On Board TEXTKIT

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Senex
Textkit Neophyte

On Board TEXTKIT

Post by Senex »

Salvete: I am just an old fella. For some reason that I cannot fathom I want to learn to speak Latin. My only experience is having taken Ecclesiastical Latin for my MA in Theological Studies (2008 Christendom College graduate school.) I am a graduate of the Watson School SUNY-Binghamton where I earned a MS System Science in 1988. I had a 30 year career as a Systems Analyst; now retired and live in a retirement community. I am working through Orberg's Lingva Latina materials having started just a few weeks ago. I think TextKit may be a great resource for me. I hope to find a local group in the Gaithersburg MD area (or a virtual group) to have actual voice chats in Latin.

Valete, Victorius

FlatAssembler
Textkit Member

Re: On Board TEXTKIT

Post by FlatAssembler »

Senex wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:39 am Salvete: I am just an old fella. For some reason that I cannot fathom I want to learn to speak Latin. My only experience is having taken Ecclesiastical Latin for my MA in Theological Studies (2008 Christendom College graduate school.) I am a graduate of the Watson School SUNY-Binghamton where I earned a MS System Science in 1988. I had a 30 year career as a Systems Analyst; now retired and live in a retirement community. I am working through Orberg's Lingva Latina materials having started just a few weeks ago. I think TextKit may be a great resource for me. I hope to find a local group in the Gaithersburg MD area (or a virtual group) to have actual voice chats in Latin.

Valete, Victorius
Since you like theology, might be interested in this thread.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Salve, senex amice. My daughter was one of my students at a previous school where I taught. On quizzes and tests, students were required to write the teacher's name, and about halfway through the year, she began writing senex in the teacher name slot (I gave her extra credit and owned it). I'm using Ørberg this year for the first time as a beginning text, and looking forward to seeing how it's going to go.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

adoratio
Textkit Neophyte

Post by adoratio »

Welcome Senex. I am very new here too, sort of old (not yet retired) with some odd desire to suddenly take up Latin. I am up to chapter 12 in Orberg and focus on the speaking too. I don't know if I am to feeling confident enough to try speaking but would like to head in that direction. I listen to recordings a lot and read out loud. At the minimum I would at least like to understand Latin when I hear it. I'm probably not much good for joining an online group as I think I'm on the other side of world (Australia).

Also you might like "How to Read and Speak Latin Fluently' by deka glossai on YouTube (I don't think I can post links here)

Fausta
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fausta »

Salve Senex! I retired from teaching in June and now have all the time I need to return to a study of latin. I am currently using Wheelock's latin and the Cambridge Latin course. I find that together they're a nice combination of learning the nuts and bolts of the language and fun stories. I'd love to hear about your progress.