Is a scholarly work like this for Latin literature?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Is a scholarly work like this for Latin literature?

Post by hlawson38 »

I would like to see a chart showing extant Latin works, according to their dates, as well as known works which have not survived. The chart should be accompanied by a scholarly text commenting on what the chart shows.

It would be interesting to see what the calling/profession of authorship was like and what were the social conditions of patronage.

I have no idea under what conditions the authors I read produced these literary works, and I don't know how literary production varied over time, and what caused the variation--so far as these things can be discovered.

Can anybody suggest books on these topics?
Hugh Lawson

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Is a scholarly work like this for Latin literature?

Post by mwh »

There are gaps, needless to say, but we are pretty well off for Latin literature. I can’t offer you a chart but historical contextualization does help make it more meaningful. A book with a good and stimulating treatment is by G.B. Conte (revised ed. 1994).

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Connected to this is the transmission of classical literature. I recommend scribes and scholars by Reynolds and Wilson. It is a lively account of the various hurdles ancient literature passed through to survive to our own time.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Many thanks to Seneca and Michael. I'm sure the suggested works will lead me to others.

Here's a nice survey by James J. O'Donnell on the books Augustine knew.
https://faculty.georgetown.edu/jod/texts/augread.html
Hugh Lawson

Herodotean
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Herodotean »

Fantham's Roman Literary Culture will help answer some of those questions.