What are the most remarkable differences between Attic Greek and Ionic? And between new Ionic and old?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
TheinenGH
Textkit Neophyte

What are the most remarkable differences between Attic Greek and Ionic? And between new Ionic and old?

Post by TheinenGH »

About the ancient dialects, one of the things I read most is how Attic and Ionic are close to each other. I recently looked at some Anacreon fragments and noticed how the language didn't looked different from the attic greek.
So what I want to ask is:
1.What are the most remarkable differences between Attic and Ionic?
2. And between Old Ionic and New Ionic, what are the differences? Which one of those is Anacreon's dialect?
3. Is there any grammar focused on Ionic greek?

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: What are the most remarkable differences between Attic Greek and Ionic? And between new Ionic and old?

Post by Aetos »

This Wikipedia article will answer most of your questions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionic_Greek

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: What are the most remarkable differences between Attic Greek and Ionic? And between new Ionic and old?

Post by mwh »

That wiki article needs replacing, but I’m not about to do that!

It’s true that Attic is not very different from Anacreon’s Ionic, but Anacreon’s ἥ κου νῦν ἐπὶ Ληθαίου δίνῃσι would in Attic be που and δίναις.
That illustrates the two most notable dialectal differences.