Question about the D'Ooge Key

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
JuliusC
Textkit Neophyte

Question about the D'Ooge Key

Post by JuliusC »

Hello all,

I just started with the D'Ooge method this weekend, although I have previously (briefly) studied Latin with the French Assimil method.

I have two (very basic) questions garding the keys:

-In paragraph 22, page 13 of the book, exercise 6:

Rosam in comis habet.

The key says that the predicate is "in comis habet", yet as Rosam is the direct object, shouldn't the whole sentence be a predicate (and the subject is merely implied in the verb)?

-In paragraph 40, page 19, exercise 6:

Translate: Cuius filiae laborant

I thought Cuius is singular (as stated in the book p. 283). In that case shouldn't the reply to the question be Filiae agricolae laborant, instead of Filiae agricolarum laborant (as stated in the Key)?

Thanks

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Hi Julio,

Welcome to Textkit and welcome to the D'Ooge forum.

First a note about the key: it is the work of students of Latin, and it is not free of errors. In fact, I use all questions regarding the key that people ask here, to make it better (as I'm the one who is compiling it from the work of others and myself). Once it is complete (it isn't yet now), we will post the corrected version for downloading.

Then to your questions:

I think you're right, rosam is part of the predicate. I will change my working copy of the key to reflect this.

As to cuius: the interrogative pronoun is usually used in the singular, as you don't necessarily know in advance whether you are asking for one or more people. But obviously, Filiae agricolae laborant would also be a correct answer to the question.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your studies and keep posting your questions.

Ingrid