another Acc abs 6., 1., 10

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

another Acc abs 6., 1., 10

Post by Constantinus Philo »

ὡς οὖν τὰ μὲν οἴκοι στρατείαν οὖσαν, τάδε δὲ ἑορτήν, ἐμοὶ μὲν οὐ δοκεῖ, ἔφη, διαλύειν τήνδε τὴν πανήγυριν.
I do not think to dissolve this assembly, the things at home being a military campaign, the things here being a holiday. Here, ὡς is causal meaning since. But did the Greeks differentiate the meanings or would they understand any os as "as.
Semper Fidelis

phalakros
Textkit Fan

Re: another Acc abs 6., 1., 10

Post by phalakros »

That was quick—yet another acc abs with ὡς + ptcp. Like ὡς, English “as” has various uses, one of them being a causal conjunction. As, since, seeing that, on the understanding that, on the grounds that…all workable English translations of ὡς here.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

He's been talking about the use of τὰ οἰκεῖα, which he was δαπανῶν, and τὰ τῶν πολεμίων, which he wants to πίνω. This is not the simple genitive absolute use, which would make it "the things at home being a military campaign", but rather there is a mentally implied action here on the accusative objects.

(In passing, note φρουρῶν present tense in the preceding sentence, as it had to be.)
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Post by Constantinus Philo »

frouron is a present participle here, right? Is anything unusual about it?
Semper Fidelis

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Nothing at all. That was the only point, given earlier threads: The present is exactly what you'd expect.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

That οὖσαν was bugging me too. After thinking about this a bit, I think I'll venture: as [I was consuming - ἐδαπάνων] the home things for the time a campaign was in existence, but [I carouse on - πίνω] these here [war-spoils - τῶν πολεμίων] while there is festival...

ὡς οὖν τὰ μὲν οἴκοι στρατείαν οὖσαν, τάδε δὲ ἑορτήν, ἐμοὶ μὲν οὐ δοκεῖ, ἔφη, διαλύειν τήνδε τὴν πανήγυριν

The way I've taken it, the στρατείαν οὖσαν and the ἑορτήν are both accusatives of extent, I guess. Maybe they'd be better as motive or something? I dunno. The τὰ οἴκοι and the τάδε, both continue as objects of the previous consumption verbs. It would fit the context nicely anyway.