Did the old board have pinned articles for,...?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Cathexis
Textkit Member

Did the old board have pinned articles for,...?

Post by Cathexis »

Did the old board have pinned articles for font help, text recommendations, etc.?
I thought it did. Perhaps the Ferryman beckons me.

Andrew/Cathexis
Romani ite Domum

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Did the old board have pinned articles for,...?

Post by jeidsath »

That change was made a long time back. They were not very relevant to modern computers, and I wasn't sure that the dialect suggestions deserved to be pinned to the top of the board. We should re-pin any threads that we don't want to sync into backlog oblivion.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

No probs,

I thought the text recommendations were helpful to Newbies to the board.
Is there a preferred font/keyboard for using Greek and/or macrons, etc. for
this new board set-up? Does it have any preferences you're aware of?

Thank in Advance,

Andrew
Romani ite Domum

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I thought the text recommendations were helpful to Newbies to the board.
I believe it was a dialect recommendation thread on the Greek board. Some of the advice there was dubious. However, I agree that it's worth starting a "how should a newbie learn Greek" thread that we can pin (assuming that we get good answers). A similar one would also be useful for the Latin board, if they want it.
Is there a preferred font/keyboard for using Greek and/or macrons, etc. for
this new board set-up?
The modern unicode standard contains the whole Greek polytonic character set now, so there is no generally no need to install a special font anymore. Android was the last major OS holdout that I'm aware of, and they've finally fixed it.

For inputing Greek, I recommend starting a new thread on keyboards. The answer (that I'll reply with to that thread) is that all the major operating systems have built-in polytonic keyboards that can be turned on, and it's well-worth using them. Mobile devices are more complicated, especially IOS. There are also websites that people can use on any OS.

However, in general, maybe we should have a "thread recommendation thread" which can give more nuanced advice on what to read than simply adding stickies.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

Hi Joel,
I have a .pdf that is a pretty good guide to using the Unicode greek polytonic keyboard in MS Windows. It assumes a US keyboard, but with that in mind, it shows almost all keystroke combinations, particularly for characters having iota subscripts. I know I can't upload attachments personally, but I'd be happy to pm you the file. It's only 203Kb.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

If you'd like to start a thread, just upload that sort of thing to archive.org (which is what I'd do), and link to it. Is it a PDF that you made, or is it from someone else?

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

It's from someone else; however, there's no author listed. I have an account at archive.org, so I can upload it there. I will try to find out where I got it from and post a link.
Well, that was easy:
http://www.dramata.com/Ancient%20polyto ... indows.pdf

Have a look and see if it's helpful. If so, I'd be honored to start a new thread!
EDIT: Digging a little deeper, this is part of a resource page published by LSU (I'm guessing Louisiana State) with a bunch of links. Just go to the main URL.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Yes. I thought that might be the PDF you were referring to. They've also got separate instructions for Mac.

All available here: http://www.dramata.com/

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

The recent additions of a help thread to the board by Joel and Aetos are excellent, IMHO.

Thanks guys!

Andrew/Cathexis
Romani ite Domum