Your school classes.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

L'ho gia fatto io per esser sicuro che potessi bene capire il Papa, per esempio :lol: Fa soltanto qualche mesi, quattro magari, che lo 'summa cum pigritia' imparo. cc. quando l'avrai imparato anche tu, potremmo forse vederci nel vaticano. Io sarai quel ragazzo con la testa triangulare (il quale portano tutti i vescovi li)

Mongoose42
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mongoose42 »

I am very happy to see so many scientists on this site.
There must be a conection between language and science.

As for school classes:
h.s senior:
College English
Calculus
Chemistry independant research :D
Choir
AP History

And a computer Latin Course outside of school for credit

In the US, every now and then a politician tries to get free Universities for everyone, but he usually gets laughed out of office before anything is accomplished.

shanth.phy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by shanth.phy »

Last edited by shanth.phy on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fair Terentia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fair Terentia »

I'm about to start Year 13 (September 3rd) in England. That is the final year for secondary school pupils, aged 17-18.

I'm taking A Levels in

Latin
Ancient Greek
French
Music

Extracurricularly, I'll be leading the school orchestra, singing in 2 school choirs and possibly running a Latin club. Not sure.

I'll be applying to university this year, hoping for a Classics degree at Oxford. If I don't get into Oxford, though, I intend to try to do a SOCRATES/ERASMUS scene to France or Italy.

It is possible to learn a language in less than a year. When I lived in Venice I picked up Italian, while going to an Italian school in about seven months (admittedly, I was 10 and it's easier to learn languages as a child) but I think at university level it is more risky, because you'd have to be pretty proficient at the language before you start the course, I'd have thought, to get the most out of it.

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

what college(s) are you contemplating, FT?

~D

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Do you go to King's School FT? I haven't heard of many choirboy schools up there but that one.

Ye have no idea how much I wish to have gone to an Italian school at 10.

School starts here on 3rd september but I'm good, I have better things to do.
Even if they offered Ancient Greek and Latin I would not go because it would be terrible. epebebouleukesan indeed.

OI where are the manly subjects like PHYSICS MATHS Music is for pansieeeeeees! French is also for pansies. German or Russian get in there like.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

You think math is manly?? :P

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

What hard man is there who have not manipulated a trigonometrical ratio graph? I have and did it correctly.

Fair Terentia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fair Terentia »

I go to Withington Girls' School. Manchester.

Music is not for pansies, I beg to disagree. It is a very challenging multi-disciplinary subject.

And Latin and Greek at school are very interesting.

As for colleges, I'm 99% sure I'm going to apply to Magdalen.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Episcopus wrote:…epebebouleukesan indeed.
Hey! That’s my favourite word! (And technically it’s “epebebuleukesan”.)
classicalclarinet wrote:You think math is manly?? :P
Math(s) is so manly that weak men run screaming from it like little girls from a lion that’s just wandered down from the mountains, and as peasants with their hounds chase the lion from their stockyard, and watch by night to prevent his carrying off the pick of their herd he makes his greedy spring, but in vain, for the darts from many a strong hand fall thick around him, with burning brands that scare him for all his fury, and when morning comes he slinks foiled and angry away… :wink:

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Amo musicam!!!

Handling even the most delicate of harps can give you calluses! The skill required to co-ordinate your hands on the keyboard is strong, and to do that fortissimo (on the piano), chords in both hands, both showered with double-flats and sharps, in dense counterpoint, having your thumb pulled away from your index finger, ornaments everywhere, trying to all your passion show, and yet still trying to make out what each chord is, what the next few bars will bring, continuing to read on and doing so with grace... is that not the sign of a brave person???

Have you heard Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto? Even in works without fortissimi, such as Bach's Goldberg Variations, what about the battering chords through the 29th variation?
Episcopus wrote:Music is for pansieeeeeees!
Honestly... how can one say such a thing?

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

Tu dicis vero, Michaelye!!!!

Tell a brass player that music's pansy and I'll see what happens!

8)

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Michaelyus wrote:
It seems most people take the bishop far too seriously.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Eureka wrote:
Michaelyus wrote:
It seems most people take the bishop far too seriously.
the key to understanding our bishop is to remember that the more shocking it sounds, the more likely it is that he is being facetious. so don't take it too seriously, but do enjoy the wonderful way he expresses himself. :)

(we do love you, episcope!)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

:cry: I love your disturbing foot picture too

Are we talking about 'they had plotted against' ...I am sure it was epebebouleukesan oh well it's my favourite word whether it be an upsilon there or not. It is insane.

Sorry if I offended ye music pansies I was only joking :lol: Latin students are losers too. In fact any one who studies is not much of a winner.

I would also love to go to a girls' school. What boy apart from Steven does not?

