Requested Translation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
QuintusTheCuck
Textkit Neophyte

Requested Translation

Post by QuintusTheCuck »

I am making a game that has an entrance to the underworld, and I thought it'd be awesome to have an ancient greek inscription above it, saying the following:

"Here dwells Hades, the Lord of Death"

Thanks!!!!! :) :) :)

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Requested Translation

Post by jeidsath »

νεκρῶν κευθμὼν καὶ σκότου πύλαι, ἵν᾿ Ἅιδης χωρὶς ᾤκισται θεῶν.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

νεκρῶν κευθμὼν καὶ σκότου πύλαι, ἵν᾿ Ἅιδης χωρὶς ᾤκισται θεῶν.
I think you need to adapt your Euripides a little bit more!
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I thought it worked just fine without more adaptation than putting the first part into the nominative.

"Vault of corpses and [double-] gates of darkness, where Hades dwells apart from gods."
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Yes it does work well. I was just thinking of a "welcome to". Anyway very ingenious. Well done
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.