ANKI-Deck "Adler Exercises"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

ANKI-Deck "Adler Exercises"

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete,

I created a deck for the flashcard programme ANKI containing the Q&A-sets (English/Latin) of the Exercises 1-171 from Exercises contained in Adler's Practical Grammar of the Latin Language (based on my transcription version v1.1, 24 December 2015). It contains only Exercises 1-171 because the last Exercise (172) features letters which are not suitable for use with flashcards.

The ANKI-deck can be downloaded from the Download-section of my homepage. The ZIP-file (about 624 kb) contains the deck itself, the input file used to generate it, and some basic information (Readme.txt).

Each flashcard contains a complete Q&A-set both in English (front) and Latin (back). Each flashcard has 2 tags:
  • "Lx": where "x" is the number of the Lesson it belongs to, e.g. "L20"
  • "EXx": where "x" is the number of the Exercise it belongs to, e.g. "EX30"
Please report any errors (especially formatting). I converted them en gros and did not check all cards.

Have fun,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Re: ANKI-Deck "Adler Exercises"

Post by hlawson38 »

Carolus, that is really a fine thing you are doing, making this kind of material available. This much require a lot of keyboarding!
Hugh Lawson

tom_scrace
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tom_scrace »

This is fantastic. Thank you so much. I'm working through Adler now, so this is really going to be a big help.

I will report any errors.

Tom

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

hlawson38 wrote:Carolus, that is really a fine thing you are doing, making this kind of material available. This much require a lot of keyboarding!
Actually, creating the ANKI-deck did not require a lot work because I had the input file from the original transcription project (available on my homepage!) to work with: a few regular expressions to get rid of footnotes, a small Javascript to do the conversion, and voilà. This is exactly the reason why I also provided the input file: so that it can be used to adapt it for whatever purpose one sees fit.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

intolerandus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by intolerandus »

Greetings.

Thank you, Carolus, for your work with this deck.

You mention the so-called input file which can be used to create anki-decks like this one. I'd like to create a deck for Meissner's Phrase Book, but I'm still at a loss over what exactly I should do to achieve the goal. If you could just give me some instruction, I would highly appreciate it.

All the best,
intolerandus

intolerandus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by intolerandus »

I've found some videos on Youtube on how to create decks using "input files" and "scripts" and other offensively incomprehensible things, and I think it will be much easier to do all the work by hand; so to the mentioned work I'm now going to give up the rest of the summer.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

intolerandus wrote:You mention the so-called input file which can be used to create anki-decks like this one. I'd like to create a deck for Meissner's Phrase Book, but I'm still at a loss over what exactly I should do to achieve the goal. If you could just give me some instruction, I would highly appreciate it.
All the best,
intolerandus
Greetings to you, too.

Check out the Download-section of my homepage. There is an ANKI-version of the Latin Phrase Book, which I created last year and even uploaded to my homepage, but then forgot to add a link on my homepage (silly me). It should be be working. Please give a quick report what you think.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

intolerandus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by intolerandus »

Dear Carolus Raeticus,

I can't thank you enough for your hard work on the deck! It's really wonderful to just start studying instead of plugging away for weeks on copy-pasting the whole thing into Anki (the only line of work I seem to be capable of, as far as anki-decking is concerned.)

Just a minor point: did you completely dispense with the footnotes or they are somehow retrievable? Anyways, I find your work remarkable and I'm tickled pink to set out on a learning journey.

Here's something you may enjoy to have a look at, but feel free to discard if unwanted: the fruit of my stubborn labour—as clumsy as it is—I've only managed one third of the book so far, and I'm obviously not going to continue.

All best as ever,
intolerandus

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salve!
intolerandus wrote:Just a minor point: did you completely dispense with the footnotes or they are somehow retrievable? Anyways, I find your work remarkable and I'm tickled pink to set out on a learning journey.
The footnotes are not part of the ANKI-deck, and deliberately so. First of all, it did not seem to make a lot of sense to add these for an ANKI-deck, also it would have meant more work to do the conversion. Still, they are part of the plain text input file Meissner-20151019.txt, also available in the Download-section of my homepage. The footnotes are enclosed in curly brackets ({}).

I had a look at the APKG-file you reference: well done! Still, the version on my homepage contains all the phrases (minus the footnotes).

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

intolerandus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by intolerandus »

Salve Carolus Raeticus,

I have just stumbled across a rather intersting book: A Dictionary of Latin Phrases by William Robertson (Can be seen here: https://archive.org/details/dictionaryo ... ft/page/n9). I was wondering if there's a possibility of applying this magical "script" we discussed before to turn this book into an anki deck as I feel slightly dizzy at the prospect of copy-pasting this volume by hand, I don't mind telling you.

What do you think?

All best wishes,
i

imd
Textkit Neophyte

Post by imd »

EX1 L2 and EX2 L3 misspell saccharum as sacharum.

Also, not a typo, but probably an idiosyncrasy of Adler and/or Evan Millner, that you might have some insight into. Adler uses the spelling 'pileus', which dictionaries tell me has a long i, whereas the same give the spelling 'pilleus' a short i. Adler uses 'pileus', but Evan Millner pronounces it short. I don't understand the vagaries of how length is determined or guessed, is someone at fault here, or is this all perfectly licit?

donhamiltontx
Textkit Member

Post by donhamiltontx »

imd wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:27 am EX1 L2 and EX2 L3 misspell saccharum as sacharum.

Also, not a typo, but probably an idiosyncrasy of Adler and/or Evan Millner, that you might have some insight into. Adler uses the spelling 'pileus', which dictionaries tell me has a long i, whereas the same give the spelling 'pilleus' a short i. Adler uses 'pileus', but Evan Millner pronounces it short. I don't understand the vagaries of how length is determined or guessed, is someone at fault here, or is this all perfectly licit?
Why not ask Evan? You can PM him here @Metrodorus.