Where is Magdalen? What is it? It sounds like a nun cum Florence Nightingale institution. Is that a girls' college :shock: To live and die in Magdalen :arrow:

Yesterday I was throwing all the sheets of history away from my room, 2 years of it, they were only a few sheets. Anyway one of them was a past test and I looked at it, bearing in mind I had the top grade for it, I could not get 10% again. I don't even remember when I knew more than 10% of it. I just hated it so much I could not help but forget it all. I would say it's a lot of work down the drain but there was no work in the first place. That's the mystery. I am sure they made some mistake. ah well. I am not studying History ever again. Who in their right mind can do that. It's like sooooo boring like.

In these parts if ye be carrying a violin or a £400 flute you get jacked and all your music sheets thrown on the floor. I did that once to a boy by accident. haha I said can I look at your flute and he went 'noooo!' and it was already fallen on the floor. Sorry 2000 about that.

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

Magdalen is a mixed Oxford college, near, well, magdalen bridge, and it stands for an impressive distance on the cherwell. it has a very nice cloistered quad, Gibbon, Wilde and Schrodinger went there, and the classicists A D Godley, G Smith and R Palmer have been fellows there. what else? oh yeah, Proffessor Taplin's the current DoS, and he's a bit of a lej. men at magd. are much on the prowl, as perhaps confirmed by http://romance.al.cl.cam.ac.uk/ox/league.php .
academically, it comes generally around 4th in the ox table, which is good, and my bro (at queen's) informs me its 'as keen on sport as he is', which is saying something. it has quite a good social rep over all.

anyhow, enough of magdalen and oxons.

as for crazy greek verbs, you can form the following monsters from extant verbs (by analogy, for they don't have attested forms in the (plu)perfect):

[size=150]ἵππον ἐμοὶ συμπαρακατεκεκλίκεσαν[/size] would mean "they had made the horse lie down next to me". the verb is used by good ol' Dio Cassius.

the euphonic [size=150]ἔμοὶ παραπερεπεπατήκεσαν [/size] would mean "they had walked beside me" and is found somewhere in koine.

[size=150]τῶν κατακαγχαζόντων κατακεκοττίκασιν [/size]would mean "they have squirted wine at those who were laughing out loud"; the verb is used by 'stoph.

sed manum de tabula!

~D
Last edited by whiteoctave on Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

:shock: That's almost as long as the crazy german word I wrote in my english exam :shock:

Magdalen :shock: Let's not go thither then, but one understands wherefore goes Faire Terentia.

So what's this a family tradition of elite schools? Faire play. Still, there's something unique about a lack of education. I quite like it, but it hurts when one tries to pretend otherwise. So I give up.

er...whiteoctave you nut...did you just spell 'legend' "lej"?!!!. uuuhhhhh you are off it son. Calm down. Calm it. Yeah I do agree about the Tpg. in the DoS. @ Magd. Clg. CF4 45346G will he be always at Oxon. magd. dpl. state schl? See I am not sure about my UCAS frm my bro isn't either should I go for Schrodinger or Schniedspuffywuffyschmiffschmoff an modo ad Christi Corpus?

thx.

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Klewlis wrote:the key to understanding our bishop is to remember that the more shocking it sounds, the more likely it is that he is being facetious. so don't take it too seriously, but do enjoy the wonderful way he expresses himself. :)
On Klewlis' principle, both of these shocking (and insolent) replies by Episcopus are extremely facetious.

I do hope so.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Episcopus wrote:Are we talking about 'they had plotted against' ...I am sure it was epebebouleukesan oh well it's my favourite word whether it be an upsilon there or not. It is insane.
The thing is ου --> u,

So ἐπεβεβουλεύκεσαν --> epebebuleukesan.

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

I'm probably applying to Christ Church...

which is prettier than Magdalen by a mile!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

:lol: you're picking the 'prettiest' one?

:wink:

Hmm... this UCAS form is really driving me nuts... lol, but luckily I was able to find someone on a SimCity chat, who's mother is a teacher in the UK, and he told me I don't need to put down which are my first and second choices and so on... I can just wait until I get my offers and then choose :D . That problem was giving me a head-ache... I had no idea what to do... :P
In the US, every now and then a politician tries to get free Universities for everyone, but he usually gets laughed out of office before anything is accomplished.
I suppose the politicians are all rich then... don't the student unions protest? Uh... do you have student unions or an equivalent in the US?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Emma_85 wrote:
I suppose the politicians are all rich then... don't the student unions protest? Uh... do you have student unions or an equivalent in the US?
Certainly not! Unions are communistic! And treasonous! And pro-terrrism!

*cough* Sorry.

I've exaggerated a bit. Those graduate students upon whom falls most of the burden of teaching the very beginning classes tend to be much better organized, and for good reason. Not surprisingly, they tend to be preoccupied with their own concerns, not students in general.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

For me a place with beautiful scenery and obviously some girls like ornaments to complement the location is far more important than the quality of education.

