Did the old board have pinned articles for,...?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Cathexis
Textkit Member

Did the old board have pinned articles for,...?

Post by Cathexis » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Did the old board have pinned articles for font help, text recommendations, etc.?
I thought it did. Perhaps the Ferryman beckons me.

Andrew/Cathexis
Romani ite Domum

jeidsath
Administrator

Re: Did the old board have pinned articles for,...?

Post by jeidsath » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:00 pm

That change was made a long time back. They were not very relevant to modern computers, and I wasn't sure that the dialect suggestions deserved to be pinned to the top of the board. We should re-pin any threads that we don't want to sync into backlog oblivion.
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:25 pm

No probs,

I thought the text recommendations were helpful to Newbies to the board.
Is there a preferred font/keyboard for using Greek and/or macrons, etc. for
this new board set-up? Does it have any preferences you're aware of?

Thank in Advance,

Andrew
Romani ite Domum

jeidsath
Administrator

Post by jeidsath » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm

I thought the text recommendations were helpful to Newbies to the board.
I believe it was a dialect recommendation thread on the Greek board. Some of the advice there was dubious. However, I agree that it's worth starting a "how should a newbie learn Greek" thread that we can pin (assuming that we get good answers). A similar one would also be useful for the Latin board, if they want it.
Is there a preferred font/keyboard for using Greek and/or macrons, etc. for
this new board set-up?
The modern unicode standard contains the whole Greek polytonic character set now, so there is no generally no need to install a special font anymore. Android was the last major OS holdout that I'm aware of, and they've finally fixed it.

For inputing Greek, I recommend starting a new thread on keyboards. The answer (that I'll reply with to that thread) is that all the major operating systems have built-in polytonic keyboards that can be turned on, and it's well-worth using them. Mobile devices are more complicated, especially IOS. There are also websites that people can use on any OS.

However, in general, maybe we should have a "thread recommendation thread" which can give more nuanced advice on what to read than simply adding stickies.

Aetos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Aetos » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi Joel,
I have a .pdf that is a pretty good guide to using the Unicode greek polytonic keyboard in MS Windows. It assumes a US keyboard, but with that in mind, it shows almost all keystroke combinations, particularly for characters having iota subscripts. I know I can't upload attachments personally, but I'd be happy to pm you the file. It's only 203Kb.

jeidsath
Administrator

Post by jeidsath » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:33 pm

If you'd like to start a thread, just upload that sort of thing to archive.org (which is what I'd do), and link to it. Is it a PDF that you made, or is it from someone else?

Aetos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Aetos » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:41 pm

It's from someone else; however, there's no author listed. I have an account at archive.org, so I can upload it there. I will try to find out where I got it from and post a link.
Well, that was easy:
http://www.dramata.com/Ancient%20polyto ... indows.pdf

Have a look and see if it's helpful. If so, I'd be honored to start a new thread!
EDIT: Digging a little deeper, this is part of a resource page published by LSU (I'm guessing Louisiana State) with a bunch of links. Just go to the main URL.

jeidsath
Administrator

Post by jeidsath » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Yes. I thought that might be the PDF you were referring to. They've also got separate instructions for Mac.

All available here: http://www.dramata.com/

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:51 pm

The recent additions of a help thread to the board by Joel and Aetos are excellent, IMHO.

Thanks guys!

Andrew/Cathexis
Romani ite Domum