Salvete omnes! I'm new

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Salvete omnes! I'm new

Post by Aurelia »

Salvete omnes! nomen mihi Aurelia est et Latinam amo!

Sorry if my Latin isn't perfect, me paenitet, I'm still in the process of fully learning it.

A little about me: I'm 16 and I'm going to be a Junior in High School and going into my 3rd year of Latin next year. The books we use in class are the Oxford Latin Course books (anyone use them?)...I'm going to take Ancient Greek at the University. I'm a little bit nervous but I'm excited.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salve, Aurelia!

I envy your having learned Latin in high school! I couldn't take my first class before my Freshman Fall semester of college a year ago, and that teacher was terrible! I couldn't bare another semester of her in Latin II; but she didn't teach anyway, so I have continued teaching myself regardless. My Latin is in great need of polishing and finer instruction, but the good folks here at Textkit have been more than generous with their time and assistance; I owe to them what I know now of Latin.

I'm definitely more of a discipulus than a doctor, but I'd be happy to help if you have a particular question you think I might be able to answer -- though I don't know what; I'd be better solving an Italian, French, or German problem, if you have one. Still, pretty much everyone here at Textkit is more than willing to assist.

Anyway, gratissima hic es, et vale!
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

optime! I'm glad you chose to keep learning Latin, it's such a beautiful language! Sometimes I accidentally say thing in Latin that I meant to say in English, lol. I speak it to my mom and she freaks out saying "don't you speak those dirty works to me!" then she speaks German to me.

I tried to learn a little bit of Italian but I didn't have the time to take on another language. Oh well, at least I know how to order a cappucino in Italian now. :wink:

I'm so glad I found this forum, I've been looking for something like this for a long time! :D

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I'm so glad I found this forum, I've been looking for something like this for a long time!
And so had I when I arrived here! Don't shy away from Italian, though, or German for that matter; both will be an extraordinary breeze after three years of Latin. Besides, speaking such vernaculars opens up your opportunities for communication enormously.

Don't worry 'bout French, though; it's not important. *winks at Keesa and Raya devilishly*

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

Yes, now that I have discovered Latin (I didn't even know what Latin was when I signed up for it my Freshman year) I have fallen in love with the Classics. It's absolutely amazing how much the ancient world has in common with modern society. Hehe, having a wonderful teacher doesn't hurt either. :wink:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Welcome to the board Aurelia! Hope it can help you to form an opinion on the Greek language and culture before you choose to study it at University. :D

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

thanks! I'm studying the alphabet right now, it's quite interesting. :wink: sed scio Latinam, et id amo! (estne sonum an estne corruptum?)

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

Sound? I think integer which is the word used for correct when we are talking about language would be better.

Don't worry too much about this though, my mistakes in translations would make anyone here shudder.

Welcome, anyway.

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

me paenitet, ignosce mihi. That's what Magister always says if he's asking whether something is correct or not. Maybe he meant sound in a different way, like sound as in stable. hmmm...anyway I have to brush up on my Latin, I studied yesterday for the first time all summer. pessimum est, scio.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Salve, Aurelia!

Welcome to Textkit! I'm nineteen, studying French, Latin, Greek and Gaelic, although I've laid Greek and Gaelic aside for a bit so that I can focus on French and Latin.

(And just for your information, Luke, French is one of the most beautiful languages there is, and has helped me with my Latin tremendously, so there. :P)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing you around!

~Keesa

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Ah, ma chère Keesa, naturellement, comme tu sais, je faire la petite farce. ;) J'adore beacoup le français, et toi aussi, amie. Également, ma petite amie est française, et bien entendu, je l'aime vigoureusement.

Oh yah! I forgot about Gaelic. Yes, if you're interested in studying Irish Gaelic, Aurelia, or anyone else for that matter, Keesa and I could sure use the practice. Le do thoil!

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Lucus Eques wrote: Oh yah! I forgot about Gaelic. Yes, if you're interested in studying Irish Gaelic, Aurelia, or anyone else for that matter, Keesa and I could sure use the practice. Le do thoil!
Merci, Luc. :)

And yes, by all means, Gaelic practice is always welcomed!

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

I would love to learn Irish Gaelic, it's such a beautiful language. Where do I start?

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Welcome, gotta admit I hear much more Scottish Gaelic but surely there cannot be a substantial difference. Or is that a bad assumption to be making here?

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I actually haven't tackled Scotch Gaelic yet, but I know they're similar; they're all from Ireland, of course. But then again, so are Italian and French both from Italy. ;)

And one may start here; I find these lessons particularly comprehensive.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Aurelia wrote:I would love to learn Irish Gaelic, it's such a beautiful language. Where do I start?
That depends on the sort of study you like to do. The link Luke gave (which was given to me first by a native speaker of Irish Gaelic (although it's just referred to as "Irish"; "Gaelic" refers to Scottish Gaelic.) is one of my favorites, too, but you may prefer http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/bl ... eag1.shtml
or any one of the links contained on this page http://www.braesicke.de/links.htm.

And, of course, for listening to the language and finding out what it sounds like spoken, http://www.rte.ie/rnag/, Raidió na Gaeltacha. Just click on the red "Eist" button in the corner. ("Eist" means "listen" in Irish.)

As far as the difference between Irish Gaelic and Scots Gaelic, it's mostly a difference of spellings, with a few different words and constructions. I find that I can understand only a little less Gaelic than Irish, when I listen to them.

emily8937
Textkit Neophyte

Post by emily8937 »

well my name is emily and i just joined a couple of days ago...im very new with latin its going to be my second year learning it in highschool but my first year i had a horrible teacher and didnt really listen. i will be a sophmore in highschool this year so i decided to join textkit and see what its all about and turns out its really cool and ...ill probably need some help this school year so i wont hesitate to ask any of u guys for help :wink:
-Emily