Is my translation correct

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
TheVarg
Textkit Neophyte

Is my translation correct

Post by TheVarg »

Hi
I am trying to get an accurate translation into Latin for "I am the architect of my pain".

I have this as "Ego faber dolorum meum" ... Is this accurate, also does capitilisation alter its meaning?

Thank you so much in advance
Bruce

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Is my translation correct

Post by jeidsath »

Maybe something like: "in operibus manuum mearum conprehensus sum". It's Psalm 9:16 in English Bibles.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

This may be even better:

infixus sum in interitu quem feci

Psalm 9:15 in English Bibles.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

TheVarg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TheVarg »

Thank you so much..... So are you suggesting there is no direct translation for what I have asked??

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Not at all. You've asked for the translation of a common tattoo theme. My suggestion is really meant as dark humor. I wanted to replace the "millennial on anti-depressants" vibe of the first with something that signaled real despair. "I am sunk down in the pit that I have made" or "I am snared by the work of my own hands" has a serious moral dimension.

Someone needs to check my accidence though. I may have blundered.

TheVarg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TheVarg »

Haha millennial.... I have 2 children that are..... :D

I have spent 25 years deciding what I wanted as a tattoo and you throw dark humour into the Melting pot (which I love by the way) and am now wondering if I prefer your suggestions lol

Any other (shorter) wording in a similar vein ??

As always appreciated !

TheVarg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TheVarg »

Or confirmation of the original translation :) pretty please

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Well, thank you for being a good sport.

Ego faber dolorum meum

You've made pain plural. Here it is in singular, and the verb added in.

faber sum ego mei doloris.

My Latin is not very good, so we'll have to wait for someone who is actually competent to weigh in.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

TheVarg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TheVarg »

Haha life is too short to not live it in humour.... I really appreciate the input... Look forward to some validation and not sounding like a millennial ;)

TheVarg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TheVarg »

Thanks but believe
faber est suae quisque fortunae

Says I'm the architect of my fortune... I truly wanted it as the original wording or emphasise on pain....

Is there a direct translation for " I am the architect of my own pain" .... As per previous comment...

faber sum ego mei doloris

Was suggested by jeidsath but needed validation...

Thanks again
Bruce

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Actually, this is probably an instance in which a Latin author might use the plural:

Ego faber dolorum meorum sum...

BTW faber est suae quisque fortunae translates "Each person is the architect of his own fortune" (an actual Roman sentiment) validates the use of faber. My "edition" of this puts the subject pronoun first and the verb at the end for emphasis. The use of the genitive plural for "my pains" or "my sorrows" also gives it a bit of a poetic feel (at least in my sense of how the plurals tend to be used in certain types of Latin poetry).
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Barry corrects your original meum to meorum. Other than that, your “Ego faber dolorum meum” is fine. The best order would probably be
Faber sum ego meorum dolorum
but you don’t need sum and the crisper
Faber ego mei doloris
is just as good if not better.

But why Latin, when Greek would be so much cooler, and no-one would think it meant "I am the maker of my Dolores" or "My Dolores' ego is absolutely fab."

ΑΛΓΩ ΑΙΤΙΟΣ ΑΥΤΟΣ (lit. "I am in pain, myself [being] responsible"). That's very nice in Greek.

Or if that's too angst-ridden you could use your own “life is too short to not live it in humour”:
ο βιος βραχιων η ωστε μη γελαν.