Can Romance Language Speakers understand Latin?

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Can Romance Language Speakers understand Latin?

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Can Romance Language Speakers understand Latin?

Post by jeidsath »

What a watch! This is a tremendously fun video.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

will.dawe
Textkit Fan

Post by will.dawe »

It's the best video Luke ever made! I was laughing all the time.
Two verses he could recollect // Of the Æneid, but incorrect.

AmyOfRome
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AmyOfRome »

I enjoyed his video on this and the similar ones he's made!

It also reminds me of times I've posted in Latin on my Facebook, and people respond to me in Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. One once said, in reply to a post I made about gardening in Latin, "I thought you said you didn't know Spanish!" :lol:

On a sadder note, it also reminds me of the fact that, on the local county news site, people complain about the "big words" the journalists use, like "imbibe." Maybe I'm the jerk here, but I would point out that learning other languages also improves your vocabulary and reading comprehension in your native language, if both are Indo-European languages, anyway. My main thoughts were (1) dictionary sites! I use them every day, and (2) I appreciate my 6tf grade English teacher for his "word of the day" thing he did, then he'd quiz us on the new words every Friday. "Verbose" and "tintinnabulation" are two vocab words I still remember him giving us! :mrgreen: