Translation and Errors in D'Ooge's Lesson LXVIII

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Translation and Errors in D'Ooge's Lesson LXVIII

Post by Propertius »

Exercises on pg. 168 of the workbook; answers on pg. 31 of the answer key.

388.I.1.
He becomes, he will become, so that he may become, we were becoming. 2. I am becoming, you will become (sing.), so that they would become, to become, they become. 3. You will become (pl.), so that we may become, you become (sing.), we will become. 4. The soldiers were so late that they did not arrive to the camp before night. 5. The sun makes all things to be beautiful. 6. The dangers were of such kind that no one wanted to set out. 7. The enemy’s cavalry fought with our cavalry in the march, with such a result however that our men were superior in all parts. 8. The courage of our soldiers caused the enemy to hold back not even one attack. 9. The people were so bold that in no way could they be restrained. 10. The space was so small that the soldiers couldn’t easily throw their spears. 11. This battle having been done, the barbarians were so terrified that ambassadors were sent to Caesar from the furthest tribes. 12. This battle was done so that ambassadors were not sent to Caesar.

I wasn't too sure what contenderunt translated to in I.7: whether fought or hurried. I just went with fought. Let me know which works best.

II.
6. Munitio tam valida facta est ut capi non posset.
7. Munitio valida facta est ne capi posset.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Translation and Errors in D'Ooge's Lesson LXVIII

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:32 am

388.I.1.
He is made, he will be made, that he may be made, we were being made. 2. I am being made, you will be made (sing.), that they might be made, to be made, they are made. 3. You will be made pl.), that we may be made, you are made (sing.), we will be made. 4. The soldiers were so late that they did not arrive at the camp before night. 5. The sun makes all things to be beautiful. 6. The dangers were of such kind that no one wanted to set out. 7. The enemy’s cavalry fought with our cavalry in the march, with such a result however that our men were superior in all parts. 8. The courage of our soldiers caused the enemy to hold back not even one attack. 9. The people were so bold that in no way could they be restrained. 10. The space was so small that the soldiers could not easily throw their spears. 11. This battle having been done, the barbarians were so terrified that ambassadors were sent to Caesar from the furthest tribes. 12. This battle was done so that ambassadors might not be sent to Caesar.

II 1. Id fīet, fīēbant, ut id fīat. 2. Id fit, fīet, fierī. 3. fīunt, fīebāmus, nē id fīat. 4. Mīlitēs tam fortēs sunt ut vincant. 5. Mīlitēs fortēs sunt ut vincant. 6. Mūnītiō tam valida (firma) facta est ut capī nōn posset. 7. Mūnītiō valida (firma) facta est nē capī posset. 8. Oppidō captō (Urbe captā ), oppidānī timēbant nē servī fierent. 9. Quae cīvitās tam īnfirma est ut sēsē dēfendere nōlit?
Nothing wrong with become, but I prefer to translate fīō as I am made, as it is more likely to be used by the student who learns from D'Ooge (see 383).

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

bedwere wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:19 pm
Propertius wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:32 am

388.I.1.

II 1. Id fīet, fīēbant, ut id fīat. 2. Id fit, fīet, fierī. 3. fīunt, fīebāmus, nē id fīat. 4. Mīlitēs tam fortēs sunt ut vincant. 5. Mīlitēs fortēs sunt ut vincant. 6. Mūnītiō tam valida (firma) facta est ut capī nōn posset. 7. Mūnītiō valida (firma) facta est nē capī posset. 8. Oppidō captō (Urbe captā ), oppidānī timēbant nē servī fierent. 9. Quae cīvitās tam īnfirma est ut sēsē dēfendere nōlit?
Hello, I just wanted to know if I can translate number 6, number 8 and number 9 like this:

II.6. Mūnītiō tam valida (firma) facta est ut occuparī nōn posset.
8. Oppidō captō (Urbe captā ), oppidānī timuērunt nē servī fierent.
9. Quae res publica tam īnfirma est ut dēfendere nōlit?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

It seems OK to me.

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

Gratias agimus tibi.