Caesar BG 1.1

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Japonicus
Textkit Neophyte

Caesar BG 1.1

Post by Japonicus »

When describing various locations, Caesar gives very clear references to significant geographic features. (rivers, mountains, etc.) However, he also provides a description with respect to heavenly bodies (rising sun, northern stars). What is the point of this? It seems like the geographic features are perfectly clear. Is this simply to give an astronomical position as well? I guess a Roman reader would have a far greater appreciation of this without access to maps . Thanks for any input!

Here are some examples from 1.1:

spectant in septentrionem et orientem solem

spectat inter occasum solis et septentriones

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Caesar BG 1.1

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Yes, google maps was too rudimentary to be useful in those days... :)

These are simply ways of expressing direction.

spectant in septentrionem et orientem solem

"They look toward the north and rising sun," i.e., the northeast.

spectat inter occasum solis et septentriones

"It looks between the setting of the sun and the north," i.e., the northwest.
OLD wrote:septentriōnēs ~um m. pl. Also septemt- and as two words. Subsequently sg. form ~ō, ~ōnis. [septem + triōnēs]

2 The northern quarter of the sky, the north.
▶ (pl.) Europa (iacet) ad ~es et aquilonem VAR. L. 5.31; inflectens ‥ sol cursum tum ad ~es tum ad meridiem CIC. N.D. 2.49; omnis Gallia ad ~es uergit CAES. Gal. 4.20.1; 〈quae〉 sub ~ibus nutriuntur gentes VITR. 6.1.3; MELA 3.61; notum est limites regionesque esse caeli quattuor: exortum, occasum, meridiem, ~es GEL. 2.22.3; —(sg.) fluminum ‥ plurima maximaque inueniuntur egressa ad ~onem VITR. 8.2.6; Poenis in ~onem uersis LIV. 22.46.8; 45.29.8; a ~one Nasamones sunt, gens Syrtica CURT. 4.7.19; in frigora ~onemque uergentibus inmansueta ingenia sunt SEN. Dial. 4.15.5; PLIN. Nat. 4.19; TAC. Hist. 5.6; (in tmesis) Hyperboreo septem subiecta trioni gens effrena uirum VERG. G. 3.3.81.
b the northerly regions of the world or their inhabitants.
▶ (pl., in tmesis) Scythiam Septemque triones horrifer inuasit Boreas OV. Met. 1.64; —(sg.) totus hinc aut illinc ~o eremigatus PLIN. Nat. 2.168; ~o fert et equorum greges ferorum 8.3.9; totum paene orientem ac ~onem ruina sua inuoluit FLOR. Epit. 1.40(3.5.21).
c the northern part of a specified area.
▶ (sg.) quarto subiacent circulo ‥ Icarium mare, Cycladum ~o, Athenae PLIN. Nat. 6.215.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Ronolio
Textkit Member

Post by Ronolio »

To add, the ancient mind would be very receptive to astronomical descriptions, given the frequency of use for temporal as well as navigational purposes.

Japonicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Japonicus »

I'm glad to see this confirmed. I wasn't sure if I was reading it correctly. However, I'm still stuck on one thing. If Caesar tells us that Aquitania is bound by the Garonne, the Pyrenees, and the ocean, what else do we learn from spectat inter occasum solis et septentriones? Perhaps I'm just being dense or missing the real meaning of spectat, but the physical boundaries seem perfectly adequate. Does this give a relative position within the boundaries? The dictionary suggests this is the case, as it offers, "is situated to the north - west" Am I being blinded by the modern luxury of easy access to information about French geography?

For reference I was using this entry from Lewis & Short:
Of localities, to look, face, lie, be situated towards any quarter (syn.: prospicio, vergo); constr. usu. with ad, in, inter, etc., or an adv. of place; less freq. with acc.: Aquitania spectat inter occasum solis et septentriones,” is situated to the north - west, Caes. B. G. 1, 1 fin.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

If Caesar tells us that Aquitania is bound by the Garonne, the Pyrenees, and the ocean, what else do we learn from spectat inter occasum solis et septentriones?
You raise an interesting question. I think, however, that you are making some unspoken and unwarranted assumptions.

