Unit 21, Part II, Number 4

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Unit 21, Part II, Number 4

Post by Lukas »

I am supposed to write, "The old men said that the women must obey the laws, while the old women said that the men had proven themselves [use appropriate tense of γὶγομαι] responsible for terrible evils to the city."

The answer book wrote:

I wrote, "οἱ γέροντες ἔφασαν δεῖ τὰς γυναῖκας τοῖς νομοῖς πείθεσθαι, αἱ δὲ γραῦες ἔφασαν τοὺς ἄνδρες αἰτίους δεινῶν κακῶν τῆ πολεῖ γενέσθαι."

Three questions:
1. Why did the answer book place δεῖ in the infinitive? I thought that I was supposed to use an impersonal verb with the infinitive of the finite verb?

2. Do I need to place μέν in the first phrase?

3. I thought the word order generally placed the infinitive and then the finite verb toward the end, but the author has ἔφασαν at the end of the first phrase. I also do not know if the adjective at the end or the impersonal verb placement is just free Greek word order or if there are other reasons for it? I am OK if the word order is too beyond me for an answer.

Note: I placed my Greek in a larger font, because the normal font is kind of a strain to read.
Last edited by Lukas on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Λουκᾶς

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: Unit 21, Part II, Number 4

Post by seneca2008 »

The old men said that the women must obey the laws
This is indirect speech. What is the corresponding direct statement ? Which finite verb has to be written as an Infinitive when the direct speech is turned into indirect speech?
Do I need to place μέν in the first phrase?
The old men said ......, while the old women said ......

So μέν...... δὲ expresses this antithesis. Yes you do need it.

ἄνδρες Is either miscopied or wrong.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the word order. It’s much more important that you improve your understanding of how to turn direct speech into indirect speech.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Lukas »

seneca2008 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:15 am The old men said that the women must obey the laws.

This is indirect speech. What is the corresponding direct statement ? Which finite verb has to be written as an Infinitive when the direct speech is turned into indirect speech?
"δεῖ τὰς γυναῖκας τοῖς νομοῖς πείθεσθαι." ?
Λουκᾶς

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

So what is the finite verb which needs to be put into the infinitive?
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Lukas »

Not sure, as I already have a finite verb in the infinitive.
Λουκᾶς

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

An infinitive is not a finite form. So which word is the finite verb in your direct statement?

“ The infinitive, a nonfinite form of the verb (see Unit 5 Prelim.), is a verbal noun. As a verb form it has tense (or aspect) and voice and can govern noun complements and adverbial modifiers. As a noun, it can serve as subject, object, and the like. In English the infinitive (formed with to plus the verb) shares the job of verbal noun with the gerund (formed from the present stem of a verb plus -ing). In Greek there is only the infinitive to fulfill the verbal noun function.‘

P. 77 Mastronarde

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Lukas »

δεῖ
Λουκᾶς

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

So do you now understand what is going on in this sentence? It doesn't matter that δεῖ is impersonal.

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Lukas »

Got it.
Λουκᾶς

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

Think of it this way: in-finitive is not finite.
Bill Walderman