Reading Livy

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
BookWyrm
Textkit Neophyte

Reading Livy

Post by BookWyrm »

Hello everyone!

I've been teaching myself Latin through the Henle's Latin textbook (which I really enjoy!) with the aim of reading Livy.
I know Livy is difficult, but I'd like to work my way there with patience and time, and I'd like to know if anyone would have any recommendations on the best way to do that.

My current plan is to work through the Henle books, then read the Lingua Latina series to develop sight-reading skills, and then move on to Livy Readers published by Bristol Classics.

But I'm pretty ignorant about Latin acquisition and would love input if anyone has some.

Thank you!

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Reading Livy

Post by anphph »

I don't know Henle's books, but presumably the only thing anyone can recommend you at this stage is that you get a firm basis in Latin grammar, vocabulary, syntax through study books, and then make the jump to De urbe condita. No need to complicate things, and I don't think taking a sidetrack through other authors makes much sense, if what you are motivated for is to read Livy.

So just finish the books you have and get yourself a student edition (with grammatical etc notes) of a book or two of Livy -- there's probably a few online -- and make your way through.

Laurentius Mons
Textkit Member

Post by Laurentius Mons »

The second book of the Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata series, Roma Aeterna, contains lots of passages from Livy. They are adapted at first, but as you progress they become more and more authentic. Reading those passages first will make it easier to approach Livy in an unadapted form later on.

Familia Romana and the other books in that series taught me to really read Latin, so I highly recommend them, whatever your eventual goal is.

scotistic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by scotistic »

This is pretty much how I learned Latin. I got the basics from Wheelock, which I hated, then worked through all the Henle books, which I loved, then (a few years later) went through all the Lingua Latina books, which I loved even more. I recommend this strategy.

truks
Textkit Member

Post by truks »

Just to add to what others have said here, I see in Ørberg's instructions to Roma Aeterna, the second part of LL, that from line 222 of chapter 45, 'the text is unchanged. From now on all the passages from Roman authors are presented unchanged – apart from omissions.'

BookWyrm
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BookWyrm »

Thank you all for your input!