Minimus about the various Latin music groups. I too liked Shakira before she went English. I don't care much for Mana and the others but at least I've heard of them! The only group I've heard of in all the other posts is Evanescence which I do like.

I've listened to very little music in English the last ten years. I was a big fan of hard rock and progressive rock back from the late 70's through the very early 90's, but then something happened. The group that began the destruction of it all shall remain nameless. And rock pretty much ceased to exist in the form I knew and enjoyed it. Not only did the music start sounding really ugly, but the musicians seemed to start going out of their way to look as ugly as possible. The only rock stations in our area either vanished at that time or started playing rock oldies from the 60's-80's. The bands I liked that had always played in arenas were suddenly only able to fill clubs. Bizarre. Anyway, the last ten years I've listened to mostly Latin and Israeli music. Luis Miguel is my favorite in the Musica Latina genre and Eyal Golan my favorite from Israel.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

cweb255 wrote:i don't think I could listen to Daft Punk just one more time... ;) like Prodigy?
haha! that's a song you'll either love or hate. Me, i like repetition in tunes, so for me 5 minutes of Daft Punk singing 'one more time' is rather cool. Digital Love is better.
Textkit Founder

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Three Words....Miles Dewey Davis! He's got it all. If you like classical every now and then, you really owe it to yourself to give Miles a chance. I would recommend "Kind of Blue", it's one of his best albums. The thing that is so great about Miles is that depending on what era Miles you listen to, you get a completely different genre of music. He constantly reinvented himself. He is truly IMHO the greatest American Musician to ever live.

If that doesn't work try Helmet, Bad Brains, Henry Rollins (saw him last summer, he rocked), Bad Religion, and the classics....DK, Black Flag, Wurm, Poison Idea, etc.

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

At the moment...I've been playing a lot of music, but the one that that stands out is JS Bach's Prelude in C major, because I have to play that for school (in a duet with a volunteer singer, hopefully) in Ave Maria, an arrangement by Gounod. So I've been listening to myself (or to my keyboard???) for most of the time.

In my player at the moment: a lot of Handel... a selection of Handel on the Deutsche Grammophon label: the Water Music(k) and Music(k) for the Royal Fireworks (Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert). Quite enjoyable, although the Air from the first suite is a little too fast for my liking. Sometimes the horn is overpowered by the strings in the Water Music(k) suite. The Fireworks Music(k) is also a little inbalanced (but that was probably the demand of King George), and sometimes the sicilianas are too slow, but nothing bad at all.

I do like the Harp Concerto on the 2nd CD. I hadn't previously heard this, but it is quite a delicate and tuneful piece. The relaxing side of Handel...

cicerosum
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cicerosum »

[quote="Kopio"]Three Words....Miles Dewey Davis! [quote]Amen.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I'll check out Davis for tomorrow. Right now it's Hybrid. It's in German I think so I don't know what they're saying.. but it's cool..
Textkit Founder

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

jeff wrote:
Episcopus wrote:Sorry I just thought country might weaken my already ridiculous point :o

that's my 18 month old son, Nathan.
Nice looking boy jeff. He has your nose.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Cute kid!
Bert wrote:Nice looking boy jeff. He has your nose.
I've never seen Jeff's nose :(
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

benissimus wrote:Cute kid!
Bert wrote:Nice looking boy jeff. He has your nose.
I've never seen Jeff's nose :(
I am curious. What does he look like? Actually, it would be nice if ALL the moderators -- including benissimus -- would show a photo of themselves, preferably clothed. :)
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yeah jeff's boy is cool let's be fair. I just did not get that "Natester" thing. That can't be his name can it? But we do have names like Aradix, Makaria and Steven at textkit so anything's possible. I think if jeff likes spanish he should call his next son, only son because girls don't tend to be thus, "holgazan", because it's a great word :)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Episcopus wrote: I just did not get that "Natester" thing.
That must be an American thing. Where did that come from.. anyone?? I think Saturday Night Live did that in one of their skits.

Just had 'ster' onto your name. The Jeffster, The Willster, etc.
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I am curious. What does he look like? Actually, it would be nice if ALL the moderators -- including benissimus -- would show a photo of themselves, preferably clothed.
Is there some reason you had to mention me in particular? :roll: It would be hard for me to keep up my image of the grumpy, aged Latin scholar if people knew my true form. I do however have a picture of Episcopus which I will send to you in private

hahaha, you know there was fright episcopui!

That -ster ending always amuses me, in that it is in origin a feminine suffix (now replaced by by the ending -(str)ess mostly).

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Aha! My bad jeff although American I should have recognised it :? Here if it's of any interest if your son's name is "Nate" his new welsh name would be "natey [like]". chewit is irregular :P hmm...perhaps you didn't want to hear that.

Why did you decline episcopus 4th declension you fool steven! I gave you one picture about a year ago which now looks little like me. For I have grown and have considerable muscle, for a white person anyway who does not go to the gym.

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

benissimus wrote:
I am curious. What does he look like? Actually, it would be nice if ALL the moderators -- including benissimus -- would show a photo of themselves, preferably clothed.
Is there some reason you had to mention me in particular? :roll:
I just want to see if your mug is on the FBI's most wanted list. That's all. :)
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Bert wrote:Nice looking boy jeff.
Huh.

I just noticed that Jeff seems to coordinate Nathan's clothing to the Textkit color scheme.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Oh my God you're right! haha that is cool. He is looking evil today jeff! Did he not like the broccoli?

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Jeffster, jefframa, jeffrey, jeffff.

Definitely a Sat. Night Live reference. However, most of the SNL material is so completely lifted its a joke in itself, NOT.

Someday we'll learn how to spell Geoff, Geoffster, Geofframa. Geofffff, Geoffarelli...