Latin Vocabulary Books?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
DOCTOREXIMIVSETPIVS
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Vocabulary Books?

Post by DOCTOREXIMIVSETPIVS »

Hi,

Does anyone have recommendations of good Latin vocabulary books (Latin-English)?

Also, I have a specific word to ask: does the form "commentaria" exist? As far as I know, there is only "commentarius" and its inflections, and none of them is "commentaria".

DOCTOR EXIMIVS ATQVE PIVS

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Latin Vocabulary Books?

Post by bedwere »

Lewis and Short and The Oxford Latin Dictionary are considered the best.

Laurentius Mons
Textkit Member

Post by Laurentius Mons »

The neuter commentarium, ii n. exists as well, it's an alternative form of commentarius, ii m. The plural of commentarium is commentaria, so the form does indeed exist.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

From one of those "vocabulary books" just mentioned:

commentārius ~(i)ī m. Also ~ium ~(i)ī neut., conm-. [commentum + -ārius] GENDER: where distinguishable more commonly m.; neut. VAR. L. 6.90, CIC. Brut. 164, VITR. 9.pr.14, LIV. 42.6.3, PLIN. Nat. 34.108, etc.

Glare, P. G. W. (Ed.). (2012). Oxford Latin Dictionary (Second Edition, Vol. I & II). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

We normally call "vocabulary books" Lexicons, when citations are included to support the glosses, and dictionaries where such citations are not included.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

DOCTOREXIMIVSETPIVS wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:59 pm Hi,

Does anyone have recommendations of good Latin vocabulary books (Latin-English)?

You can find apps for Lewis and Short for both Android and iPhone.

I find Traupman's Latin-English student dictionary helpful, especially while away from my desk. It's small, low-cost (Bantam), and it has handy grammar tables. I have worn out several of these.
Hugh Lawson

Ronolio
Textkit Member

Post by Ronolio »

Whitaker's Words is also a useful app available for Android. I don't know if it is available for iphone. Unlike the Lewis and Short app, which requires the dictionary entry of a word (i.e. nominative singular, 1st person present active indicative, etc.), with Whitaker's Words you can enter any form of the word and get a meaning and possible inflections.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Ronolio wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:11 pm Whitaker's Words is also a useful app available for Android. I don't know if it is available for iphone. Unlike the Lewis and Short app, which requires the dictionary entry of a word (i.e. nominative singular, 1st person present active indicative, etc.), with Whitaker's Words you can enter any form of the word and get a meaning and possible inflections.
I have the iPhone Whitaker's words. It requires internet to work.
Hugh Lawson

DOCTOREXIMIVSETPIVS
Textkit Neophyte

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:59 pm From one of those "vocabulary books" just mentioned:

commentārius ~(i)ī m. Also ~ium ~(i)ī neut., conm-. [commentum + -ārius] GENDER: where distinguishable more commonly m.; neut. VAR. L. 6.90, CIC. Brut. 164, VITR. 9.pr.14, LIV. 42.6.3, PLIN. Nat. 34.108, etc.

Glare, P. G. W. (Ed.). (2012). Oxford Latin Dictionary (Second Edition, Vol. I & II). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

We normally call "vocabulary books" Lexicons, when citations are included to support the glosses, and dictionaries where such citations are not included.
I want to clarify that I used the term "vocabulary book" instead of "dictionary" or "lexicon" intentionally. I am more looking for a book with, for example, 1500 or 2000 or 3000 common and frequently used words, so that it can help me reading much faster, which is similar to what many people do when preparing SAT or GRE (I'm not going to any Latin exams). Do you have any suggestions?

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I wondered if that is what you had in mind.

This might be what you are looking for:

Essential Latin Vocabulary: The 1,425 Most Common Words Occurring in the Actual Writings of over 200 Latin Authors Mark A. E. Williams

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Latin- ... 0615702503
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

DOCTOREXIMIVSETPIVS
Textkit Neophyte

seneca2008 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:35 pm I wondered if that is what you had in mind.

This might be what you are looking for:

Essential Latin Vocabulary: The 1,425 Most Common Words Occurring in the Actual Writings of over 200 Latin Authors Mark A. E. Williams

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Latin- ... 0615702503
Yes, this is exactly the kind of book I'm looking for. Thank you!

DOCTOR EXIMIVS ATQVE PIVS