Scholia in Iliadem 2.625.1-8 (ed. Heyne)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
njmolinari
Textkit Member

Post by njmolinari »

Hello Friends,

This is a fun one about migrants from Doulichion--or at least I think it is:

Ἀχ 392. Here we have a brief note describing the Doulichioi.

Δου-
λιχίοιο. Δουλιχίου. Ἔστι δὲ νῆσος πρὸ
τῆς Κεφαλληνίας. Οἱ δ’ ἐκ Δουλιχίου,
φησὶ, καὶ τῶν λοιπῶν ἱερῶν Ἐχινάδων
νήσων. Αἱ δὲ Ἐχινάδες, νῆσοί εἰσι τῆς
Ἀκαρνανίας παρὰ ταῖς ἐκβολαῖς τοῦ
Ἀχελῴου ποταμοῦ, ἐν αἷς οἱ κατοικοῦντες
καλοῦνται Ἐπειοί.

Molinari:

Doulichioio. Of Doulichion. This is an island in front of Kephallenia. It is said that those from Doulichion remained on the sacred islands of the Echinades. And the Echinades are islands of Akarnania along the estuaries of the Achelous River; those who dwell there are called Epeans.

Themata: Geography; Location: Aetolia/Akarnania

Any help is much appreciated!

Particilarly troublesome was λοιπῶν.

Nick
Vivat Achelous!

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Scholia in Iliadem 2.625.1-8 (ed. Heyne)

Post by mwh »

Οἱ δ’ ἐκ Δουλιχίου is a quotation-paraphrase of the Iliadic passage. φησὶ is not It is said but he (Hom.) says. τῶν λοιπῶν means the rest.

If Joel has abandoned you you are in even deeper trouble my friend. You have exhausted the help I am willing to give you.

MattK
Textkit Member

Post by MattK »

As mwh says, this is a scholion on a section of the Iliad, and I think you really should read the lines from Homer before attempting to understand the text here (the same applies to the Lycophron scholion you posted the other day).

If you want help with your translation, I think you might have more luck if you explain the reasoning behind your choices, as then maybe it will be more obvious how others can help you. I'm not convinced that just offering corrections is going to aid in improving your understanding of Greek, which would be my motivation for helping.

Of course, if Joel or anyone else wishes to offer their own translations then I'm sure you'll find them very useful for your project.

MattK
Textkit Member

Post by MattK »

By the way, if anyone is interested in getting into using scholia, lexicographers, grammarians etc I'd highly recommend Eleanor Dickey's book Ancient Greek Scholarship... It was a massive help to me when I couldn't tell my Harpocration from my Hesychius.

njmolinari
Textkit Member

Post by njmolinari »

Thanks, Matt. I did read the section of the Iliad and know it is a scholium. I will try and be more clear about my rationale—though for this one I naively thought I was very close, and any mistake would be quite obvious to fluent readers.
Vivat Achelous!

njmolinari
Textkit Member

Post by njmolinari »

mwh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:51 pm Οἱ δ’ ἐκ Δουλιχίου is a quotation-paraphrase of the Iliadic passage. φησὶ is not It is said but he (Hom.) says. τῶν λοιπῶν means the rest.

If Joel has abandoned you you are in even deeper trouble my friend. You have exhausted the help I am willing to give you.
Thank you—because Δουλιχίου was spelled differently in Homer I didn’t think it was a quote, but now I should be able to rephrase.
Vivat Achelous!

njmolinari
Textkit Member

Post by njmolinari »

Revision:

Doulichioio: of/from Doulichion. This is an island in front of Kephallenia. "And those from Doulichion," he [Homer] says, and the rest of the sacred islands of the Echinades. And the Echinades are islands of Akarnania along the estuaries of the Achelous River; those who dwell there are called Epeans.
Vivat Achelous!