Thucy I would laugh if you were rejected because you're obviously going to get in. :twisted:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Lol, ok I get the picture :lol: . The student unions here aren't really political, but they are capable of organising themselves: "...The next general election provides an opportunity to get education to the top of the political agenda by demonstrating the power of the student vote. NUS' education manifesto will make education the number one factor in student voting choice. " NUS (National Union of Students) is for all the students in the country and each university has it's own union too. (visit http://www.nus.org.uk/ or http://www.studentzone.org.uk/bods/unions.html if your interested in seeing what they are like :wink: ).
But the student union's most important functions remain to provide and organise sports clubs, societies, bars, nightclubs, shops, cafes and even Gyms so that students can survive on a low budget (everything in the bars and shops and cafes is cheap for union members).

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Emma_85 wrote:But the student union's most important functions remain to provide and organise sports clubs, societies, bars, nightclubs, shops, cafes and even Gyms so that students can survive on a low budget (everything in the bars and shops and cafes is cheap for union members).
Ah. Larger universities do have these, and they're still called unions, but there's no whiff of politics or organization other than that required to bring in a band.

Suddenly I wonder about the history of these.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hmm... the political wing of the US student unions seem to have gone out of favour ... (probably some bloody right-wings made people think that unions were commie and treasonous and pro-terrorism :evil: ).
Those tuitions fees are a bit rediculous though, I think the students need some left-wing propaganda to get them politically active to fight for lower fees. :idea:

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Emma_85 wrote:

:lol: you're picking the 'prettiest' one?
No, no, no... well, not really. It's a bonus. But it's also rich, big, good for Classics, friendly, has its own Cathedral, has Christ Church meadow nearby...

Pretty is the wrong word actually. Grand is more like it.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

sounds great, I hope you'll be accepted (I'm sure you will be :) ), make sure to send off your applications by the 15th of October :P .
I think uni application this year will be horror, not only because of the rise in fees next year, but also EU enlargment will mean even more applications from the new EU states on top of it all. I wonder if this will have any effect classics at all though :roll: .

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

But if you apply for deferred entry this year you won't have to pay top up fees even if you enter a year late. What/Where are you hoping to do Emma?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Yes, I know. They quickly had to make that possible when they realised so many would just not do a gap-year otherwise.
I'm hoping to study Physics or Theoretical Physics (does that make me manly Episcopus :? ?) :wink: .

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

It might do Emma if you are in reality a hairy german girl called Hänchen.

If I ever went to university I would probably want to study some type of Physics (something that would aid one in inventing a portable plasma gun) and Latin. Can you do the two like? I would do Greek too but at an advanced level you pretty much pick it up with the physics :o

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Student unions couldn’t be much more political here. In fact, most politicians start off as student union leaders.
annis wrote:Certainly not! Unions are communistic! And treasonous! And pro-terrrism!
I thought it was just called terror now.
Episcopus wrote:I would do Greek too but at an advanced level you pretty much pick it up with the physics :o
Nein, most physics ist in German, you eigenbishop!

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

annis wrote:
Emma_85 wrote:I suppose the politicians are all rich then... don't the student unions protest? Uh... do you have student unions or an equivalent in the US?
Certainly not! Unions are communistic! And treasonous! And pro-terrrism!

*cough* Sorry.

I've exaggerated a bit. Those graduate students upon whom falls most of the burden of teaching the very beginning classes tend to be much better organized, and for good reason. Not surprisingly, they tend to be preoccupied with their own concerns, not students in general.
At U.S. high schools and colleges there is usually an organization called "student council," which is run by students who are elected by the student body. We don't ordinarily think of this as affiliated or connected with labor unions. We think of it more as government-with-training-wheels. We call it "student government," although they don't do any real governing.

Emma_85 wrote:But the student union's most important functions remain to provide and organise sports clubs, societies, bars, nightclubs, shops, cafes and even Gyms so that students can survive on a low budget (everything in the bars and shops and cafes is cheap for union members).
Yep, that's what student councils do. Some student councils have little or no budget, which means they have very little influence.

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Eureka wrote:Nein, most physics ist in German, you eigenbishop!
Was ist die Etymologie des "Quarkes"?

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Michaelyus wrote:
Eureka wrote:Nein, most physics ist in German, you eigenbishop!
Was ist die Etymologie des "Quarkes"?
Irish...from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake

Ingrid

Philomela
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Philomela »

I'm starting tomorrow :(

I will be in my 2nd year of A Levels
i;m doing

Latin
Chemistry
Biology
Sign language

and must fit in some voluntary work at the hospital! i have to prepare for filling out my UCAS form soon, as well, unfortunatly!

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Philomela wrote:I will be in my 2nd year of A Levels
Another Brit? Good good.

My A2s are:
Latin
Greek
Ancient History
German

maybe GCSE Hebrew this year as well if I can find the time :)

Lucan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lucan »

My A2s are:
Latin
Greek
Ancient History
Not that you're going for a particular theme there Thucydides :lol:

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

well i could have done modern history instead of the ancient but the topics on offer were really really lame.

Philomela
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Philomela »

i find modern history boring, especially WW1 and 2...

ancient history has more layers and mystery...

oh, just got the first Athenaze book, gonna start on ancient greek, if possible...