BLD Ex111 PtII Pg47 Irreg Adjs

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
mariek
Global Moderator

BLD Ex111 PtII Pg47 Irreg Adjs

Post by mariek » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:18 pm

<br />I'm trying to get a grasp on these irregular adjectives. Are my translations to Latin correct?<br /><br /><br />#2 Some towns are great and others are small.<br /> Alia oppida magna, alia parva sunt.<br /> Alia oppida magna sunt, alia parva.<br />(oppida magna=NOM PL)<br /><br />I wasn't sure in which position sunt should be. However for the next question, I placed the verb at the end which felt like the right thing to do. (#3 One boy likes chickens, another horses -> Aliï puer gallïnäs, equös amat. (gallïnäs=ACC; equös=ACC) )<br /><br /><br />#5 Our whole village is suffering for lack of food.<br /> Noster tötus vïcus ïnfïrmus ïnopiä cibï est.<br />(inopia cibi=ABL)<br /><br />Is it correct to use the ABL here without any preposition? I think this falls under the Ablative of Cause which doesn't require a preposition.<br /><br /><br />#6 The people are already hastening to the other town.<br /> Populus iam ad aliud oppidum properat.<br />(ad aliud=ACC)<br /><br />Is it correct to use ad and the ACC with properat?<br /><br />I feel like I can't get a handle on which case to use with which prepositions.<br />Do a/ab, apud, cum, de, e/ex, and in take the ABL? ???<br />While ad takes the ACC? ???<br /><br /><br />#7 Among the Romans (there) is no lack of grain.<br /> Apud Romanï sunt nüllia inopia frumentï.<br /><br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:BLD Ex111 PtII Pg47 Irreg Adjs

Post by Episcopus » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:06 pm

#2.Some towns are great and others are small.<br /><br />Alia oppida magna, alia parva sunt<br /><br />#5. Our whole village is suffering for lack of food.<br /><br />Totus vicus noster est infirmus inopiã cibi. <br /><br />(for me 'totus vicus noster' sounds better and I *think* these special 9 adjectives usually appear first anyhow)<br /><br />Abl. denoting with : cause, manner, accompaniment, means. <br /> - , CUM , CUM , -<br />"cum" in manner may be left out if there be an adjective i.e<br /><br />Copiae Romani magnõ studiõ pugnãbant<br /><br /><br />#6. The people are already hastening to the other town. <br /><br />Iam populus ad alterum oppidum properat<br /><br />(I don't know whether this should be alter, a, um or alius, a, ud!)<br /><br />Sorry I just need practise aswell ;D so I'm probably wrong in few things
phpbb

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:21 pm

mariek wrote:<br /><br /><br /><br />#2 Some towns are great and others are small.<br /> Alia oppida magna, alia parva sunt.<br />
<br /><br />Great !<br /> <br />
<br />#5 Our whole village is suffering for lack of food.<br /> Noster tötus vïcus ïnfïrmus ïnopiä cibï est.<br />(inopia cibi=ABL)<br /><br />Is it correct to use the ABL here without any preposition? I think this falls under the Ablative of Cause which doesn't require a preposition.<br />
<br /><br />Right. Your Ablative of Cause is basically an Ablative of Means.<br /><br />
<br />#6 The people are already hastening to the other town.<br /> Populus iam ad aliud oppidum properat.<br />(ad aliud=ACC)<br /><br />Is it correct to use ad and the ACC with properat?
<br /><br />Yes<br /><br />
<br />I feel like I can't get a handle on which case to use with which prepositions.<br />Do a/ab, apud, cum, de, e/ex, and in take the ABL? ???<br />While ad takes the ACC? ???<br /><br /><br />AB + Abl.<br />CUM + Abl.<br />DE + Abl.<br />EX + Abl.<br /><br />APUD + Acc.<br />AD + Acc.<br /><br />IN + Abl. = in (situation)<br />IN + Acc. = into (motion into sth)<br /><br /><br />
<br />#7 Among the Romans (there) is no lack of grain.<br /> Apud Romanï sunt nüllia inopia frumentï.<br /><br />
<br /><br />I would say : Apud Romanos nulla est inopia frumenti<br /><br />Vale

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:56 pm

Apud Romanõs nulla est inopia frumenti <br /><br />=I forgot that was there :D <br /><br />Skylax, it sounds like perfect Latin but I can not figure out why...the nulla would go before the est although it sounds right Latin to me. <br /><br />rather than ...est nulla inopia frumenti<br />
phpbb

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:03 pm

Quote:<br />#6 The people are already hastening to the other town.<br /> Populus iam ad aliud oppidum properat.<br />(ad aliud=ACC)<br /><br />Is it correct to use ad and the ACC with properat?<br /><br />Think of alius as another (more than two) and alter as the other (of two). I'd use 'alter' here. <br />And I assumed they were hastening into town, so I used in + acc. But that might be a personal preference :)<br /><br />Ingrid
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:07 pm

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=321;start=0#2222 date=1059512592]<br />Quote:<br />#6 The people are already hastening to the other town.<br /> Populus iam ad aliud oppidum properat.<br />(ad aliud=ACC)<br /><br />Is it correct to use ad and the ACC with properat?<br /><br />Think of alius as another (more than two) and alter as the other (of two). I'd use 'alter' here. <br />And I assumed they were hastening into town, so I used in + acc. But that might be a personal preference :)<br /><br />Ingrid<br />[/quote]<br /><br />yay ;D
phpbb

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:10 pm

Maybe est nulla is simply more difficult to pronounce (the group "-stn-". The question of word order is a very difficult one. I am not sure we can still fully understand it today. The meanings of the scholars are sometimes changing. I am pretty well convinced that the last words of a clause are the most important, but aliud in ea re sentit alius...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:14 pm

Is that a 3rd declension noun?<br />what said-you??
phpbb

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:20 pm

"Chacun a sa petite idée".

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:37 pm

ah...je comprends maintenant - c'est pourquoi j'aime cette langue bien, on peut dire ce qu'on veut dire mais ça veut dire la même chose ;D
phpbb