Calling the Canadian (He knows who he is)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Calling the Canadian (He knows who he is)

Post by Turpissimus »

PeterD, tell me something about yourself.

I require something to ridicule, after you so rudely abused me in Greek forum.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Take it outside.

:arrow:

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

I dare say, Turpissimus, while ad hominem attacks and agressive rhetorical behaviour are no strangers to discussing opposing points, nonetheless, it was not my intention when I replied to your post to ridicule or embarrass, but rather to inform you. My apologies if you felt otherwise. :)

While the less that is known about me the better :wink: , I shall say this: I am a good person at heart who enjoys very much the company of good people, loves to debate and has one hell of a mischievous side.

~PeterD (a.k.a. ἑκηβόλος)
Last edited by PeterD on Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Eureka wrote:Take it outside.

:arrow:
That's telling them!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

PeterD wrote:While the less that is known about me the better :wink: , I shall say this: I am a good person at heart who enjoys very much the company of good people, loves to debate and has one hell of a mischievous side.
I think several have missed Turpissumus' mischievous side, unless I have very badly misread his intentions.

So make something bad about yourself up, Mr. D, so he can write some blame poetry. :) (I don't know about the Romans, but there's reason to believe at least some Greek blame poetry was of this in-group, joking around variety.)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

annis wrote: So make something bad about yourself up, Mr. D, so he can write some blame poetry. :)
OK William of the shining corslet, moderator of the Learning Greek board...here goes:

Turpissimus,
  • I drink my OJ out of the carton;

I have long, wavy hair (καρηκομοῶν);

sometimes I don't shave (still look good, though);

although I don't cry over spilled milk, I do have a (Greek) temper;

I am a rebel with too many causes who is always getting into trouble;

and finally, I have broken too many hearts. :(

~Mr. D :)
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

annis wrote:I think several have missed Turpissumus' mischievous side, unless I have very badly misread his intentions.
Oh, I figured he was joking. But I was too.

(There isn't actually any "outside" for them to take it to.)

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

(I don't know about the Romans, but there's reason to believe at least some Greek blame poetry was of this in-group, joking around variety.)
Yes, Will, you're quite right. Catullus called his friends some quite offensive things. Cinaedus and pathicus were certainly used, and he described their activities too - pedicare and irrumare. I'm not sure about Martial but the words moechor and mentula certainly made more than one appearance. Mentula has the rather nice advantage that it forms a dactyl all on its own.

I believe, however, that I shall eschew the cruder forms of satire, believing the use of obscene language to be the province of teenagers, and instead restrict myself to ridiculing your hairstyle, Peter, and your need to overcompensate for your lack of success with women by telling us all about your imagined exploits.

And if you persist with this ridiculous false politeness, I shall become very angry indeed. So....Canadian.....

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Turpissimus wrote:And if you persist with this ridiculous false politeness, I shall become very angry indeed. So....Canadian.....
Turpissimus, you have sullied my fine reputation for the last time.

Pistols at ten paces?

En garde! :P

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

PeterD wrote: Pistols at ten paces?

En garde! :P
:arrow: Outside for sure now!

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

As long as you don't stand near the Greek books, it's alright. (We don't want to get blood on them.)

...Go stand next to the Latin books.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

:D :D :D

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Eureka wrote:...Go stand next to the Latin books.
Right. Greek books are too delicate.

Latin books are tough; they're sturdy; built to last. Thay already have lots of blood on them and they wear it well.

- Tim

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Turpissimus ridicule and mischievous behaviour do not belong in textkit. As a veteran here always trying to maintain peace with Eureka I must concur - please take your insults elsewhither. Plus Canadians are the best. I want to live in the mountains and hunt fish even though I vomit if one touches me.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Episcopus wrote:Turpissimus ridicule and mischievous behaviour do not belong in textkit.
um, this is all in good natured jest.

As I understand it, they're trying to work themselves up into a lather in order to write greek verse; they're trying to get motivated to write. To do so, they need topics and have take adversarial postions into order to frame the "battle" of verse.

OTOH, if you're going to add some greek verse, then I'm off base and step aside.

