Latin authors

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Latin authors

Post by Propertius »

I’m sure someone else has asked this but I’m not really in the mood to scroll through the endless topics of this forum. Anyways, my question is where could I buy a copy of Caesar’s works, Cicero’s, Virgil’s, and pretty much any Latin author, but in particular those three for now. I’m asking for the Latin text only with or without footnotes and not some Latin-English parallel text (don’t recommend the Loeb series). Thank you.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Latin authors

Post by bedwere »

There is this Jeff Bezos guy who has a pretty good selection of anything. https://www.amazon.com/

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

bedwere wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:33 pm There is this Jeff Bezos guy who has a pretty good selection of anything. https://www.amazon.com/

Is this a joke?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:05 pm Is this a joke?
I admit that was the intent. I guess I'd better not quit my job for a stand-up comedy career.

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

bedwere wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:47 am
Propertius wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:05 pm Is this a joke?
I admit that was the intent. I guess I'd better not quit my job for a stand-up comedy career.
Anyone that isn’t as funny as bedwere mind helping? I would really like to get my hands on these books instead of having to scroll through online versions.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

propertius wrote:I’m sure someone else has asked this but I’m not really in the mood to scroll through the endless topics of this forum.
I think people here are very happy to help if you ask focussed questions and show that you have done some work at least in answering your own question. Announcing at the beginning of your post that you are not "in the mood" to do this is hardly likely to encourage forum members to help out. You might consider reading some rhetoric to see how an appeal for assistance might be best phrased.

The standard texts for the authors you mention are the Oxford Classical Texts https://global.oup.com/academic/content ... b&lang=en&. There is also The Bibliotheca Teubneriana which is better for some authors https://www.degruyter.com/view/db/btl .

I don't think there is much point in reading Virgil without a commentary. For first timers Pharr (bks 1-6) is helpful as are the focus Vergil Aeneid commentaries (Randall Ganiban, et al.). Austin and Williams published by OUP are rather more advanced.

Whilst some Loebs do have unrevised and old fashioned translations and often no critical apparatus they are not to be despised, especially as one can take out a subscription to read the entire library on-line.
Last edited by seneca2008 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

don’t recommend the Loeb series
Hint: "Please" also helps.

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

RandyGibbons wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:34 pm
don’t recommend the Loeb series
Hint: "Please" also helps.
I did say thank you in advance at the end. You should have quoted that.

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

seneca2008 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 am
propertius wrote:I’m sure someone else has asked this but I’m not really in the mood to scroll through the endless topics of this forum.
I think people here are very happy to help if you ask focussed questions and show that you have done some work at least in answering your own question. Announcing at the beginning of your post that you are not "in the mood" to do this is hardly likely to encourage forum members to help out. You might consider reading some rhetoric to see how an appeal for assistance might be best phrased.

The standard texts for the authors you mention are the Oxford Classical Texts https://global.oup.com/academic/content ... b&lang=en&. There is also The Bibliotheca Teubneriana which is better for some authors https://www.degruyter.com/view/db/btl .

I don't think there is much point in reading Virgil without a commentary. For first timers Pharr (bks 1-6) is helpful as are the focus Vergil Aeneid commentaries (Randall Ganiban, et al.). Austin and Williams published by OUP are rather more advanced.

Whilst some Loebs do have unrevised and old fashioned translations and often no critical apparatus they are not to be despised, especially as one can take out a subscription to read the entire library on-line.
Sorry. I did make a quick search of the forum and it seemed endless with no results for my question. I do know of thelatinlibrary(.)com but as I said I’m a fan of books and would prefer to have these classics in my hands. Thank you for your help. I’ll check out the Oxford Classical Texts that you recommended for now.

Multas gratias tibi ago.