Student edition of Eutropius?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pin130
Textkit Member

Student edition of Eutropius?

Post by pin130 »

Does anyone know of a good student edition of Eutropius, with grammatical notes, etc.? There are a few old reprints on Amazon but I've no idea which if any are good.

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Student edition of Eutropius?

Post by RandyGibbons »

A quick Google search yields this.

pin130
Textkit Member

Post by pin130 »

Thanks Randy. But the price! I wish there were old student editions of the kind they have for Caesar. I guess they studied Caesar and not Eutropius back then.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Hi pin130,

At archive.org there are (at least) two student editions with notes:
- https://archive.org/details/eutropiusadapte00eutrgoog
- https://archive.org/details/bookswithnotesa00eutrgoog

Maybe these will prove helpful.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Not what you probably want now, but for future needs and for readers who already know Greek:

Eutropi Breviarium ab urbe condita cum versionibus graecis

pin130
Textkit Member

Post by pin130 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if Eutropius is considered an easier author than Caeser? I'm just starting to give De Bello Gallico a try, using Walker's student edition with Steadman's PDF and the excellent literal translation found on this site. If it doesn't go, maybe we'll make use of those student editions of Eutropius

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

Caesar is a far superior and more interesting author, but even non-beginners find Eutropius' compendium of Roman history useful. For beginners, yes, the sentences are as easy as you're going to get. I've dabbled with the edition Bedwere referenced, mostly because I wanted to compare the Latin with the Greek.

Good luck with the Caesar. I think Walker is a student edition at its best. (I'm going from memory here, but it seems to me his notes included rendering some indirect speeches into what the words would have been expressed directly. As an exercise I tried my own rendering first, then compared with his. For me this was very useful.)