is vs ille

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

is vs ille

Post by Propertius »

Are these two words used interchangeably when ille means he?

For example, in Hillard and Botting’s composition book it asks to translate the following sentence:

Their territories seem broader than ours.

My translation:

agri eorum latiores quam nostri videntur.

The answer key has illorum instead of eorum though.

So is either one right? Or can is and ille only be used at certain times?

will.dawe
Textkit Fan

Re: is vs ille

Post by will.dawe »

Two verses he could recollect // Of the Æneid, but incorrect.

Ronolio
Textkit Member

Post by Ronolio »

I would think that illorum might have been used due to its implication of distance, although it does seem that both would work. Pronouns can be tricky though, particularly in Latin with its large number of pronouns.

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

can is and ille only be used at certain times?
Yes and no. Read the dictionaries and grammars. Pronouns stand in for something, and part of the problem here is that there is no context for your exercise sentence ("Their territories seem broader than ours.").

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

So ille is for a third person that’s present and is is for a third person not present? I had assumed that. But now let me ask you all, was there anyway of knowing which word to have used in the sentence? It could have been either of the two, am I right? I mean, how could I have known whether their was a group of people that were present or not present. Am I correct?

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

I think that's what I said.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

“Their” as opposed to “our” calls for illorum, not eorum. If ever there’s emphasis on “their” (as there is here), illorum will be appropriate; if not, eorum or nothing.

It's not really a matter of presence/absence. Ille is the opposite of hic; it distances.

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

mwh wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:47 pm “Their” as opposed to “our” calls for illorum, not eorum. If ever there’s emphasis on “their” (as there is here), illorum will be appropriate; if not, eorum or nothing.

It's not really a matter of presence/absence. Ille is the opposite of hic; it distances.
Got it. Makes sense now. Thanks.