James Morwood 1943 - 2017

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

James Morwood 1943 - 2017

Post by jeidsath »

I discovered today that James Morwood passed away back in late in 2017. He is known to many different classics learners for many publications, but I found found his desk-sized Greek and Latin dictionaries and grammars invaluable. I corresponded with him on some typographical errors in the month before he died, and he answered very graciously and mentioned that he hoped for a second edition some day.

James Morwood Wikipedia
Society for Classical Studies: In Memoriam James Morwood
Wadham College: Remembering James Morwood
Guardian: James Morwood obituary
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Re: James Morwood 1943 - 2017

Post by Sohtnirybal »

I use his greek grammar to study, I find it very useful and very esencial, I think this grammar is a must have for the learner of ancient greek. my greek professor who was his student in UK -Oxford- told me that he passed away.
Last edited by Sohtnirybal on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Lukas »

Sad to hear it.
Λουκᾶς

Dante
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dante »

while Smyth is the final word, Morwood’s grammar was the one that I used most while learning. My tutor said he wore out two copies while studying at Oxford! The dictionary is pretty handy too, especially since it also has English-Greek if you don’t want to punch up your Woodhouse PDF. I used his Latin grammar sometimes while learning, but its not as useful and I usually resort to Allen & Greenough.