Firstly you read the text with your modern understanding of disposition of the land Caesar describes. Secondly you do not engage with Caesar's politics.

You seem to imagine that Caesar's contemporaries were familiar with the geography he describes, but in fact according to Cicero the reverse is the case. See this interesting article:

https://research.ncl.ac.uk/histos/docum ... Caesar.pdf

Caesar's description which on the surface is a strictly geographical one has a political purpose. No one had previously described the region. He was marking it out as his creation which "he was going to subdue militarily" (Johnstone).

I think also that it is difficult to follow what you are saying because your quotes are out of context. Here are some quotes from the Loeb:
Eorum una pars, quam Gallos obtinere dictum est, initium capit a flumine Rhodano; continetur Garumna flumine, Oceano, finibus Belgarum; attingit etiam ab Sequanis et Helvetiis flumen Rhenum; vergit ad septentriones. Belgae ab extremis Galliae finibus oriuntur; pertinent ad inferiorem partem fluminis Rheni; spectant in septentrionem et orientem solem.

The separate part of the country which, as has been said, is occupied by the Gauls, starts from the river Rhone, and is bounded by the river Garonne, the Ocean, and the territory of the Belgae; moreover, on the side of the Sequani and the Helvetii, it touches the river Rhine; and its general trend is northward. The Belgae, beginning from the edge of the Gallic territory, reach to the lower part of the river Rhine, bearing towards the north and east.

Aquitania a Garumna flumine ad Pyrenaeos montes et eam partem Oceani quae est ad Hispaniam pertinet; spectat inter occasum solis et septentriones.

Aquitania, starting from the Garonne, reaches to the Pyrenees and to that part of the Ocean which is by Spain: its bearing is between west and north.
So the question is where are these bearings of north east and west from? Perhaps its from the Roman province of Gallia Narbonensia (Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae, propterea quod a cultu atque humanitate provinciae (the Roman province of Gallia Narbonensia, formed about 121 b.c.) longissime absunt). So in effect Caesar is describing unknown (less well known) regions with respect to their bearings from civilisation - Gallia Narbonensia. To the North be dragons. But more importantly the act of defining these regions in this complete way is a way of showing his mastery over them.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

No expert but,

I think the real reason for these inclusions is that Caesar wasn't writing FOR himself but always to PROMOTE himself.
These colorful additions would add to the novelty of his expeditions and help to draw in and entertain the audience.
I've read [Goldsworth's "Caesar"] that each book was read out loud to the masses back in Rome and then posted for
any to see & read themselves. No, Rick Steves he wasn't. But he was a superb politician and knew the people would
enjoy his "adventures."

Cathexis
Romani ite Domum

Ronolio
Textkit Member

Post by Ronolio »

While Caesar was most definitely writing to promote himself, what Goldsworthy actually says is much more vague than what you have given. He says that in the sources "there are hints" indicating that public readings were common and history was particularly popular and that "it seems probable" that Caesar would have used this medium as well. For a very good account of various elements of Caesar's writing, I would recommend Andrew Riggsby's Caesar in Gaul and Rome: War in Words.

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

I had to go back to the book, page 188, in particular. You are correct that I exaggerated, or conflated it with some other event.

Cathexis
Romani ite Domum

Ronolio
Textkit Member

Post by Ronolio »

I had to go back and check as well. I couldn't recall if he was in the annual camp or the all at once camp. But if you are interested, you should check out Riggsby's book. He talks a good bit about Caesar's representations of the land and peoples he encounters without being overly technical. Another good one on Caesar is Jeff Tatum's Always I am Caesar. Tatum incorporates Caesars life with descriptions of Roman society and culture.

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

Thanks!
Romani ite Domum