using abhinc

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

using abhinc

Post by phil »

I'm confused about the correct way to say 'three days ago'. My Longmans' book says abhinc plus accusative. N&H also shows an example with abhinc followed by the accusative: 'three days ago - abhinc tres dies' but in the key to the exercises, the time is in the ablative: (36.9)'I saw my friend at Carthage three months ago - Tribus abhinc mensibus Carthagini meum amicum vidi'
Should the time be ablative or accusative?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: using abhinc

Post by benissimus »

phil wrote:I'm confused about the correct way to say 'three days ago'. My Longmans' book says abhinc plus accusative. N&H also shows an example with abhinc followed by the accusative: 'three days ago - abhinc tres dies' but in the key to the exercises, the time is in the ablative: (36.9)'I saw my friend at Carthage three months ago - Tribus abhinc mensibus Carthagini meum amicum vidi'
Should the time be ablative or accusative?
L&S says either accusative or ablative can be used. There appear to be more examples with the ablative though.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

abhinc takes the accusative typically, and almost always in Classical Latin, though occasionally the accusative is replaced by an ablative of difference, perhaps to emphasise the time span. i have seen sich a construction in Cicero's Pro Q. Roscio, and a completely different use of abhinc adverbially in Lucretius.

~D

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Thank you, I shall stick to the accusative when writing, but be on the lookout for ablatives in the wild.