Salvete!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Ioanna
Textkit Neophyte

Salvete!

Post by Ioanna »

Hi.

I found the site this evening through a link while searching for Latin texts. It looks like a really great site!

I'm a university student from Australia, studying first year Classics and Ancient History. My other interests include folk music, reading and writing, literature (both English and ancient, although I don't yet know much of the latter), and craft. I'm studying Latin at the moment and hope to pick up classical Greek next year.

I don't know what else to say, so I guess I'll leave it at that. :wink:

Yours,

Ioanna

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Salve, Iohanna. Mihi te hoc habere placet.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Welcome Ioanna,

I've always thought this site needed an increase in its Australian content. :wink:

How’re the Latin lectures? (For some reason, I get the image of an uninterested guy droning out the conjugations for fifty minutes.)

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

'Ey Mate! Les lern dem con-ju-gashuns! Crickey!

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Welcome!

Yes, do try to study Greek next year. You will forever be enchanted by its beauty.

All the best,

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

Funny, cweb!

Salve, Ionna!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Welcome to Textkit, Ionna. Glad to have you around!

It's an invaluable resource for studying Latin and Greek; I'm studying Latin right now (and the Greek alphabet), and hoping that someday I can master both languages. I also love reading and writing (I'm a writer by profession), and literature. I don't know about folk music; there's so much that falls under that heading, some of which I love, some of which I hate. I've heard the Brothers Four described as folk singers, and I love them; but every country has its folk music, some I love, some I don't.

Any particular kind of folk music?

Ioanna
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ioanna »

Eureka wrote:Welcome Ioanna,

I've always thought this site needed an increase in its Australian content. :wink:

How’re the Latin lectures? (For some reason, I get the image of an uninterested guy droning out the conjugations for fifty minutes.)
Actually, they're really good. Our classes are fairly small, and the lecturer is very passionate about Latin, which rubs off on us.
Keesa wrote:Welcome to Textkit, Ionna. Glad to have you around!

It's an invaluable resource for studying Latin and Greek; I'm studying Latin right now (and the Greek alphabet), and hoping that someday I can master both languages. I also love reading and writing (I'm a writer by profession), and literature. I don't know about folk music; there's so much that falls under that heading, some of which I love, some of which I hate. I've heard the Brothers Four described as folk singers, and I love them; but every country has its folk music, some I love, some I don't.

Any particular kind of folk music?
Mostly that from the British Isles, Canada, and Australia. I'm a tin whistle and flute player. :)

Thank you for the warm welcome!

:) Ioanna

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Ioanna wrote:
Mostly that from the British Isles, Canada, and Australia. I'm a tin whistle and flute player. :)

Thank you for the warm welcome!

:) Ioanna
Cool! I love the tin whistle and flute! I can't really say that I've heard Canadian or Australian folk music...maybe some Australian, but I wouldn't count on it...but I love British folk! (Does that include Irish? I love that, too. :wink: )

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Ioanna wrote:Mostly that from the British Isles, Canada, and Australia. I'm a tin whistle and flute player.
The engineering keyed marvel of the Boehm flute, or the wooden, keyless variety? I stick with the wooden ones - and, of course, countless tin whistles in many keys. The smallest can stun small animals and makes children cry.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Ioanna
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ioanna »

Alas, I can only play the many-keyed version, but I love the wooden ones.

And yes, Irish is very much included in my folk loves.

:)

Ioanna