- Tim

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Plus Canadians are the best. I want to live in the mountains and hunt fish even though I vomit if one touches me.
Just don't move to Saskatchewan then...you'll find no mountains. ;)

Battle away guys!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

MDS wrote:
Plus Canadians are the best. I want to live in the mountains and hunt fish even though I vomit if one touches me.
Just don't move to Saskatchewan then...you'll find no mountains. ;)

Battle away guys!
Well there is always what I call "the pimple on the prairies"--ie, Blackstrap ski hill. It is a manmade hill that apparently people ski on. lol. It sticks out like a sore thumb because it is so little but pokes up above the prairies. Funny thing. You won't find any fish there (though it does descend into the Quapelle valley...).
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

As I understand it, they're trying to work themselves up into a lather in order to write greek verse;
Alas no. Propter egestatem meae linguae I shall not be versifying in Greek. I don't even understand the language, unfortunate as that is. And I know PeterD doesn't understand Latin, so it is unlikely that either of us will be able to appreciate the verses of the other.

In any event, given that several circumstances beyond my control have come to light, viz.

1) lack of dactyls in the Latin language
2) my own unfamiliarity with the rules relating to elision
3) difficulty with that really hard bit to get right at the end of the second half of the pentameter

...it appears that I will be unable to produce any meaningful verses unless given, let's say, a week.

In the meantime, it you want to take a look at my laughable effort so far, that can be found in the Elegy thread. It has not the technical skill of Benissimus' verse but I think there is more artistic unity to the piece, even if it is not something the Romans would compose verse about.

I'm off to read Propertius' Elegies, need some inspiration and I think Assisi's finest is the man to provide it.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Turpissimus wrote: Alas no. Propter egestatem meae linguae I shall not be versifying in Greek. I don't even understand the language, unfortunate as that is. And I know PeterD doesn't understand Latin, so it is unlikely that either of us will be able to appreciate the verses of the other.
OK, I'm stumped.

I have no idea then what you two were up to.

- Tim

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Episcopus,

My sincerest apologies for my inaccurate comments.

- Tim

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

I engaged PeterD in this "contest" simply because he seemed the easiest to ridicule. An important life lesson that every adult must at some point learn, is that those different from the rest of us must be constantly teased. Besides, I knew he was man enough to take any japes in good humour.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Turpissimus wrote:I engaged PeterD in this "contest" simply because he seemed the easiest to ridicule.
Huh???
Turpissimus wrote:An important life lesson that every adult must at some point learn, is that those different from the rest of us must be constantly teased.
What???

Wow. You really lost me here. I mean, way, way lost.

- tim

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

I wrote:An important life lesson that every adult must at some point learn, is that those different from the rest of us must be constantly teased.
Sarcasm. Sorry. On the internet it doesn't quite come across. I'm just kidding you. My teasing of PeterD has no important moral lesson behind it.
I wrote:easiest to ridicule etc.
PeterD has a high profile on these boards, and is often unfairly attacked for his actually-only-slightly-leftish opinions. I felt his larger-that-life personality would provide adequate substance for a mocking couplet. As to the question "Why mock anyone?", well, most elegiac couplets I've read are either romantic (Propertius) or satirical (Martial). Since I don't have a girlfriend, I suppose I'm stuck with satire. And that means the couplet has to have a target. Why not a man of good humour who can take the joke?

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Turpissimus wrote:I knew he was man enough to take any japes in good humour.
What's a 'jape'?

...And would I be able to pick one up from a hardware store for around $20?

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

That actually hurt.
It took me all night to get my head screwed on straight again.
There was actual surgery involved.
For the next six weeks I can't turn my head like that. (Ouch!)

sigh.

Shaw was right.

- Tim

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Timothy wrote:Episcopus,

- Tim
Yes so you should be Timothy. You should be banned from textkit Timothy.

As for the technical skill of benissimus in verse, bring it Stevie I would whoop you. I have been taught by D'Ooge remember.

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Turpissimus wrote:An important life lesson that every adult must at some point learn, is that those different from the rest of us must be constantly teased.
Something which I deride and refute and go against completely, on account of my various past references and experiences pertaining to various situations of which there are multiple viewpoints of which a small spectrum are acceptable to me, of which I hold, but other points of reference which are unacceptable to me but of which other people find "correct". Something which seems so dichotomous to me can be often insignificant to others. This, if anyone has noticed, is a direct generalisation of this topic; it applies to such a discussion.

Turpissimus wrote:Besides, I knew he was man enough to take any japes in good humour.
Definitely not me.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Episcopus wrote:
Timothy wrote:Episcopus,

- Tim
Yes so you should be Timothy. You should be banned from textkit Timothy.
I wasn't that sincere.

- Tim

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Should this topic renamed "Gradus ad Fescinna"?